Fatboy Coxy

Monthly Donor
Whose time? London, Singapore, tokyo, Washington?

It really make me wonder, is there *any* level of defense of Singapore/Malaya that would cause the Japanese to pull enough Army troops from the Philippines to make a significant difference (just as a guide having MacArthur evacuate/die more than a month later, or even survive without evacuating at all)
Hi naraht, that's a good question. In the main, its Singapore time, however, I've been quite bad at this in retrospect, as I'm sure some of my North African times are actually wrong (they maybe Singapore time and not of the appropriate time zone). And again some of the Churchill posts might also be askew. The Pearl Harbor event is defiantly set at Singapore time, but the post will note the Hawaii local time as well.

It's a problem for me because I will have posts that are happening within hours of each other, and I've tried to write everything chronologically. I guess I should have asked how others manage it in their timelines on the writers forum, back when I first started writing. I'll make sure you have a local time as well as the chronological time in future posts.

Regarding the second question, I don't think the Japanese can pull any troops from the Philippines, historically there were some units sent from the Malayan Campaign to the Philippines, but this had been planned pre operations. Perhaps there is a possibility of fixing the British force in Malaya (strategically), and pushing harder through Borneo, developing a central thrust with the two wings (Malaya and Philippines neutralised in stalemate), but the IJN would have the final say in that, not the Army, I think. I think we've got to see if the British can get to a position of holding the Japanese invasion of Malaya first, before we can play out that option, but it's a thought.

Re the MacArthur bit, he's not dying, if that's what your asking, I'll keep him as historical as possible, otherwise he might take over my whole 'what if'

Fatboy Coxy

Monthly Donor
"A whistle blew, which was taken up by other whistles, truck horns, and shouts. Five PM: the working day was done. Vehicles and tools to be secured, time for a shower and change, dinner at 7pm, but a drink first! For the men of 8th Canadian ACC, tomorrow would be an easy day: all dressed up for Sunday service, and then dismissed for an afternoon of sport, or a bit of make and mend, and maybe write a letter for home."-post 5629.

These lads are soon going to be facing an abrupt change in their plans and routines. One hopes in TTL they don't end up building railroads in Thailand.
Hi Draconis, not railroads, as they build airfields, but hold that thought for about, oh, twenty posts!

However to achieve this plainly obviuos improvements you need individual courage to stand out of the mainstream opinion, perception or world view. This would take courage since you will be relentlesly quiestioned, attacked or canceled, to use a modern term. (...) I just want to make clear it takes a lot of mental courage to swim against the stream. This psygological part is often forgotten.
Gave both men the fortitude to totally ignore what was considered the right way to do things, and instead chose to make the sensible but unconventional choices. (...) And as the young man under their respective commands see what’s occurring, they will feel more emboldened to take risks and forward more modern attitudes.
Yes. When you're commanded by someone that has had the experience of going against the mainstream, and then getting undeserved blame for the mainstream having been wrong, then...if you are an independent thinker, similarly not locked into what the mainstream expects...it's far easier for you to *act* intelligently even if the mainstream perspective differs, because your commander sees himself as an independent thinker, and thinks independent thinkers should be valued, and has a good chance of recognizing that you're an independent thinker.

Rommel, for much of his French and North African tenures, was able to act independently and therefore be quite unpredictable by opponents who expected conventional actions, because his ultimate boss...Mr. H...knew from when a younger Rommel had been a military aide that Rommel was an independent thinker with a great deal of initiative and drive to succeed, so Mr. H let the senior military leadership know to give him free rein.

Who's willing to bet he would've STILL been caught with his pants down in April 1942?
Of course because Japan would have had 6 more months to prepare. Of course that's 6 more months for Hart to prepare and get his re-enforcement requests filled. By then Sangley Point would likely have the seaplane pad lengthened to runway length to handle the newerPBY-5As that would have been added to PatWing 10, which would have allowed wheeled aircraft added to Asiatic Fleet. In addition, more facilities at Davo, Illio and Puerto Princessa ; Starting to develop the proposed fleet anchorage at Tutu Bay off Jolo.

Mark1878

Donor
It's a problem for me because I will have posts that are happening within hours of each other, and I've tried to write everything chronologically. I guess I should have asked how others manage it in their timelines on the writers forum, back when I first started writing. I'll make sure you have a local time as well as the chronological time in future posts.
How about giving each post two times - one in the local time e.g. Singapore, Philippines, Hawaii and the other in a constant time zone e.g. GMT or Japanese as I think they used one time zone for all their actions or given the core of this timeline could be Singapore time.

The local time helps to see what the action is about and all helps to match OTL history books e.g. Americans seeing things as 7th December and Singapore as 8th.
The common time zone helps to keep the posts in order.

Fatboy Coxy

Monthly Donor
How about giving each post two times - one in the local time e.g. Singapore, Philippines, Hawaii and the other in a constant time zone e.g. GMT or Japanese as I think they used one time zone for all their actions or given the core of this timeline could be Singapore time.

The local time helps to see what the action is about and all helps to match OTL history books e.g. Americans seeing things as 7th December and Singapore as 8th.
The common time zone helps to keep the posts in order.
Hi Mark1878, yes that's what I'll do going forward.

1941, Saturday 06 December:

The big metal blade of the Le Tourneau Carryall bit into the ground, and began slicing off a layer of earth, rolling it into the hopper. In front, the Canadian driver of the D7 Caterpillar tractor pulling it looked back making sure his scrap line was good. Once full, he would pull the load over to the marshy land to the west. Dumping the earth there would help fill it in, clearing away another source of malaria from stagnant infested water. Further over, another Caterpillar, this one fitted with a Le Tourneau bulldozer, was clearing away scrub and tall grasses. The bigger trees had already been cut down, and the stumps chained and pulled out.

The 8th RCAF Airfield Construction Company had only been here 11 days, having arrived in Singapore on 22 November. There they had been married up with their American Lend-Lease earth-moving equipment. Then they moved up to Mentakab, a small town in Pahang, central Malaya, where a large railway siding had been built. They were here to build an airfield about 65 miles west of Kuantan, which would be used to support that area. So far, their efforts had been concentrated on improving their own living quarters, which would later become the airfield’s accommodation area, carving out new roads, and flattening areas to store building materials, such as aggregate, sand, and timber.

The construction and development of the airfields in Malaya and Singapore was moving ahead. With the three dedicated airfield construction companies, 1st New Zealand, 3rd Canadian, and newly arrived 8th Canadian ACCs, the Public Works Department had been partly freed for other works, such as new roads and railway sidings. But the construction of airfields was continued at pace. The main restriction on development was continued hand-to-mouth reliance on shipped cement.

Singapore was pretty well placed with four operational airfields: Kallang with two fighter squadrons, Tengah with two bomber squadrons, Sembawang, somewhat overcrowded with the FAA squadrons, and Seletar, also overcrowded with an assortment of aircraft. North of the Island was a line of three airfields: Batu Pahat, able to operate a single fighter sqn, Kluang, a much bigger airfield, able to operate up to three squadrons, and Kahang, again with accommodation for a single squadron. 1st New Zealand ACC was at Tebrau, in southern Johore, not far from the causeway. They were developing a major bomber base, which when complete could operate four-engine bombers. It was thought the airfield could be operational by the end of January 1942, when at least one hard runway would be completed, along with some of the infrastructure. They were also employed at Bekok, near Labis, 22 miles NW of Kluang, working on a second heavy bomber airfield, although this wasn’t due to be anywhere near ready until late March or early April 1942. And the last airfield they were responsible for was at Gemas, near the main railway junction, again not partly operational until late March or early April.

Central Malaya was far less well developed. At Batu Berendam, just outside Malacca, a light grass airfield suitable for liaison aircraft had been completed, but no further work had been done here. The airfield at Kuala Lumpur was now developing into a major servicing site, along with the big aero engine workshops nearby. To the west, Port Dickson had a grass runway, and could operate a fighter squadron if needed, but the hard runway and a lot more infrastructure was still awaiting construction. That work wouldn’t be complete until end of February 1942 at best. 30 miles north of Kuala Lumpur at Kerling was a grass landing ground for light aircraft, which had potential for development but nothing was planned at present.

