No division of Berlin after 1945.

bsmall0627

Kicked
Lets say at the Potsdam conference, all allies agree to allow the entirety of Berlin to be under Soviet control. Without a West Berlin, how will this change the cold war? Would Germany remain divided to the present day without the constant reminder of Berlin?

Last edited:

Sekhmet_D

Kicked
I daresay if the Western Allies and the Soviets are cordial enough to achieve that sort of agreement, there won't be any Cold War. Democracy and Communism will peacefully coexist with no frostiness between them, let alone hostility.

I daresay if the Western Allies and the Soviets are cordial enough to achieve that sort of agreement, there won't be any Cold War. Democracy and Communism will peacefully coexist with no frostiness between them, let alone hostility.

There would be still Cold War. I just can't see how it would be avoided anymore on this point. If not Berlin some another thing would begin that, probably Korea.

bsmall0627

Kicked
I believe the lack of a serious thorn in West Germany’s side will have big changes. First no Berlin blockade.

Lets say at the Yalta conference, all allies agree to allow the entirety of Berlin to be under Soviet control. Without a West Berlin, how will this change the cold war? Would Germany remain divided to the present day without the constant reminder of Berlin?
I don't see Stalin could get all of Berlin.
The problem is that it wasn't even certain whether Germany was going to be divided at that time.

bsmall0627

Kicked
I don't see Stalin could get all of Berlin.
The problem is that it wasn't even certain whether Germany was going to be divided at that time.
I meant to say Potsdam conference. Thats the one where germany was planned to be divided.

I meant to say Potsdam conference. Thats the one where germany was planned to be divided.
The answer is the same.
At the time of the Potsdam Conference, it was still far from certain that Germany would be permanently divided.
Thus, the creation of a multi-zone Berlin made sense.