A Dream Called Rome

Corbulo being Britannicus' Agrippa will prove very handy. I do wonder if Boudica's rebellion will pop up as in OTL or if it's butterflied away.

"Chaos in Rome" does not have a good ring to it. An attempted coup to keep Claudius' son from succeeding to the throne?

Boudicca's rebellion will still pop up however it will start from similar circumstances but with deeper ties to what the Chaos in Rome will be about. Your about correct

Chapter 4 The Chaos Begins 57-60CE
Chapter 4

57CE

Britannicus watched as his best childhood freind, Titus, who was 2 years older than himself, wave his final goodbyes and begin his travel north and all he could feel was envy and jealousy. Titus was about to embark on the beginning of his Cursus Honorum as a Tribune in the Rhine legions. The first step in any patricians career, except for that of Britannicus. Britannicus had enjoyed an accelerated career skipping tribune and was currently in his second year as a Qeauster. And was expected in the new year to take a 2 year term as Aedile, a position that normally wasn't held until the age of 36, he would hold it nearly 19 years early, at 17. That was if he lived that long.

Ever since Lucius Junius Silanus had married his sister a two years ago, their son had been born only a year ago, having dispensed with his families cognomen, named Lucius Junius Nero, Britannicus could feel the freedmen of his father playing their games. Narcissus had staunchly stood behind Silanus positioning him to be the Emperors Hier instead of Britannicus, which had won Silanus a suffect consulship in 54CE, taking over for his cousin another Marcus Junius Silanus, and if the rumors where right his eldest brother Marcus could be potentially named govenor of Pannonia or Moseia giving him command over several legions. This left Decimus the second son of their father, who if his information was right, Narcissus wanted to have named prefect of Rome, which would be a dangerous thing if it happened.

Britannicus had for his part decided it was better to be apart of these games and had decided it best he pick one of the freedmen to be his sponsor lest they all conspire to have him replaced, which is why his informant was Marcus Antonius Pallas, the secretary of the treasury. While he doubted Pallas's total loyalty, he had decided the freedman would be at the very least useful in keeping Britannicus alive.

59CE

Lucius Silanus looked at the men around him. Men such as Narcissus, the Praetorian Prefect Lucius Lusius Geta, his brother Decimus, Lucius Vitellius, as well as several of the Calpurnii Pisones, and several other senators of minor note.

Narcissus began the meeting. "Everything is in place." He looked around at the men at the table. "Marcus Junius Silanus has defeated the raid that hit his province of Pannonia. With him we will have 3 legions, the XV Apollinaris, XI Claudia" he smiled at the irony, "and the XIII Gemina. Furthermore, we have managed to have Aulus Vitellius Named govenor of Moesia Inferior and Superior. His task is to have the legions VII Claudia, V Macedonica, and VIII Augusta come to our side."

"To aid us is Corbulos Parthian War, and our other diversion is coming along nicely. Our procurator in Britannia Catus Decianus, will do as we have asked, which is to demand all the gold Claudius lent the Iceni tribe and break the tribe. I explicitly told him that he is to go to far and provoke the tribe into revolt, as it will be necessary as to involve the Rhine legions, so that they cannot do anything with the chaos to their north. This should be all be in place in the new year. Meaning we shall soon have a new Augustus." All eyes turned to Silanus who only smiled arrogantly.

60CE

Claudius read the message, and he and the senate where aghast at the news from Britannia. The Iceni had revolted for reasons unknown. The rider that had arrived at the capital had ridden as hard as possible, the news having been relayed several times and the messengers riding day and night. What would normally taken several weeks had been delivered in 7 days, with riders having pushed their horses to near death. Word was that Camulodunom was already razed by the rebellion, and that Gaius Suetonius Paulinus and his two legions XIV and XX where cut off campaigning in the north west of the province, and that the situation was critical.

The situation was just as Narcissus and Silanus had intended. However what they didn't anticipate was the Emperors reaction. Giving the senate some time to digest the news and to debate their reaction. Marcus Antonius Pallas, who was present along with the other freedmen of Claudius was seen whispering into Claudius ear, Claudius then called for silence and spoke, with determination and without much stutter. "With the recent news of this serious situation. I believe and with the senates approval that we send someone of authority and of significant relevance to my family to the province with reinforcements to restore order and support govenor Paulinus."

Immediately there where hushed tones. While many looked to Silanus and Narcissus, Narcissus gave a silent but deadly glare to Pallas. The motion given quickly passed, all that was left was to name the man to be sent. Claudius then spoke. "I believe that the best person to send to oversee these operations should be no one other than a man named after the Province, my own son Tiberius Claudius Caesar Britannicus!" Immediately a roar of approval came from the senate. "To give him the suitable power to deal with this situation I believe that the senate should confer upon my son the same powers I have, as well as Pro-Consular powers, with power over all provinces in order to deal with this Crisis!"

This motion again passed without any resistance.

The next day Britannicus was seen leaving the city with him were 3 Cohorts of the Praetorian Guard, with him as well was the brother of the City Prefect Sabinus, and father to Titus, Flavius Vespasianus, assigned to the mission as an advisor for his experience in the province.

As the imperial Prince who now in essence was his father's co emperor left Rome, Narcissus looked at Silanus, and the two nodded. In secret they spoke. "This changes nothing."

Chapter 5: 60AD The End of Claudius
Chapter 5

Britannicus looked at Vespasianus, while the two had known each other well before Britannicus could remember since his birth, and was close freinds with his son Titus, he could only recall having talked to Vespasianus a handful of times over the years, though having spent lots of time in the same rooms in councils and family dinners. The past week he had begun to like the senator, an experienced veteran soldier, with a commanding personality when needed, and on the other hand Witty and good humored, with amiable manners.

"Vespasianus, ever since Pallas whispered into my father's ear before the senate, and my father declared this expedition, I've been wondering why? While I don't doubt that this is a critical situation, even at this pace we've been marching, nearly time and half, we will only reach the Rhine in maybe a month to month and a half. This rebellion will most likely be dealt with by then or suitable reinforcements from the Rhine sent in to control the situation. If anything we will be a hinderance?"

Vespasianus nodded. "You are right, I know Suetonius Paulinus well, just as me and your betrothed's father Corbulo are close acquaintances, if not freinds. Paulinus by the time we have reached Britannia will have turned his troops around and struck hard and fast. I don't know if he will have defeated the rebels it will depend on many factors. But a battle will be fought well before we are arrive. What is important is that you show up and are able to do the campaign of retribution before the fall arrives. It'll do much for your reputation even if it is just burning a few huts that are barely occupied." Vespasianus stopped, looked at the Caesar. "I've known Antonius Pallas ever since I first started my career, and hes done extremely well for himself and has on occasion helped my family, and I believe that he has other reasons for getting you out of Rome."

Britannicus inquisitively looked at Vespasianus. "Your talking about trying to get me away from events Pallas can't control." Vespasianus looked straight forward and gave a small nod of his head. "Then if Pallas believes there is a plot or coup about to happen, why not convince my father of that, he must have some evidence."

Vespasianus sighed. "Unfortunately he does not have suitable evidence for it. He told me as much himself. Whatever small evidence he can find is not enough to incriminate those who whish your father ill, it is enough to show there is a plot, but if he was to rip the blanket of it to quickly many may be able to escape the consequences and try again. He believes the rebellion in Britannia is apart of the ploters plan, and that they will strike soon, after all the legions in the north will now be to occupied to march south and prevent anything. By sending us north, he only hopes that you can lead those legions south and gain retribution."

Britannicus nodded, "then I will do my best to do that."

Germania
The govenors of Germania Inferior Lucius Duvius Avitus, and Superior Titus Curtilius Mancius where both awaiting Caesar upon reaching Bonna on June 13th, around 43 days after they had left Rome, a fairly quick march by most standards. Amongst them where there legates and Lactivlavian Tribunes, or legionary second commands, one of which Britannicus was happy to see as Titus, only recently having been ordered to the position for the XVI Gallica.

The meeting was about the rebellion in Britannia. Which news had just arrived a week before that Suetonius Paulinus had crushingly defeated the army of Boudicca somewhere along the route of the road Via Britannia (Watling Street).

During the course of the meeting it was decided that while Britannicus would still lead troops to Britannia some small cavalry forces having already crossed, he would take half of the I Germanica, half the XVI Gallica and half the V Auladae, all lead by their Primi Pili and their Leading Tribunes. While this force would take approximately 2 weeks to gather at the coast, they would then cross and move to Londinium which was razed by the Iceni rebels and their allies, meet up with Paulinus and march upon the tribes homeland.

Britannia

In the end the retribution campaign would take only a matter of 2 months, by which time, Britannicus would take his troops back to the Rhine. During his time in Britannia, Britannicus would lead the combined forces of his and Paulinus men, and razed much of the Iceni homeland, and ravaged any of their allies in the area. While most of the action at this time was just plundering settlements and skirmishing, Britannicus is said to have gained the love of his men, and those of Britannia for coming to their aid as fast as possible. He would begin the rebuilding of Camulodunom and Londinium and sent for supplies and aid from Gaul. The reputation that the young Caesar made in Britannia was that of a serious young man, who took rebellion seriously and delivered it's justice rapidly and without mercy. For his own people they cheered him, he proved the image of a caring princeps who gave much financial aid when needed and put the people first. Upon his return in the September of 60 however he would be greeted by terrible news from Rome.

Rome
June 15th

The Senate gathered as news spread around the City. Claudius was dead, having died shortly after having his dinner, having been in the company of his daughters and son in laws Fausts Cornelius Sulla and Lucius Junius Silanus, with his Wife having died the year before due to a short illness. Titus Flavius Sabinus, Prefect of Rome watched nervously as the senators filed in. Pallas had already told him of what to expect for the day which is why his son who had only just returned from commanding the XXII Primegenia on the Rhine had already taken his and Vespasianus family out of Rome, with Pallas and several other senators who didn't wish to be apart of what followed, and where on their way to the Rhine.

Soon Lucius Junius Silanus walked into the senate hall, being the last to arrive, having just left the Emperors Palace. He marched with purpose onto the center floor, and before either Consul spoke, he began his speech, which Sabinus guessed had been made months ago.

"Conscript Fathers, it is with greif in my heart and that of every Roman that I must announce, The Augustus is dead." While some senators had known what the emergency meeting was about many didn't and a shocked gasp rolled through the crowd. "While I say this isn't suprising considering that his health had been on the decline it is still a terrible loss for the Empire, and we must look forward for Romes sake." Silanus raised his hand from within his Toga, producing a scroll. "This is the will of Tiberius Claudius Germanicus Caesar Augustus. Inside of it he asks us to reconfirm his son in his roles and grant him the name Augustus, finishing the succession to his only son." Here Silanus face contorted in rage and he ripped the will into pieces, leaving the senate in shock. "Britannicus however is not in Rome, he is away in the provinces! Which I believe gives us the senate the power to change the course of history!

Ever since the death of Augustus, Rome has been ruled by the descendants of Livia and Tiberius Claudius Nero. For that we got the madness and disgraceful reign of Tiberius, who went mad while he sat on an island and let his praetorians rule for him. Then came Caligula, we all seen the excess and depravity that followed that man, who was not even a decade older than the man who we are now asked to reconfirm as Augustus of Rome, the only other male of that family a spoiled man who cant even bring himself to honor our traditions by joining the cursus honorum, and instead sings and dances like a stage hand. So I ask you father's of Rome, do we bring back someone who may be another Caligula, and is not even directly related to Augustus, or do we find someone who truly has the blood of Augustus in his veigns, someone who will have the continuity of blood from Augustus, and with ties to Claudius. I ask you father's will you do what is right for Rome and declare me Augustus of Rome!"

Everyone was quite and shocked by this sudden power grab. And while some cheered, some were equally silent. Some debate even started to begin. However lacking the support that he thought he might gain from his eloquent speech, Silanus looked at the doors the Julia Curia and waved someone in. In marched the Praetorian Guard. Dozens off soldiers formed an orbis formation around Silanus, and more lined the outside of the room while dozens held the entrance to the room. "Senators, I gave you a chance to take the fate of Rome and change it from what the Claudians are leading us towards. It looks like you are wavering in seizing the moment. So I demand you now to name me Augustus so I can make right the fate of Rome!"

Without hesitation the senate loudly began to proclaim Lucius Silanus as Emperor of Rome

Oh boy, an attempted coup in Rome... Britannicus will need to march his legions back to put down the insurrection. And the Praetorians are doing what Praetorians do best: switching emperors as desired.

Oh boy, an attempted coup in Rome... Britannicus will need to march his legions back to put down the insurrection. And the Praetorians are doing what Praetorians do best: switching emperors as desired.

Yep it's quite the situation the young Caesar has found himself in, however his position is much better than had he still been in Rome, Pallas's quick thinking may have saved his life

Chapter 6: Preparation
Chapter 6

60AD
September

The expression that Britannicus had fixed onto Flavius Sabinus was of grim determination not fear or horror as the senator had expected. Sabinus had relayed Silanus's speech nearly word for word. Before beginning their tale of escape. Silanus had seen Sabinus as a threat as prefect of Rome and commander of the urban cohorts, and had stripped him of his position. It was only due to the help of several centuries of the cohorts and their centurions that Sabinus had been able to escape the city in flight as Silanus had attempted to have him captured. With him Sabinus had brought his, and vespasians families. Antonius Pallas, and importantly Britannicus's wife to be Domitia, and several other senators who had joined him in the flight north, including disgustingly for Britannicus, his cousin Domitius Ahenobarbus.

Britannicus turned to everyone else with him. Vespasian, Duvius Avitus, and Curtilius Mancius, along with several Legates, including Lucius Verginius Rufus of the I Germanica, and Lucius Cornelius Pusio of the XVI Gallica. "Gentleman it would seem we have found ourselves admit not just a coup, but a civil war." He looked around at the men. "While I want to begin preperations for marching south with the XVI and I legions and gather Vexilations on the way from the XXII IV and XXI legions, we must send out the necessary messengers and first make sure we have the loyalty of every legion in the region. Once that is done we need to reach the alps before winter has hit them and cross into Italia, the faster we march south, the quicker and less bloody this will be."

Everyone nodded however it was auctually the legate Verginius Rufus who spoke first. "Caesar if I may. I was born in Northern Italia. I know the weather. It is already late September, by the time we reach the alps with a sizable force to retake Rome, it will be the end of October, and the snow will already be waist deep in the mountain passes, and getting deeper by the day, until it is taller than a man by the end of November."

Vespasianus then spoke. "If I may Caesar. While your command is decisive, ambitious and, honourable in its intentions. Hannibal once did the same feat and look what it cost him, and even if we march around the alps and take the coastal route, we will be trapped away from reinforcements should the legions from the danube arrive to join the Usurper."

Everyone nodded. Britannicus slapped his thigh and nodded. "Yes you men are correct. It is my inexperienced view that would have lead us on a dangerous path. I shall not let such a thing happen during the upcoming battles."

"Vespasianus you have proven your loyalty to me and my father over and over, and are a renowned and veteran soldier. I name you to be my head general in the coming war. We will stay in Gaul and Germania and gather our strength and plan for the coming war. By spring we shall have a large army and begin our march on Rome to end this usurpation."

61AD
February

Britannicus held the cloak tighter as he and Vespasianus inspected the troops. He smiled, before him stood 3 new legions. He had already given them their names the I Augusta, II Gallica, III Claudia. While the veteran legions where equipped with Lorica Segmentata Armour, these legions were equipped with Chain mail except for the 1st cohort of each which had the superior segmented Armour. The new legions had officers who were veterans, many new to their ranks, having been promoted from the veteran legions, some options becoming Centurions Centurions becoming Pili Prior commanding Cohorts. Such massive scale promotions did not bode well for the army however had been necessary. For Britannicus did not want to denude the frontier of its armies to fight an internal war. Their army was already on the march set to gather just north of the alps, there the XVI Gallica, I Augusta, I Germanica, XXI Rapax, V Auladae, and the XIV Gemina from Britannia would march into Italia. The new legions II Gallica would stay On the Rhine, where 4 legions would hold the frontier, and the III Claudia would be shipped to Britannia where it would replace the XIV. To lead these new legions, Britannicus had placed Titus Flavius Sabinus in command of the I Augusta, his son Sabinus the younger would take command of the II Gallica, and a man by the name of Marcus Helvius Geminus would command the III Claudia.