Teluk Anson had a grass landing strip, ideal for liaison flights, and seaplane moorings in the river, while at Sitiawan, near Lumet there was a grass airfield that a fighter squadron could operate out of at a push, but little in the way of supporting buildings. Next up was Ipoh, which was operational with a Fairey Battle squadron based there, but the grass runway wasn’t suitable for extending much further, and facilities were somewhat rudimentary. Progress on developing the site was slow, many other places having a higher priority. And then there was Taiping, fully developed into a station for two bomber squadrons, with all the accommodating infrastructure.

Northwest Malaya had the two big airfields at Butterworth and Sungei Patani, both with hard runaways and accommodation for two bomber squadrons, a fighter squadron based at Bayan Lepas airfield, on Penang Island, and another on the old civilian airfield at Alor Star. A third fighter squadron was based at Kuala Kentil, east of Sungai Patani, where there was a simple grass runway airfield, with few buildings and a lot of tents. 3rd Canadian ACC was up here, still adding facilities to the airfields up here, as well as working on Sungai Bakap, about five miles north of the Perak border, close to the railway line.

And lastly there was Northeast Malaya, with two airfields in Kelantan, at Kota Bharu and Gong Kedah, and one in Kuantan down in Pahang. All had grass runways, and everything was heavily fortified with camouflage netting, earthen banks, sandbags, and slit trenches They were defended by a few 3-inch AA guns, and an assortment of scrounged 40mm pompoms and Vickers and Lewis machine guns. All three airfields were crammed with far more aircraft than was suitable, but needs must. Because of the precarious state of defence in Kelantan, no more airfield development was considered.

A whistle blew, which was taken up by other whistles, truck horns, and shouts. Five PM: the working day was done. Vehicles and tools to be secured, time for a shower and change, dinner at 7pm, but a drink first! For the men of 8th Canadian ACC, tomorrow would be an easy day: all dressed up for Sunday service, and then dismissed for an afternoon of sport, or a bit of make and mend, and maybe write a letter for home.

That's one very long way from here in Central Illinois. At this time all Caterpillar D-7's were made in the East Peoria, IL. Plant ( My Great Uncle was a Millwright there from 1938 until1975), and the Le Tourneau Carryall scraper was built 5 miles North at Le Tourneau's Peoria Plant (1.5 miles from my Grandparents house). I still live in the area, 10 miles from Caterpillar's museum.
Le Tourneau Carryall

Driftless

Donor
D7 Cat and LeTourneau(?) scraper - 1940 (Both pretty heavy duty workhorses for the era)

i848028.jpg

Photo from IMCDb.org

Fatboy Coxy

Monthly Donor
That's one very long way from here in Central Illinois. At this time all Caterpillar D-7's were made in the East Peoria, IL. Plant ( My Great Uncle was a Millwright there from 1938 until1975), and the Le Tourneau Carryall scraper was built 5 miles North at Le Tourneau's Peoria Plant (1.5 miles from my Grandparents house). I still live in the area, 10 miles from Caterpillar's museum.
and
D7 Cat and LeTourneau(?) scraper - 1940 (Both pretty heavy duty workhorses for the era)

i848028.jpg

Photo from IMCDb.org
Hi Butchpfd and Driftless, just shows you how generous the American lend-lease policy could be. Lovely picture Driftless, and that's a lovely connection we've made with your family Butchpfd.

MWI 41120617a RAF Far East Command New

Fatboy Coxy

Monthly Donor
Units or Officers underlined indicates not historical to this Command

For RAF units in Hong Kong, see Hong Kong Garrison OOB

For RAF units in Burma, see Burma Command OOB

GC: Group Captain
WC: Wing Commander
SL: Squadron Leader
"op": operational
"res": reserve

RAF Far East Command

AVM Keith Park
(Malaya, Borneo, Hong Kong)
Subordinate to Lord Gort
HQ – Singapore

RAF 223 Group (Malaya) – Army Air Co-operation
Air Commodore Archibald Herbert Wann

RAF 44 Wing
– GC Edward B. Rice
RAF 34 Sqn – WC G. P. Longfield, + SL Finan O’Driscoll, 12 (+6 res) Blenheim Mk IV bombers (pre 1940) Butterworth
RAF 62 Sqn – WC J. Duncan, + SL E. A. Keegan, 12 (+6 res) Blenheim Mk II bombers (pre 1940) Butterworth
RCAF 407 Sqn – WC?, 12 (+6 res) Blenheim Mk IV bombers (arrived & formed Aug41, op Nov41) Taiping
RAAF 454 Sqn – WC?, 12 (+6 res) Blenheim Mk IV bombers (arrived & formed Aug41, op Nov41) Taiping

Note - RAF 60 Sqn does not come to Malaya, remains in Burma

RCAF 7 Wing – GC Sydney Pope
RAF 226 Sqn – WC Vernon Butler, 16 (+8 res) Battles, based at Sungei Patani
RCAF 404 Sqn – WC Royd Martin Fenwick-Wilson RCAF, 16 (+8 res) Battle bombers (arrived & formed Jun41), Sungei Patani
RCAF 414 Sqn – WC Peter Alexander Gilchrist RCAF, 16 (+8 res) Battle bombers (arrived & formed Sept41), Ipoh

RAF 151 (Fighter) Wing – WC Neville Ramsbottom-Isherwood
RAF 81 – SL Tony Rook, 12 (+4 res) Hurricane fighters (formed Jun41, arrived late Aug41) Alor Star
RCAF 406 – SL Elmer Gaunce, 12 (+4 res) Hurricane fighters (arrived & formed Jul41), Kuala Ketil
RCAF 416 – SL Foss Boulton, 12 (+4 res) Hurricane fighters (arrived & formed Sep41), Bayan Lepas, Penang

RAF 224 Group (Singapore) (Air defence of Singapore and Johore)
Air Commodore Stanley Vincent

RAAF 5 (Fighter) Wing
– Wing Cmdr Peter Jeffrey RAAF
RAAF 450 Sqn – SL Gordon Henry Steege RAAF, 12 (+4 res) Hurricane fighters (arrived & formed Apr41), Butterworth
RAAF 453 Sqn – SL William John Harper, 12 (+4 res) Hurricane fighters (arrived & formed Jul41), Kahang
RAAF 457 Sqn – SL William Faulkner Allshorn RAAF, 12 (+4 res) Hurricane fighters (arrived & formed Jul41) Kota Bharu (this is RAAF 21 renumbered basically)

RNZAF 2 (Fighter) Wing – Wing Cmdr Wilfred Clouston RNZAF
RNZAF 486 SL Frank Jonathan Howell, 12 (+4 res) Hurricane fighters (formed Mar41), Kallang, temp at Kuantan 06Dec41 (this is RAF 243 Sqn renumbered basically)
RNZAF 488 Sqn – SL John Noble Mackenzie, 12 (+4 res) Hurricane fighters (formed Sep41) at Kallang
RAF 134 Sqn – SL Tony Miller, 12 (+4 res) Hurricane fighters (formed Jun41, arrived late Aug41), Kallang (was at Batu Pahat earlier)
RAF 27 Sqn – SL FRC Fowle, 4 Blenheim Mk 1F night fighters with Mk IV AI radar, Feb41, rest used as long-range fighters, Seletar

RAF 42 Wing (Support) – GC Frank E. Watts
RAF OTU (Malaya) – 10 Hurricane Mk IIB fighters, Kluang (Mar41)
RAF 4 AACU Sqn – SL N. W. Wright, 12 Battle Tugs (pre-1940) individual aircraft at various airfields in Singapore/Malaya.
RAF 4 PRU Flight – SL C. R. G. Lewis, 4 (+2 res) Hurricane Mk IIB fighters, Seletar (16Sep41)
RAF Comms Flight - 6 de Havilland Dominies, Seletar (May41)
RAF RDF (Radar) Calibration Flight – three Battle Tugs, Kallang

RAF EFTS (Elementary Flying Training School) (pre-1940) - Port Swettenham Feb41, additional flights at Penang, Ipoh, Kallang.

