First joy, then sadness, for Henry VIII: A timeline from 1516

Catherine of Aragon, Henry VIII, Eleanor of Castile, Princess Mary, Prince Henry
Queen Catherine gave birth to a baby daughter on 19 February 1516, after a long and difficult labour. (1) But she died three days later. She was only thirty years old. Henry was pleased that he had a daughter, whom he named Mary, but sad that his beloved wife had died. He wore black for the next three months. Catherine was buried in St. George's Chapel at Windsor Castle.

Henry desperately wanted a son and heir. So he would need to get married. Before he married Catherine of Aragon, he had been betrothed to Eleanor of Austria, the eldest child of Philip I of Castile and Joanna of Castile. (2) She was Archduchess of Austria and Infanta of Castile. Henry and Eleanor were married on 14 September 1516. She was crowned Queen of England in Westminster Abbey on 27 September 1516.

Eleanor gave birth to a healthy baby boy on 23 June 1517. There was much celebration at the birth of a son to the king. Henry and Eleanor named their son, Henry,

(1) In OTL, Mary was born on 18 February 1516.

(2) For Eleanor see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eleanor_of_Austria.

Queen Catherine gave birth to a baby daughter on 19 February 1516, after a long and difficult labour. (1) But she died three days later. She was only thirty years old. Henry was pleased that he had a daughter, whom he named Mary, but sad that his beloved wife had died. He wore black for the next three months. Catherine was buried in St. George's Chapel at Windsor Castle.

Henry desperately wanted a son and heir. So he would need to get married. Before he married Catherine of Aragon, he had been betrothed to Eleanor of Austria, the eldest child of Philip I of Castile and Joanna of Castile. (2) She was Archduchess of Austria and Infanta of Castile. Henry and Eleanor were married on 14 September 1516. She was crowned Queen of England in Westminster Abbey on 27 September 1516.

Eleanor gave birth to a healthy baby boy on 23 June 1517. There was much celebration at the birth of a son to the king. Henry and Eleanor named their son, Henry,

Ooh, we have TLs with the same POD! Can't wait to see what you do with this

Their second son could be charles, for eleanor's brother and henry's friend.

Eleanor of Castile, Henry VIII, Princess Margaret
Because Eleanor of Austria married Henry VIII, she could not marry Manuel I of Portugal. Instead he married Margaret of Austria, Duchess of Savoy, on 16 July 1518. (1)

Queen Eleanor gave birth to a baby girl on 15 April 1519. She and Henry named her Margaret, after Eleanor's aunt and surrogate mother. Elizabeth Blount was still Henry's mistress.

(1) For Margaret see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margaret_of_Austria,_Duchess_of_Savoy.

Last edited:
Because Eleanor of Austria married Henry VIII, she could not marry Manuel I of Portugal. Instead he married Margaret of Austria, Duchess of Savoy, on 16 July 1518. (1)

Queen Eleanor gave birth to a baby girl on 15 April 1519. She and Henry named her Margaret, after Eleanor's aunt and surrogate mother. Elizabeth Blount was still Henry's mistress.

(1) For Margaret see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margaret_of_Austria,_Duchess_of_Savoy.
Margaret would never remarry but Manuel has no need to do it so he could very well remain a widower

In that case Margaret of Austria does not remarry and Manuel I stays a widower.
Best thing as the whole situation who would eventually brought to Eleanor’s marriage with Manuel has no reason to happen here (were Catalina is the only sister who Charles has available to be offered to anyone)

Elizabeth Blount, Prince Edward
Henry loved Elizabeth Blount, his mistress. Presumably Eleanor and Catherine of Aragon knew about their relationship. It was accepted that kings had mistresses, though not all did. After the birth of his son, Henry, on 23 June 1517, who survived the first few weeks of his life, he did not need Elizabeth to give him a healthy son. So he ended their relationship in 1517.

After suffering a miscarriage in April 1520, Eleanor gave birth to a baby boy on 5 July 1521. She and Henry named him Edward.

Last edited:
Henry, Prince of Wales, Princess Mary
In September 1526, Henry sent eldest son, Henry, Prince of Wales, to preside in name only over the Council of Wales and the Marches. He had his own court in Ludlow.

Princess Mary was a pawn in the diplomatic marriage market. She was engaged to first Francis, Dauphin of France, and then to the Holy Roman Emperor, Charles V. But these engagements were called off. Then marriage was proposed to Francis I of France, or his second son, Henri, Duke of Orleans. But Francis was 21 years older than Mary and really too old for her. In August 1527, Mary was engaged to Henri.

In September 1526, Henry sent eldest son, Henry, Prince of Wales, to preside in name only over the Council of Wales and the Marches. He had his own court in Ludlow.

Princess Mary was a pawn in the diplomatic marriage market. She was engaged to first Francis, Dauphin of France, and then to the Holy Roman Emperor, Charles V. But these engagements were called off. Then marriage was proposed to Francis I of France, or his second son, Henri, Duke of Orleans. But Francis was 21 years older than Mary and really too old for her. In August 1527, Mary was engaged to Henri.
Mary of England with a brother would NEVER be engaged to a second son. The only French matches for her are Francis I or the Dauphin (whatever he was Francois jr or Henri)

Princess Mary, James V, King of Scots
Mary of England with a brother would NEVER be engaged to a second son. The only French matches for her are Francis I or the Dauphin (whatever he was Francois jr or Henri)
I don't want Mary to marry Francis I because of their age difference. Instead she was betrothed to her cousin James V, King of Scots in August 1528, and went to live in Scotland.

Last edited:
Henry, Prince of Wales, Anne Boleyn, James Butler
Prince Henry was betrothed to Mary of Guise in August 1518. They were married in September 1532.

In early 1522, Anne Boleyn returned to England from France, where she was a maid of honour to Queen Claude, to marry her Irish cousin, James Butler, eldest son of Piers Butler, 8th Earl of Ormond. (1) They were married in July 1522. Anne gave birth to a son on 31 August 1523. She and James named him Thomas.

(1) Here is his entry in Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Butler,_9th_Earl_of_Ormond.

Last edited: