Nobunaga’s Ambition Realized: Dawn of a New Rising Sun

The Four Books and Five Classics are taught and the four occupations still loosely apply but outside of that neo-Confucianism is not influential at all.
Ah that makes a lot of sense. So there's a lot less cross-cultural spread than I first thought.

I hope Journey to the West gets through though. It is the quintessential East Asian story after all.

Or the Qing will survive exiled in Ryuku!
I don’t know - the islands are too close to Japan and have too small an area and population. So, without protection from China, they will be annexed and assimilated.
I agree. I think Okinawa should be annexed by Japan, which should be very easy to pull off when they're a lot smaller than their giant Chinese allies.
I'd still like for an independent South China honestly.
Same. I do hope we see China breaking apart and forming new states that change and develop beyond the Chinese state would be very interesting.

So, since we’re about to heading in the 18th century. I wonder how the Age of Enlightenment will be altered by this point, with the changes in Europe, such as the Stuarts in power of England.

Also, I’m wondering if the Age of Enlightenment books will make their way into Japan, gets translated, and from there leaks it’s way into the rest of Asia?

I’m wondering how some of the traditionalists or even Neo-Confucians react to Enlightenment Philosophy? Or maybe we can see a Fusion between Confucianism and Enlightenment Philosophy.

I hope Neo-Confucianism begins to die (or at least reform) when the Age of Enlightenment arrives since the former has kept China in stagnation or at least slow down modernization effort and led to Joseon and Japan to take advantage of their isolationist ideas.

Last edited:
I hope Neo-Confucianism begins to die (or at least reform) when the Age of Enlightenment arrives since the former has kept China in stagnation or at least slow down modernization effort and led to Joseon and Japan to take advantage of their isolationist ideas.
Yeah same

So, since we’re about to heading in the 18th century. I wonder how the Age of Enlightenment will be altered by this point, with the changes in Europe, such as the Stuarts in power of England.

Also, I’m wondering if the Age of Enlightenment books will make their way into Japan, gets translated, and from there leaks it’s way into the rest of Asia?

I’m wondering how some of the traditionalists or even Neo-Confucians react to Enlightenment Philosophy? Or maybe we can see a Fusion between Confucianism and Enlightenment Philosophy.
All I can say atm is that the flow of books and knowledge between Europe and Asia, especially Japan, will only increase not only from Europe to Asia but also from Asia to Europe, and that translations of books will only become more frequent.

All I can say atm is that the flow of books and knowledge between Europe and Asia, especially Japan, will only increase not only from Europe to Asia but also from Asia to Europe, and that translations of books will only become more frequent.
Now, I am kinda wondering how those European readers will fanboy over the likes of Kusunoki Masashige and Kitabatake Akiie; hell, the more open-minded and humanist of the readers can realise the sympathy for Ashikaga Takauji several centuries ahead of Eiji Yoshikawa's work IOTL.

tbf I don't see it happen. Unlike Japan conservatism is a lot more ingrained in the court structures that the Ming dynasty is under.

You'd at least need the Ming to fall for this to happen.
That makes a lot of sense, with Japan being competitive in Asia the Europeans would trade concepts in philosophy and technology as Japan continues to innovate alongside the Europeans.

I could see ittl being slightly more advanced than otl just bc Japan is present to invent certain technologies.

PS how do the Japanese view time ittl? Do they still use the native system or are they warming up to the Western way of counting time?

PS how do the Japanese view time ittl? Do they still use the native system or are they warming up to the Western way of counting time?
On the contrary, the Europeans can find Japanese clockmaking interesting even if they won't adopt the system themselves; they can always credit the craftsmanship where it's due, after all.

It’s not a fact that this will help - the later Ming established connections with the Jesuits, and could take some liberties. While the Qing dynasty was for a long time viewed as foreign conquerors and did not have such legitimacy in the eyes of officials. Therefore, they deliberately cajoled conservative dignitaries in order to create at least some support for themselves.

On the contrary, the Europeans can find Japanese clockmaking interesting even if they won't adopt the system themselves; they can always credit the craftsmanship where it's due, after all.
I think that will happen, but I am curious about it bc the Japanese used a different hourly system which keeps '6 o'clock' at dawn and dusk.
It’s not a fact that this will help - the later Ming established connections with the Jesuits, and could take some liberties. While the Qing dynasty was for a long time viewed as foreign conquerors and did not have such legitimacy in the eyes of officials. Therefore, they deliberately cajoled conservative dignitaries in order to create at least some support for themselves.
Not really. The court system would be too ossified at that point for it to be implemented in any capacity. It is the Late Ming after all. You'd need a shakeup for such philosophical innovations to be taken in and developed.

Speaking of what's the situation with Japanese philosophy? With Neo-Confucianism being dead in the water in Japan I wonder what philosophical developments will Japan develop, especially with western philosophy and Christianity entering Japanese culture and spreading the thoughts that 'all men are created equal' I wonder how it would affect Japan in general.

tbf I don't see it happen. Unlike Japan conservatism is a lot more ingrained in the court structures that the Ming dynasty is under.

That makes a lot of sense, with Japan being competitive in Asia the Europeans would trade concepts in philosophy and technology as Japan continues to innovate alongside the Europeans.

I could see ittl being slightly more advanced than otl just bc Japan is present to invent certain technologies.

Are you talking about daily time or the calendar? Japan is still using the lunisolar calendar like IOTL but in terms of daily time, there’s a move towards the Western style. I hope I’m answering your question correctly.
I think that will happen, but I am curious about it bc the Japanese used a different hourly system which keeps '6 o'clock' at dawn and dusk.

Not really. The court system would be too ossified at that point for it to be implemented in any capacity. It is the Late Ming after all. You'd need a shakeup for such philosophical innovations to be taken in and developed.

Speaking of what's the situation with Japanese philosophy? With Neo-Confucianism being dead in the water in Japan I wonder what philosophical developments will Japan develop, especially with western philosophy and Christianity entering Japanese culture and spreading the thoughts that 'all men are created equal' I wonder how it would affect Japan in general.
There’s a greater emphasis and appreciation of Japan’s native works and philosophies ie a less nationalistic version of kokugaku ie wagaku. Otherwise, it’s still mostly an evolving continuation of Japan’s pre-existing philosophies with Western influences.

Are you talking about daily time or the calendar? Japan is still using the lunisolar calendar like IOTL but in terms of daily time, there’s a move towards the Western style. I hope I’m answering your question correctly.
Yeah I was thinking of daily time. I forgot about the calendar BC I feel it's a lot more usable than shifting the hours every two weeks.

I do feel they'd use the western calendar but the lunisolar calendar would still keep it's primacy.
There’s a greater emphasis and appreciation of Japan’s native works and philosophies ie a less nationalistic version of kokugaku ie wagaku. Otherwise, it’s still mostly an evolving continuation of Japan’s pre-existing philosophies with Western influences.
Ahh ic. So the tales of Genji and co would be more important? I've no idea how exactly this would affect Japan's philosophy BC I've not read any of it. But at least western philosophy would probably move Japanese morality into a less clan oriented one which would be interesting.