Malayan Volunteer Air Force (MVAF) Training Flights are part of 42 Wing Feb41 onwards

RAF 225 Group (Coastal) – Anti Shipping and Maritime Recon
Air Commodore Henry Hunter

RAF 41 (Torpedo) Wing
- GC Hugh Mitchell Kirkwood Brown
RAF 36 Sqn – WC R. C. Gaskell, + SL Graham Witney, 12 (+6 res) Vildebeest Mk III torpedo bombers (pre-1940), Gong Kedak, home base Seletar
RAF 100 Sqn – WC R. N. McKern, + SL Ian Rowland, 12 (+6 res) Vildebeest Mk III torpedo bombers (pre-1940), Kuantan, home base Seletar, plus one Beaufort

RAAF 4 (Maritime Recon) Wing – GC J. P. J. McCauley RAAF
RAAF 1 Sqn – WC R. H. Davis, 12 Hudson Mk II bombers, Tengah (Jul40) 12 at Kota Bharu Dec41
RAAF 8 Sqn – WC F. N. Wright, + SL Henderson, 12 Hudson Mk II bombers, Tengah (Aug40) eight at Kuantan Dec41
RAF 205 Sqn – WC L. W. Burgess, 5 Catalinas, Seletar
RAF 212 Sqn (Malaya) – SL Donald Pearson (ex 36 Sqn), 12 (+6 res) Vildebeest MK III bombers based at Penang, Port Swettenham, Singapore. Trained for coastal patrol and ASW, equipped with 100 lb depth charges, not torpedo trained. Manned by local MVAF aircrew and recently trained Chinese ground crew, stiffened with RAF (formed Mar41). 4 sent to Gong Kedak, 4 to Kuantan, and 4 left in Singapore 06Dec41.

RAF Supporting Units

RAF Maintenance Workshops
RAF 151 Maintenance Unit, Seletar Singapore (General Maintenance Service)
RAF 152 Maintenance Unit, Bukit Panjang Singapore (May41) (Main Stores)
RAF 153 Maintenance Unit, Kuala Lumpur (Jun41) (Engines)
RAF 155 Maintenance Unit, Kluang (Assembling and Major Repair)

RAF 81 Repair & Salvage Unit
Section one based at Seletar, section two at Kuala Lumpur, section three at Butterworth.
(Each section is equipped with Coles cranes, 4x4 tractors, and flatbed semi-trailers.)

RIMU (Radio Installation & Maintenance Unit) based at Ponggol, Singapore

Radar Network and Controls
CO – Wing Cmdr Pearce, replaced by Wing Commander Norman Cave (Sept41)
(Need to find a GC for this role)

Southern Sector Air Defence Network
Sector Filter Room, Katong, Singapore, two miles from Kallang Airfield
Fighter Sector Control - Tebrau
Standby for both is Kallang
There is no VHF ground-to-air radiotelephony, which in the UK is considered essential for the successful ground-control of fighters.

Radar Stations Singapore & Johore
511 AMES COL (arrived 11Mar41) - Bukit Chunang, South-East Johore (op 23Sep41) - Ft Lt D. A. Donald
512 AMES COL (arrived 11Mar41) - Tanjong Kupang, South-West Johore (op 25Sep41) - Ft Lt L. J. Audus
250 AMES MRU (arrived 11Mar41), Bukit Timah Hill, Singapore, has 120ft wooden towers (op 14May41) – Ft Lt?
575 AMES COL (arrived 19May41) - Taman Tulong, nr Kota Tinggi (op 10Nov41) – Ft Lt?

Northern Sector Air Defence Network
Sector Filter Room, Glugor, Penang, op early Nov41, serves North-West Malaya – WC Horace Stanley ‘George or Dampers’ Darley DSO, former BoB SL with three kills

Radar Stations North West Network
513 AMES COL (arrived 11Mar41, op 27Aug41) – Bukit Huma, north end of Penang – Ft Lt?
244 AMES TRU (arrived 11Mar41, op Aug41) Kedah Peak (work began Mar41, has 120ft wooden towers) – Ft Lt?

Radar Stations Central Malaya Network
514 AMES COL (arrived 11Mar41, op late Jul41) Kampung Tok Muda, on the northern banks of the river Kaper Besar, nine miles north of Port Swettenham, covers northern land and sea approaches to Kuala Lumpur and Port Swettenham

Radar Stations North East Malaya Network
518 AMES COL (arrived 19May41) – Kuantan (op Aug41) – Ft Lt?
243 AMES TRU (arrived 11Mar41) – Kota Bharu has 120ft wooden towers (op 03Jul41) Ft Lt?

