WI/PC United Deterrent in Western Europe.

In a previous thread some months ago, I asked if it possible for Germany, Italy and the Netherlands with some other nations included could put their own deterrents into service in the form of SSBN's.

With this in mind and excluding the UK.

How plausible would it be for the Western European nations that are part of NATO (including France) to club together to fund a joint/united deterrent based on SSBN's?

What I was thinking of is a fleet of 20 boats, each with French designed and manufactured missiles and a mixed European crew from the joint nations, funded and run as the NATO E-8 Sentry force is.

You could even for effect and in the same way as the E-3 fleet, have them registered to the Luxembourg Navy, although it's a land locked nation.

Would this be possible or work?

Regards filers.

The main question is what's the driver for this? It's going to be bloody expensive so without a rather large point of divergence why will they decide to spend all this money rather than relying on the American, British, and French umbrellas and the American-led nuclear weapons sharing via NATO as in our timeline?

TFSmith121

Banned
There was actually some planning for a NATO-manned force, known at the time as the Multilateral Force (MLF), with Polaris submarines and/or silos in surface ships, in the late 1950s and early 1960s. For a variety of reasons, cost and C3I issues, it fell by the wayside; a lack of a significant mission was a big part of it, as well.

Best,

The main question is what's the driver for this? It's going to be bloody expensive so without a rather large point of divergence why will they decide to spend all this money rather than relying on the American, British, and French umbrellas and the American-led nuclear weapons sharing via NATO as in our timeline?

I was thinking along the lines as to what is going on in regards to European Federalism.

There are plans already to create an European Joint Army Force, (some elements are training together down on Salisbury Plain).

Also what if Western European nations thought that the US and the USSR would try and use the continent as there own personnel battlefield thus allowing both the US and USSR to get away free from damage if a NATO/WARPAC war escalated, like when Cruise, Pershing and the SS-20's were installed and couldn't be trusted to keep the peace and thus needed a deterrent to allay those fears.

As for the cost, apart from the initial investment in development and construction you're possibly looking at no more than £10 billion ($ 16 billion) for 20 SSBN's per year.

NOTE: £2 billion was the cost of keeping 4 Vanguards in service for the RN per year according to Newsnight BBC2 in 2010.

Regards filers.