"The news Lucius Cornelius Pusio brought back from Hispania is not good." Vespasianus said hesitantly.

Britannicus nodded. "Yes it was good that he managed to make it back to us. The fact that Lucius Vitellius has secured their loyalty against us is troubling. I've been thinking that instead of sending the III Claudia to Britannia it should take a stationary garrison at lugdunumn along with a Vexilation from the Britannian legions. 2 or 3 cohorts from each the XX, IX, and II Augustua should be able to secure the our western flank."

Vespasianus nodded "Only question would be who should command such an important force."

Britannicus nodded "I think was thinking Govenor Paulinus, however he must stay in Britannia and keep it secure, it must be someone else. Just then a senator approached them under guard. Britannicus looked at the senator not recognizing him, before the senator saluted and said "Marcus Antonius Primus reporting Caesar! I wish to be of service." Vespasianus knowing Primus's record when given command smiled, "Caesar I think the man you require stands in front of you."

Hahahaha no love for Nero.

Now that Winter is over and the snow melted the proper civil war can begin.

Haha yep, I've decided that just like otl Britannicus has a hatred for Ahenobarbus.

Unfortunately for many romans that will be true, however Britannicus will find out he's not the only one raising legions

What's Galba up to?

Britannicus needs to get the loyalty of Corbulo's eastern legions

I've got to decide that yet, I was thinking of Galba being in retirement and I've toyed with the idea of him being the leader of the hispanian legions, which lucius Vitellius has converted to the Junian cause. By the next chapter I'll have decided.

As for Corbulo, Britannicus is his son in law, and rightful emperor, while Silanus is a brother in law, but gives him no other benefits.

I've got to decide that yet, I was thinking of Galba being in retirement and I've toyed with the idea of him being the leader of the hispanian legions, which lucius Vitellius has converted to the Junian cause. By the next chapter I'll have decided.

As for Corbulo, Britannicus is his son in law, and rightful emperor, while Silanus is a brother in law, but gives him no other benefits.
With the Syrian legions behind him, Corbulo could invade Thrace and thus force the Danubian legions to stay put

While this would be an option it would require considerable coordination or luck between Corbulo and Britannicus, but the bad part is to do this would be to leave the east open to Parthian invasion
It doesn't have to be a large force, or even split with part of the army based defensively in the east while the other half goes to Thrace... it's more a force in being that by virtue of being in Thrace would prevent the Danube army from sending its full strength to Italy. They don't even have to fight a battle, just occupy Byzantium and stay there for a few months to a year

It doesn't have to be a large force, or even split with part of the army based defensively in the east while the other half goes to Thrace... it's more a force in being that by virtue of being in Thrace would prevent the Danube army from sending its full strength to Italy. They don't even have to fight a battle, just occupy Byzantium and stay there for a few months to a year

That is very true, however by the time that happens the danubian army could be well on its way west and Corbulos army like Mucianus may end up defending the border before it becomes involved in the civil war

That is very true, however by the time that happens the danubian army could be well on its way west and Corbulos army like Mucianus may end up defending the border before it becomes involved in the civil war
if that’s the case then a single legion of two could retake the Danube frontier.

That brings something… could Silanus promise Armenia to the Parthians in exchange for fighting Curbelo?

if that’s the case then a single legion of two could retake the Danube frontier.

That brings something… could Silanus promise Armenia to the Parthians in exchange for fighting Curbelo?

That's always possible to

Well Silanus could but as already hinted the Parthians will once again invade Armenia anyways during the Civil war