RAF Airfields

Singapore

Seletar – Military airfield with one hard runway, seaplane moorings and slipway, dispersal area with aircraft pens, major maintenance hangar area, extensive accommodation, large storage area, little AA defence, but covered by naval base AA defence. Ongoing work on second hard runway and additional buildings, but overcrowded.

Kallang – Civil airfield with oval grass runway, seaplane moorings and slipway, dispersal areas with aircraft pens, accommodation & maintenance sheds for two fighter squadrons. Fighter control centre for Singapore and Johore. BOAC have flying boat moorings here.

Sembawang – Military airfield with two hard runways (one incomplete), dispersal areas with aircraft pens, accommodation and maintenance sheds for three FAA squadrons, as yet still incomplete, completion date now end January 42.

Tengah – Military airfield with two hard runways, dispersal areas with aircraft pens, accommodation and maintenance sheds for three twin-engine bomber squadrons completed in July 41.

Johore
Kluang – Military airfield with two hard runways, dispersal area with aircraft pens, accommodation and maintenance sheds for two fighter squadrons, OTU unit, AA defensive positions. Also, 155 MU (Aircraft Assembly & Repair) is based here, with further hangars and associated buildings and railway sidings.

Kahang – Military airfield with one hard runway, dispersal area and aircraft pens, accommodation and maintenance sheds for one fighter squadron, AA defensive positions.

Batu Pahat – Ex civil airfield eight miles from town, with one grass runway extended for fighter aircraft. Dispersal area and aircraft pens, accommodation and maintenance sheds for one fighter squadron, AA defensive positions but no guns, seaplane moorings in river on town front.

Muar – Seaplane moorings in river by town.

Tebrau – Military airfield, one hard runway due to complete end Jan 42, second hard runway by March, with dispersal area and aircraft pens, accommodation and maintenance sheds for two heavy (four-engine) bomber squadrons, can be operational on one runway by end Jan 42.

Bekok (near Labis) – Ex civil grass short landing ground, being massively developed with two hard runways, dispersal area and aircraft pens, accommodation and maintenance sheds for two heavy bomber squadrons planned. Airfield has been surveyed, land purchased, and clearance of vegetation begun. May have one hard runway operational by end March 42.

Gemas – Military airfield planned for two hard runways, dispersal area and aircraft pens, accommodation and maintenance sheds for two heavy bomber squadrons. Airfield has been surveyed, land purchased, and clearance of vegetation begun. May have one hard runway operational by end April 42.

Central Malaya
Batu Berendam, grass runway, suitable for liaison aircraft, with few buildings and facilities, serving Malacca, two miles away.

Port Dickson – one grass runway being converted to hard, dispersal area and aircraft pens, accommodation and maintenance sheds for one fighter squadron, AA defensive positions. All work due to complete by end February 42.

Kuala Lumpur – Ex civil airfield with one hard runway, dispersal area and aircraft pens, accommodation for two squadrons, RAF 153 Maintenance Unit (Engines), with major accommodation and maintenance shed area, AA defensive positions. MVAF Flight Training School here.

Port Swettenham – Ex civil airfield with two grass runways, seaplane moorings, dispersal area and aircraft pens, accommodation and maintenance sheds for one fighter squadron will be completed by end of December. AA defensive positions prepared but no guns.

Kerling, 30 miles north of Kuala Lumpur – Civil grass landing ground for light a/c, no buildings, no current plans to develop.

Mentakab, Pahang, 65 miles west of Kuantan - Satellite airfield, planned for one hard runway, accommodation for two squadrons, just started building.

Teluk Anson – Seaplane moorings.

Jendarata (Teluk Anson) – Civil grass landing ground for light aircraft, no facilities, seven miles from town.

Lumut (near Sitiawan) – Ex civil airfield with one grass runway, seaplane moorings, no buildings, limited facilities. Can operate one single-engine squadron at a push, no plans at present to improve site.

Ipoh – Ex civil airfield with one grass runway, incomplete dispersal area and aircraft pens, some hutted and tented accommodation, little maintenance facilities, AA defensive positions prepared but no guns. Can only operate one single-engine squadron.

Taiping – Ex civil airfield, received extensive development, now two hard runways, dispersal area, aircraft pens, maintenance hangars and accommodation for two twin-engine bomber squadrons, can take a third at a push. AA defensive positions provided but no guns deployed.

North East Malaya
Kuantan – two grass runways, dispersal area with some aircraft pens, limited maintenance and accommodation, AA defensive positions prepared and manned. Planned to be able to operate up to two squadrons, currently overcrowded.

Kota Bharu - one grass runway, dispersal area and some aircraft pens, limited maintenance and accommodation, AA defensive positions prepared and manned. Planned to operate one light bomber squadron, currently overcrowded.

Gong Kedak - one grass runway, dispersal area and some aircraft pens, limited maintenance and accommodation, AA defensive positions prepared and manned. Planned to operate one light bomber squadron, currently overcrowded.

Machang – Surveyed for one grass runway, dispersal area and aircraft pens, accommodation and maintenance facilities, AA defensive positions for one fighter squadron. Jan 41, all work stopped after survey.

North West Malaya
Lubok Kiap - Surveyed for two hard runways, dispersal area and aircraft pens, accommodation and maintenance facilities for two bomber squadrons, AA defensive positions. Jan 41, all work stopped after survey, low on priorities.

Malakoff - Surveyed for one hard runway, dispersal area and aircraft pens, accommodation and maintenance facilities for one fighter squadron, AA defensive positions. Jan 41, all work stopped after survey, low on priorities. Planned as satellite for Lubok Kiap.

Bayan Lepas (Penang) – Ex civil airfield with one hard runway, dispersal area and aircraft pens, accommodation and maintenance sheds for one fighter squadron, AA defensive positions. Can take second fighter squadron at a push.

Glugor (Penang) – Seaplane moorings.

Butterworth – one hard runway, 2nd hard runway due to be completed by the end of December, dispersal area and aircraft pens, accommodation and maintenance sheds for two light bomber squadrons, AA defensive positions prepared.

Sungai Bakap - Surveyed for one hard runway, dispersal area and aircraft pens, accommodation and maintenance facilities for one fighter squadron, AA defensive positions. Jan 41, all work stopped after survey, low on priorities. Planned as satellite for Butterworth.

Sungai Patani – two runways, one hard, one part grass, dispersal area and aircraft pens, maintenance sheds and accommodation for two light bomber squadrons, can take a third at a push, AA defensive positions prepared but no guns.

Kuala Ketil - one hard runway, dispersal area and aircraft pens, accommodation and maintenance facilities for one fighter squadron, AA defensive positions. Satellite for Sungai Patani.

Alor Star – Ex-civil airfield, one hard runway, limited dispersal area and aircraft pens, accommodation and maintenance sheds for one bomber squadron, AA defensive positions. Facilities are limited, and has poor defensive layout.

Jabi - Surveyed for one hard runway, dispersal area and aircraft pens, accommodation and maintenance facilities for one fighter squadron, AA defensive positions. Jan 41, all work stopped after survey, low on priorities. Planned as satellite for Alor Star.

Airfield Construction Units
PWD (Public Works Department) and civilian contractors
RNZAF 1st Aerodrome Construction Squadron (arrived 03Jul41)
RCAF 3rd Airfield Construction Company (arrived 13May41)
RCAF 8th Airfield Construction Company (arrived 22Nov41)

RAF Support Ships
RAFA Tung Song – 549t, b1928, 8kts, tender for RAF Sqn 205 Catalinas, Singapore
Wuchang – 3,204t, b1914, requisitioned by Ministry of War Transport in Shanghai 1940, and moved to Singapore for use by the RAF as a floating munitions depot.

The Royal Navy has agreed to provide all air-sea rescue of downed RAF aircrew, and in addition, a bounty is paid for each airman rescued by local fishing boat.

For a comparison the historical airfields can be found here
https://www.britain-at-war.org.uk/W...d_Netherlands_East_Indies/html/appendix_a.htm