The new titles are great, but I think that at least SOME of Sega's older franchises should stay.

They could make Alex Kidd their answer to Mario with Ristar being retconned into the Alex Kidd universe while Sonic does his own thing.

However, Vectorman should stay as the beginning of a superhero franchise.

Virtua Fighter and Streets of Rage? I would not mind seeing them merge into one new franchise.

Also, I can't wait to see Sega's attempts in the entertainment field.

Is it possible that Sega could start a cable network?
@TheDoofusUser?

The new titles are great, but I think that at least SOME of Sega's older franchises should stay.

They could make Alex Kidd their answer to Mario with Ristar being retconned into the Alex Kidd universe while Sonic does his own thing.

However, Vectorman should stay as the beginning of a superhero franchise.

Virtua Fighter and Streets of Rage? I would not mind seeing them merge into one new franchise.

Also, I can't wait to see Sega's attempts in the entertainment field.

Is it possible that Sega could start a cable network?
well truth be told, I have never really known SEGA games outside of Sonic and Bakugan in comparison to SONY and Nintendo games that I know about, so dropping most SEGA franchises seemed reasonable for someone who knows little of SEGA games outside of Sonic (and any SEGA TL is going to focus primarily on Sonic, since our lil Blue Hedgehog has been through the works and needs the focus).

As for a SEGA cable channel there's a chance but it's less likely and more likely SEGA instead licenses their shows to channels like AS, CC, or SpikeTV or some other channel that'll take Anime and stuff.

I think it might lead to something interesting? Wallace & Gromit game when? He always wanted to collab with Aardman, and did so at DreamWorks.
no true idea but it is possible along with better games for the other flagship franchises of Dreamworks from OTL.

well truth be told, I have never really known SEGA games outside of Sonic and Bakugan in comparison to SONY and Nintendo games that I know about, so dropping most SEGA franchises seemed reasonable for someone who knows little of SEGA games outside of Sonic (and any SEGA TL is going to focus primarily on Sonic, since our lil Blue Hedgehog has been through the works and needs the focus).

I think you should've done your due diligence and enough research and fixed enough of your lack of Sega knowledge before you began seriously considering writing any Sega-themed gaming timelines, then come back after you'd done that. The Internet abounds in resources, and forum members are happy to give guidance and answer questions, directional or otherwise, in the general gaming and pop culture threads. The way things stand now doesn't really inspire enough confidence that this thread is and will be one worth continuing to follow; I may well drop it.

The first real thing that they actually agreed on really surprised me, when both men told their departments to cancel some of the games they were working on and instead create four titles that would go in tandem with Sonic, being : Xinyak, which was basically their attempt to make a game similar to Metroid what with a intergalactic bounty huntress, The Tale of Emilia, which was their answer to Legend of Zelda, Mesozoic Disaster, which was their own original idea for a horror game with Dinosaurs being the main antagonists to jump on that Jurassic Park craze, and then there was Rule of Law, which was a nation simulator where players could make their own rpg decisions to lead a fictional nation to a golden age.
"So, I was the one who suggested coming up with the ideas for both Xinyak and The Tale of Emilia during a meeting on new games we could make while SEGA sent off their old franchise off with a final hurrah on both the CD and the Saturn. So, I was put in the head of their creative teams, with Xinyak being given 75 people and Emilia being given 53. I hated how many hours I worked but I guess it was worth it because those two definitely stood the tests of time and survived while Mesozoic Disaster and Rule of Law completely failed by their third games with newer titles replacing them. So, I had to come up with the basic concepts, designs, and ideas for the characters. For Xinyak, I created its main character first, being Jessica, a brunette with green eyes and a similar body plan to Samus, though their similarities just about ended there, considering that in Xinyak, there is no intergalactic government, the galaxy is largely lawless with various races fighting one another for supremacy, and Jessica doing bounties to bring in cash for her poor family back on Earth. Meanwhile, for the Tale of Emilia, the main character, Emilia, was an orphaned girl who would grow up to be the great hero of her time. Honestly, both games were giant endeavors for me to take but I was proud of what came of them by the end. I was made Sole director of Xinyak for the next decade while I let my friend, Yukawa-san, in control of Emilia." - Kinji Chikae, Creator of the Xinyak and Tale of Emilia game franchises during an interview with SEGA Retro in 2017.
Having Sega bet half of its success at the Saturn's launch on somewhat-obvious mirrors to/rip-offs of two Nintendo franchises is a lot likelier to fail and blow up in their faces than it is to be a winning strategy unless the company's execution and delivery of these titles is flawless. Would they really be distinct enough from their distaff counterparts across the market competition aisle? And having all the successful games spawn franchises just seems a bit too contrived and perfect.

It strikes me that, as a partial alternative that I'll put on the table as an option, you could make it so that at least Tale of Emilia is a second- or third-party Saturn game that either Sega or Sony decides they like enough to sign on as its publisher. Its developer could then be a smaller studio that grows later; maybe this is even its debut title. Games that are knock-offs of other titles, including high-impact ones, can sometimes be at least somewhat more forgivable when they come from smaller teams, particularly when they still have one or more elements that make them unique compared to their inspiration.

Wait, so no Panzer Dragoon or continuations of Genesis series like Shinobi for the Saturn?
I agree; this is a non-trivially large mistake. Keep Sega/s classic series alive and platform highlights (like Panzer Dragoon, for instance,) intact in this timeline alongside new content original to it. For Sega to satay profitable and/or successful and in the running in the console hardware market, the company needs to retain its unique character and platform personality to a not-insignificant extent alongside any distinct evolutions unique to any take on a Sega/Sony partnership in that timeline's future as history diverges from our timeline's. Unique things can be awesome in gaming AH, too, but throwing too much from our timeline out is too high of a cost for the trade. What needs to be struck and maintained is balance, particularly and especially this early on after the PoD.

Why not have Sega or Sony bring the:
  • Ultima series
  • Wizardry series and/or one or more of its spin-offs
  • Might and Magic series
  • Breath of Fire series. from onward
over?

Last edited:
You should........do a bit of research...
As for a SEGA cable channel there's a chance but it's less likely and more likely SEGA instead licenses their shows to channels like AS, CC, or SpikeTV or some other channel that'll take Anime and stuff.
Well, I was figuring that maybe them team up with Sony in Japan to launch Animax.
no true idea but it is possible along with better games for the other flagship franchises of Dreamworks from OTL.
What other franchises will they have ITTL?

I think you should've done your due diligence and enough research and fixed enough of your lack of Sega knowledge before you began seriously considering writing any Sega-themed gaming timelines, then come back after you'd done that. The Internet abounds in resources, and forum members are happy to give guidance and answer questions, directional or otherwise, in the general gaming and pop culture threads. The way things stand now doesn't really inspire enough confidence that this thread is and will be one worth continuing to follow; I may well drop it.

Having Sega bet half of its success at the Saturn's launch on somewhat-obvious mirrors to/rip-offs of two Nintendo franchises is a lot likelier to fail and blow up in their faces than it is to be a winning strategy unless the company's execution and delivery of these titles is flawless. Would they really be distinct enough from their distaff counterparts across the market competition aisle? And having all the successful games spawn franchises just seems a bit too contrived and perfect.

It strikes me that, as a partial alternative that I'll put on the table as an option, you could make it so that at least Tale of Emilia is a second- or third-party Saturn game that either Sega or Sony decides they like enough to sign on as its publisher. Its developer could then be a smaller studio that grows later; maybe this is even its debut title. Games that are knock-offs of other titles, including high-impact ones, can sometimes be at least somewhat more forgivable when they come from smaller teams, particularly when they still have one or more elements that make them unique compared to their inspiration.

I agree; this is a non-trivially large mistake. Keep Sega/s classic series alive and platform highlights (like Panzer Dragoon, for instance,) intact in this timeline alongside new content original to it. For Sega to satay profitable and/or successful and in the running in the console hardware market, the company needs to retain its unique character and platform personality to a not-insignificant extent alongside any distinct evolutions unique to any take on a Sega/Sony partnership in that timeline's future as history diverges from our timeline's. Unique things can be awesome in gaming AH, too, but throwing too much from our timeline out is too high of a cost for the trade. What needs to be struck and maintained is balance, particularly and especially this early on after the PoD.

Why not have Sega or Sony bring the:
  • Ultima series
  • Wizardry series and/or one or more of its spin-offs
  • Might and Magic series
  • Breath of Fire series. from onward
over?
I got on board this timeline on the prospect of a Sonic series without Ken Penders.
Right.

I got on board this timeline on the prospect of a Sonic series without Ken Penders.
Penders was an asshole but without him that means no scourge and the anti freedom fighters, Harvey who, Geoffrey st John and the substitute freedom fighters, doctor quack, Hershey the cat, Jules and bernadette hedgehog, drago wolf and wolf pack freedom fighter members not named lupe, Rob o the hedge and the crazy kritter freedom fighters, Alicia and Elias acorn, sleuth dawg, and concepts like the cosmic interstate and the pre sa1 echidna society.

Penders was an asshole but without him that means no scourge and the anti freedom fighters, Harvey who, Geoffrey st John and the substitute freedom fighters, doctor quack, Hershey the cat, Jules and bernadette hedgehog, drago wolf and wolf pack freedom fighter members not named lupe, Rob o the hedge and the crazy kritter freedom fighters, Alicia and Elias acorn, sleuth dawg, and concepts like the cosmic interstate and the pre sa1 echidna society.
If it means having consistent and strong characterization, world building that compliments the video games, and has Toriyama's eye for humor and vehicle designs. I say it would be worth the sacrifice since it would just be IDW Sonic just two decades earlier than.

Besides that, Sonic wouldn't be such a taboo character to be a fan of like OTL.