Ni Hao a Aloha Mai

Iger out, DeBarde In
Ahoy! I was making this fanfiction on AO3 and I thought that I might share it with you. Likewise, there were quest mechanics that may come back when we're all caught up with the AO3 story. So keep your eyes peeled for that, folks.

-Ni Hao-

You are Dan DeBarde and Steve Jobs has tapped you to come along with him to the Disney lot where Michael Eisener was mulling some options concerning the future of animation at the venerable studio. After a few sour goings through the past few years and regular spankings from Pixar, Eisener had half a mind to just give up on the pen and pencil and move onto full-on CGI. The only solace he has is the 50-50 split of proceeds with Pixar, not like they needed Pixar or anything, but it certainly softened the blow to have that. It sure would sting to have that revenue yanked away.

In the re-negotiations, Steve Jobs had a proposal to have Disney's half of the revenue yanked away.

You protested, stating how good their relationship with Disney's been the past decade they've collaborated. If this reaches Mike's ears, they'll be out in the cold with all their IP Vitale'd off into the Disney Vault, ripe for the sullying via direct to video Sequels that run the risk of missing the point those films were going for! Pixar had already seen one such snafu on Toy Story 2 and they thankfully stepped in to deflect that bullet, but what about Monsters Inc., Finding Nemo, they could even try a Toy Story 3 behind their backs. Who knows how hard John Lasseter could end up taking that?

With the argument made, Steve Jobs thinks to himself and hears whispers of the uncertain future looming over the Animation house Disney has in Florida which was just about ready to release Brother Bear later this winter. Put it together with the souring view on 2D films and an idea crossed your mind, so you shared it with Steve saying that it would be worth a shot.

"Mister Eisener will see you now." A cast member informed them, and you proceeded to suggest the two options for renewal.

One where they keep all the proceeds of the next three films to Eisener's chagrin or your proposed plan where they make four more films under the 50-50 split under three conditions: One, the Florida Studio remains in use to produce four animated films. Two, the films from said Florida studio have to be mainly traditional animation to combat the growing shift to CGI at the hands of Blue Sky and Dreamworks. And three, the four films at Pixar would be the final extension for the 50-50 split, meaning they would have to waiver either the earnings or the partnership. So to remind themselves that this may very well be the end, Steve locks in for the fourth of those features, the tenth in the 50-50 split, would be Toy Story 3.

Eisener reluctantly agreed to the agreement on the condition that they send a few of their staff over to help build up the inferstructure needed for the transition that the California Studio was going to undergo. But you were getting the sense that Eisener was just doing this to fend off Roy Edward Disney, who had ousted a Disney CEO once before and could very well oust him after all Michael had done for the company. This was greatly magnified by your 'reward' for this extension.

Executive Producer of Walt Disney Feature Animation as the Florida Studio was going to officially be billed as (The California lot was being rebranded as Walt Disney Animation Studios) with the purpose of creating at least those four films…with those at Pixar and the FA lot who have reacted to the whole deal with cautious optimism so at least you could say you had a crew to work with.

The problem now was figuring out how to put everything in order in time for the 2006 Release window Eisener had strattled them with right as the deal was sealed.

So hop to it, pal!

Michael Eisner watched the two gentlemen walk out of the room with a trumphant glimmer in their eyes and had called in Bob Iger to inform him of the results.

"You did the right thing, Michael." Bob congratulated his mentor. "We need Pixar as much as they need us."

"What can I say, they're practically part of the family." Michael retorted. "At least it'll buy us some more time with them and who knows… if all goes well, we could be owning three major Animation houses by the end of the decade."

"I'm glad to hear that you're taking thi… three?" Iger did a double take. "You mean, you're keeping the Florida lot?"

Eisener nodded back. "With California now focusing on CGI, we'll need to keep a homestead for the classic pen and paper approach. The Pixar guys proposed this as a condition for the continued relationship."

"Mike, isn't three Studios a little too much?" Iger argued. "Heck, I'd like to think two's more than enough."

"Well, it does help to have a counterpoint around to keep us on our toes." Eisener mentioned. "If we can make money off the inverse of our storytelling. Why not draw from both opposites in terms of the art."

"You heard what Katzenberg said!" Iger protested. "Hand Drawn is a relic of the past, you yourself said you wanted to centralize it all under CG."

"You're right, Bob." Admitted Michael. "We can't afford to be left in the past, but that doesn't mean we can just give up on what is an important part of our history. We gotta fight on and keep the craft going for as long as we can."

"We'll be throwing away money if you do this."

"We'll be throwing away Talent if we don't!"

Iger was dumbfounded. "You’ve finally lost it. After two straight decades on the job, you’ve let it go to your head.”

“Honestly, if it were earlier in these dismal days, a part of me would have agreed with ya.” Eisener shrugged. “But this is the voice of a man who’s willing to take the power back. Who’s ready to pull out all the stops and find new ways to help the medium keep up with CG’s rapid evolution. Who’s willing to see Disney’s magic remain vigilant in the face of a changing culture. This is a pivotal part of the plan going forward, our olive branch to Roy.”

“Are you seriously roping Roy into this?” Iger probed to his superior. “Especially when he’s dusted off his Save Disney campaign with Stanley Gold? You know, what got you in there in the first place?”

“Why not?” snarked the master to the apprentice. “After all, we wouldn’t have all this without it.”

“I don’t have time for this…” Iger facepalmed. “If you wanna play Ghandi, do it when there are human rights on the line instead of our pocketbooks.”

Michael took a look at his famed portrait of Walt and then his cover on Time Magazine before pulling out a pink sticky note. “Then I’ve got to do what I’ve got to do.”

“I get it.” Bob Iger proceeded to walk towards the door. “If you’re really taking it seriously, then try to calm down.”

“I’m trying, sir.” Iger added. “But this albatross you’ve chosen to keep around your neck is more than concerning.”

“So you’re that on edge, huh.” Eisener narrowed his stare. “Fine, if you’re just gonna walk off like this, you’re not walking back in. Do ya hear me? I didn’t take any crap from Katzenberg, I sure as hell ain’t takin’ any crap from you!”

Robert Iger opened the door and took in the gravity of the predicament and spoke: “I don’t really feel clean quoting a show that killed off your likeness in one episode… But in the words of Glenn Quagmire: Giggidy-Giggidy-Giggidy-Giggidy-Piss off, Jew!”

With a blunt slam, Michael Eisener watched helplessly as his protege left behind the destiny he had been planning for him. And once more, he felt like a failure.

Back at the Animation building, longtime veteran Berny Mathison looked to Iger as he made his way out for the final time. If these walls could talk, he would be hearing a faint, yet mournful roar when Iger got into his car and drove out the parking lot.

As for Iger, he tried to keep himself calm in the face of throwing away the biggest opportunity of his career as he drove into the snowy January road ahead. His mind continued to wander until his eyes spotted a little girl watching a smaller boy on his tricycle make his way to the sidewalk… while the girl herself was right on the road.

Iger honked as hard as he could to get her attention, his focus on the two making their way onto the sidewalk instead of the looming toy truck in front of the windshield.

WATCH OUT FOR THAT TREE! ARMORED VEHICLE!

SMAAaaSH!!!

Bob Iger's New Groove
Dan DeBarde

...and done!

Darn, your hand was sore.

Who knew there would be so many papers to sign when producing an animated feature. "Your new partner's waiting for you in the other room, sir."

"So you must be Eric, Welcome aboard…" You shook hands and walked your guest through the door. "How was your flight?"

"In a word, bittersweet. I mean, yeah, you stood up for the Florida place, and hand drawn as a whole." Eric Goldberg smiled back. "A shame I had to leave behind a bunch of my colleagues back home."

"Now you know how 88 of us felt when Eisener shipped them in the opposite direction." You deadpanned to the warmer gentleman.

"Hey, I’m more than happy to pull my own weight around these parts given the second chance you gave us.” Eric confided to his fellow executive. "Though don’t expect me to come in on time for at least a couple months."

“Yeah, I get it. It’s 10 in the morning on the west coast.” You joked. “I’m just glad I didn’t pick Berny, he’d probably would have croaked mid-flight.”

(Eric Goldberg installed as Creative Executive of Feature Animation)

“Just heard from him, by the way...” Eric sighed. “Turns out the half of us that’s stuck in Burbank is being forced into an 18-month crash course in computer animation for Chicken Little. But god bless him, he’s doing his best.”

“Guess that’s why they call you guys lifers.” You joked back.

Eric's eyes wandered over your office and found a plushie of a familiar blue creature and picked it up. "So this is Mickey of the Floridian Generation, huh."

“Yep.” You leaned back into your cozy chair, your one solace in this difficult job.

(Stitch Recognized as Mascot of Walt Disney Feature Animation)

“Can’t say I’m shocked, the little fella’s become an icon of the decade right now.” “See, we actually have him headlining the new tour video with Mushu cause y'know, we've had Back to Neverland for so long, It’s high time we sunset it in favor of something more modern."

“I understand.” Eric smirked. “So what’s the plan, boss…”

“Funny you brought up that crash course, Mister Joe Ranft actually ended up on the shortlist for the position you’ve just filled by taking the initiative to provide the tutelage.” You recounted before pulling out a phone number. “And he pitched the idea of our mascots alongside Mickey and Woody interacting with an old friend.”

You then pull out a photograph of Walt Disney, and Eric was gobsmacked. "Of course, we'll have to heavily vet the actor we bring to fill his carbonite-frozen shoes. But I've interned on Jeopardy long enough to get Trebek's phone number so I'm sure I could get him to stop by for an audition."

"I'd like to think a quick dinner with Roy would work." Eric smiled back.

(Because we're Curious locked in four the tour video)

(Alex Trebek added to Voice Pool)

"Now, Mike decided to call in a few favors from Miyazaki." He continued.

"The Ghibli Guy?" You tilted your head. "With the long ears."

"Totoro's a production of Ghibli, yes." Eric corrected. "He got in touch with Tezuka Productions and Mike was offered one of three potential titles to adapt into a film."

"Couldn’t we just fix Peoples?" You asked. "I'm sure Kirk and Gary could patch together something presentable from a hot mess like that, just look at Beauty and the Beast for crying out loud."

"Well, you did promise four hand-drawn films."

"Doesn't say we can't still dabble in CG every now and then." You shrugged in your office chair before continuing. "Go ahead, give them a call."

"Oh, alright." Eric sighed. "But you better lobby Mike to give Burbank a 2D flick to do in return."

"I'll see what I can do." You then picked up a TV remote. "Like I said, we had to pick a title. And this is what we picked."

You hold up the remote to click on the television to unveil the teaser trailer to their current project. The screen opened with a flip book of frames depicting Doc, one of the seven dwarves, belting out the opening 'High-Hoooooo!' We then see the Blue Fairy waving her wand over Sorcerer Mickey as Ink and paint is being applied to the two. Dumbo and Bambi slide into frame as screens depicting shots of Disney's back catalog of movies and shorts zoomed in to the voices of an entire crowd that was far larger than the other six. "High-Hoooooo!" Silence hit as the screen showing Mary Poppins being served by the Animated Penguins was followed by one of Baloo and Bagheera dancing off into the sunset. The post Walt era films would flow in to the voice of Phil Collins joining in for the chorus and into the Renaissance with a billowing. "High-Ho! High-Ho! High-Hoooooo!"

High-Ho! High-Ho!

Ni hao a Aloha Mai

To All who come to this happy place

ALO-HA MAI!

The screens were congregating into the background as the logo flew in its CGI golden glory: Walt Disney Feature Animation.

"Gorgeous." Eric complimented. "Though a bit self-indulgent."

"Yeah, even I thought it was a bit much, but Phil was at the wrap party and rallied the troops when we announced the save. So I thought we could use it for our calling card." You smiled. "We've even got plans to animate Stitch into it."

"Gotta milk that mascot, eh?" Eric laughed with you, yes this was going to be a fun partnership. "Now, about that Tezuka flick."

"Right! It was back and forth between Melmo and Dororo, both incredibly wild projects, wilder than Astro Boy believe it or not." You elaborated. "One has a little girl jumping back and forth through puberty and the other has a guy carved into literal pieces, one for the 48 demons that carved him up for a warlord."

Eric's eyes widened and his blood churned. "Yikes."

"Yeah, pretty heavy stuff all things considered." You admitted. "But we already locked in Mary Gibbs as the little girl for both of them so let's get to reading." You tapped heavily at the box of tankobans printed by the Tezuka estate as if you were doing a drum roll "And the winner is:"

Dororo (4 Votes)

"Fun fact, the animators proposed a sequence where Melmo would undergo a rough initial transformation going through all the rough parts of puberty." You joked to your partner. "Yeah, she was just not worth the parental cries of 'The Children'. Maybe next time if this partnership pans out."

"We just gotta wait and see, right?" Eric smiled back.

"For now, we gotta call up the Beastie Boys and figure out how the carved into pieces bit can work out for us." You go back to your desktop PC only to find a frown on Eric's jovial jaws.

"So... you've heard about Iger, right?"

The now former Chief Operating Officer of the Walt Disney Company would lay unconscious from his accident as the days bled into weeks, and to say that Michael was devastated was an understatement. He pulled out all the stops for him, calling in all sorts of talent from across the industry to share their wishes for Iger's full recovery to the point of inviting you over to check up on the man. You have just signed Alex Trebek as Walt Disney and are now have invited Kirk Wise and Gary Trousdale to Dignity Health to Dignity Health where he was making a routine visit to Iger: a drawing of the Genie signed by Robin Williams would be delivered to him as well as a Dragon Dagger from Jason David Frank and Who Wants to be a Millionare was on the telly, doing a 4 hour Sunday Night charity live show in support for Iger. As your group entered the hospital room, his wife Willow Bay could be seen trimming his beard before doing a quick glance to the two and proceeding to walk out and sat good night.

"God, I'm getting Snow White vibes here." Kirk sighed. "Who would've thought Iger would flare out like this."

"It is what it is." You sighed as you sipped some bitter coffee. "So I have two assignments for you to choose from. First being My Peoples."

"Wasn't that Barry's baby?" Gary probed.

You scratched your scalp nervously "Yeah, we're working on getting him back but in the meantime, it's this or Dororo."

You handed him the designs submitted for the film in question. It appeared to be an even mix of the typical disney artstyle but certain animals and even a few minor extras seemed different.

“See, we had to use the art style of the original author somewhere.” You pleaded to the duo. “And which better area than the demons he fights and the animal sidekicks.”

“Trying to strike a balance, I see.” Kirk smirked. “Interesting.”

Gary noticed a young man with a katana in his hand in the stack model sheet. “I take it this is our leading man?”

“Yep.”

“And he has some missing pieces to him, symbolizing his missing senses, His eyes are fake. He has no neck to speak with, he hasn't his ears, and he just got his nose back.” You elaborate by pointing all over the design. “And they get even more parts throughout the first half, albeit with little Dororo getting into some mischief with said pieces."

"Wait, that's not the Hero's name?" Kirk glared to you.

"Yep, that's the little thief that joins Hyakkimaru on the road." You spoke. "Ws already have the lass who played Boo to fill the role."

"You mean from Monsters Inc?"

"Yep. That Boo." You looked back and pulled out the character sheet for Kagemitsu. "She's going to be carrying a lot of humor here due to the film's heavier themes."

"You're looking to do a dark story?" Kirk probed. "With us at the wheel?"

"We are indeed." You smiled back. "Unless you want to take over the CGI hybrid we had in the oven."

(Roll for Wisedale)

D23=4

Kirk shook his head. "We'll take our chances with Peeps."

"Alright, fine." You leaned back. "I'll just get Eric to do it himself."

"Oh God! Oh God! Oooooh…" You panicked over the phone. "We're as good as shitcanned, man."

"Calm down!"

"How the nuts are we gonna recover from this?!"

"Look, We've still got Kirk and Gary, right?"

You nod to the leading creative. "And at least Peoples is back in production."

"Good, now I just got the audition from Nic Cage. And he's actually pretty great in the role." Eric continued. "What do you think?"

"I'm just interested in what we're gonna do for a story." You sighed back.

"You know that priest that he kills early on." Eric proposes. "Maybe he could be his sidekick at first. But as he grows crueler, he gets concerned until he gets capped right before the climax."

"Oh yeah, that'd be a fun way to show the stakes." You admitted.

"Well, we found this little nugget of backstory featuring a girl who, you guessed it, falls in love with Yak. Short for Hyakkimaru, of course." Eric pointed to the pages. "Her voice is the thing that helps his regained hearing fine tune itself and we've got a proposed ending where he regains his sight and sees her external beauty after he's accustomed to her internal beauty."

"Man, that sounds good." You complimented. "You know, despite Kirk and Gary turning us down flat, we're really pulling through with this. We got a cool protagonist, an adorable kid sidekick, a strong villain and a marketable princess. Nothing can get in the way of-"

"Boreanaz didn't bite."

Your heart sank. He was your first pick for Yak, he could pull off the human fighting the demons brewing within and had pulled it off in Buffy and later on Angel. He thought the wind down of the latter would give him the time to do the project. But that was just his luck, wasn't it.

So on a whim, you dialed up a phone number from a contact list Lasseter gave you. "Hey, could you get me John Morris?"

Two sleepless months went by for Willow Bay where she would do her job on CNN or MSNBC as an entertainment industry correspondent, then spend the twilight hours tending to her wounded husband. She looked to the walls of his hospital room, the pile of gifts laid out before him had grown considerably, Gift baskets, wine, toys, gift baskets with wine, and letters from concerned children. There was even a collection of voice-mail messages from familiar voices of Disney's past from Jim Cummings to Robin Williams, most of them were When you Wish upon a Star (and would see reuse in Once Upon a Studio for the 100th Anniversary) but what ultimately stirred him from his coma was Jennifer Hale's message. She had invited Ilane Woods to sing 'A Dream is a Wish' together, and when Willow played it for him like she usually did for every message. Iger's eyes began to flutter open and muttered: "Hell of a winter, eh."

The road to recovery was relatively rough on the man, not only did he have to get readjusted to his body but he also needed a job to get himself back on his feet financially. Luckily, Fox President Gail Berman has been looking to launch Fox Kids to full network status after a chain of events involving former co-owner Saban Entertainment and the pourus face it secured from its oldest competition and thought that he could be the best choice for the studio and could very well be the best pick for the job.
Given his ties to Disney and the guilt Eisener had meant that Fox could easily twist his arm into supplying Fox Kids via their Fox Family channel and fledgeling Jetix premium cable outing. But for Fox Kids to truly survive, it needed to break into Basic Cable and that meant a long-term strategy to re-establish itself from the Fox Family home that was being rent-to-owned to the mouse in exchange for Jetix. Then a sudden idea hit him: Fox was looking to enter a cozy relationship with [adult swim] to rerun its animated shows like, if he could perchase that for Fox Kids, it would be mutually beneficial due this would cut out the middlemen of licencing and rope in the audience that grew up with Fox Kids back in the 90s. So, once he checked out of the hospital, he took the position and got to work on negotiations.

(Robert Iger is courting adult swim, bruh. What's gunna happen, bruh?)

D23=22

AOL Time Warner, rapidly bleeding money and looking to shed some deadweight, decided to feed them all of Turner Broadcasting in October of 2004 for $22 Billion Dollars dedicated to paying off their debt, Warner keeping everything that would be rendered redundant by the exchange including CNN, TBS and TNT as well as the Looney Tunes shorts from the Turner Library and the complete portfolio of Scooby Doo and Tom and Jerry (The latter of which would be folded into the Looney Tunes lineup) due to a few projects being in production. Fox would gain the rest of Turner's aquired films alongside a selection of Warner Bros films that could make up the difference in the Scooby Doo and Tom and Jerry content that would remain with Warner.

All for a total of $22 Billion Dollars.

This Irked Carl Icahn, and prompted him to accelerate his plans to dismantle the AOL Time Warner merger, but that debacle is another story and shall be told another time. Meanwhile, Sensing that they overspent in what would go on to be one of the costliest business decisions in the industry, Fox executives pondered how much had to be written off for tax deductions. Iger would have one primary target: Turner Classic Movies. He is quickly shot down by Tom Rothman, saying that to destroy TCM would be to irreparably sully the studio's reputation amongst filmmakers, so he needed a second target and figured...

Since Fox Kids was going to take the jump to basic cable anyway, why not get rid of the one redundant aspect they did end up with...

Last edited:
Because We're Curious
July 31st 2005

“Lookin’ good, Dan.” You smiled into the mirror as you donned the ascot of your current outfit. Today was one of those days when you were between guides so a member of the team had to fill in, and this time it was you who pulled the shortest straw this time around.

So you sucked it up and put on a happy face as you greeted the next swarm of guests. "Hello, friends. My name is Danny and I am one of the many talented artists (talented artisi, yeah, right.) in these hallowed halls that polished up A Few Good Ghosts to be the first fully computer animated film from Walt Disney Feature Animation. You know, that movie that's spent its second weekend getting a payback spanking from a certain candyman after bumping it to number three at the box office." A few good laughs were had at its expense as expected from a patchwork like this. Still, Kirk and Gary did their best and it certainly showed, perhaps it could find a cult following like Black Cauldron's been gaining of late. "But this experience it's cast of characters are having today of going head to head with Wonka's grand return to the silver screen is unique amongst our backlog of well over a thousand familiar faces."

His secretary Tamara pressed a button on the control panel to activate the first clip. A looping animation of all the films they've made and/or distributed rolled on the main screen as you continued. "And the purpose of our tour is to show you how we do what we do here both through our new computer overlords and our native pen and paper. But to do that, we must start at the very beginning and to do that, we turn the mic to our roving reporter!"

Tamara then pressed another button to activate another clip on the screen. One that saw an amphibious green creature with a microphone stand behind a wall of photographs depicting the life and legacy of Walt and Roy Disney as a pair of janitors cleaned up the place in the background. "Hi-ho, Kermit the Frog here at the Disney Archives to give you the inside scoop on how to create one of its world class characters. From the constant struggles for financial solvency to the opening days of Disneyland to the planning of his sacred Florida project, Walt Disney never could take no for an answer. Just listen to that sheer will to innovate evident in his voice."

Archival footage of Walt Disney started rolling as the cleaner drew nearer to the wall "Well, a project like this is so vast in scope that no company alone may make it a reality. But if we could bring together the technical know-how of American industry and the creative imagination of the Disney Organization."

Bump! Ink starts oozing onto the wall from a jar that fell over from this familiar looking janitor. "I believe we can build a community that more people can talk about and come to look at than any other area in the world." You watched as the Ink drew closer and noted the celebrities portraying the custodians responsible. It had been decided that this would be an ongoing tradition of bringing in big-name celebrities to turn into new animated characters as a demonstration of the power of Animation. You clearly recognized Matthew Perry, but the blonde was admittedly less of a friend but with how many roles she was getting, Tara Strong was Family. "Speaking for myself and the entire Disney Organization, we're ready to go right now."

As he spoke that last line, the Ink washed over the image and turned it into original animation. It gave you chills when you heard Alex Trebek's voice out of the newly illustrated mouth of Walt, so many years of being Archival footage of a performance the man himself came to loathe over time and now he was being portrayed by a man who channeled that same persona before Roy, who genuinely referred to the man as Uncle Walt.

(D23=16)

And while it still sounded much like Alex, there was enough of Walt in there to impress him and earn his respect. With that, he was in the recording booth and probing Kermit about what was going on as the two undercover stars apologized for the mess.

"How about we show you how we create our famous characters." You addressed the screen in the blank beat made for the guide. "You sure?" Asked Alex/Walt "Cause I'd like to get back to work on EPCOT."

'EPCOT's dead!' Yelled a heckler as Kermit reassured them that they would take him back once they were done. "Now where do you wanna go, little lady?"

Tara blushed and giggled as she gave her response. "God, what I wouldn't give to be a fairy princess in Sleeping Beauty."

"Well, follow me and we'll see what we can do."

Walt began to walk out of the painted photograph before Kermit rushed in front of the man "Hey, not to dissuade you or nothing but a lot has changed while you were away."

"Kermit's right, maybe I should get Mickey." You interjected onto the screen.

"Nonsense, I know the studio like the back of my…" Walt would look in awe of the catalog of cartoon creations that were made following his 'exit', taking in the radically different environment that no such technology in the 60s could create. He even spotted a few films made via CGI like Toy Story and Finding Nemo, needless to say, he was lost. "You know, I might need a little help."

"I figured as such." I shrugged. "Don't worry, we created a few of them here in Florida that can help you to Aurora."

"Florida?" Walt felt his spirits lift in response. "So the project came to term, eh?"

"Well, we built what we could." You spoke in half-truth. "Including this place where we made a movie featuring a warrior 'princess' and a red lizard."

"Dragon, DRA-GON! I don’t do that tongue thing." You 'pause' the clip before the characters on the cel screen. "Now, with so many characters, it's easy to find a contrast between any given pair. Be it on the asthetic outside with a hand drawn talking mouse or a computerized cowboy doll, or on the mental inside like a snarky mythical drago-"

"Meega, Nala-Creesha!" Couldn’t wait to pounce on Woody, huh. Thank goodness Pixar could just use a texture-less ball for Stitch to be drawn over as he bounces around the CG backdrop of Andy's room. Ah, the Wonders of Computer Puppetry! I watched with the kids as Kermit was slammed into layout art of the Lost Boys in Peter Pan. It was here that another perk of the Pixar connection cake in, the kid who played Nemo as a familiar tabby cat-clad lad who walked in to find the best effect in the whole short.

A green sock rotoscoped into a ink-stained arm as Kermit staggered back up massaging his temples with his newly articulate fingers with a subtle “Sheesh.” Kermit is quick to notice the change in greenery. “Ah! Please tell me this washes off, Piggy’s gonna kill me if she sees me all stained like this.”

“Don’t worry, I can clean you up when we get back.” Matthew mused back only for Mushu to wisecrack back.

“And what makes you think you can mop away all this?” argued Mushu. “Is it the wetjet, laundry machine, or maybe that celebrity castin’.”

Couldn’t argue with that, Friends was wrapping up when we were crafting the short and he was readily available for the live shoot. The problem now was the scale. “Look, we can just get on with the whole creating a character thing?”

“Creating a Character?!” smiled the lost boy, Whim as the studio decided to call him. “In front of all these people like how I came along?”

“Say no more.” Walt smiled, pulling a piece of paper from a book he picked up in the background earlier in the short. “We’re going to bring out this little fella named: Redfeather?”

“Ah, sounds like someone for Pocahantas.” You chimed back.

"Yeah, and what about me?" Tara asked.

"Don't worry, madame." Whim leaned against Tara's shoulder. "They're the best in the biz, they won't leave you hanging."

"Especially since this is all prerecorded." You snarked.

“Okay, quick question.” Matthew asked. “How does it work?”

“Well, when a Mommy dragon and a Daddy dragon love each other very m-” Kermit was quick to squeeze Mushu’s big snout shut.

“Thank you, Kermit.” you spoke to the screen.

“Don’t mention it.”

“Now, not every character makes it to the screen, and you, sir, have pulled out a concept drawing of one such failure.” You pointed to Walt. “He was gonna be with Flit and Meeko, and they were even gonna talk.”

"Ey, go get im, ya little guy!" Meeko proceeded to make some face noises as the gears in the lad’s head started turning. "Haven't I seen your picture in the post office side view"

The boy’s eyes flared up with childish fury. “That’s my old voiceover!”

“Technically, it’s an unused outtake from his later character…” You couldn’t help but correct them “But hey. You do you.”

“Whatever ya said, I’m a hundred percent with ya.” Meeko was whapped.

“Can’t you do something?”

“Well, since two's company and three's a crowd,” You continued. “The team chose to drop poor Meeko.”

A rock crushes Meeko and out comes the voiceover (in the exact same form the disembodied voice took in Back to Neverland) “Gocha!”

“A hummingbird and a Turkey?!” Mushu complained as the lad proceeded to ingest the voice. “I don’t even see that working for a sitcom!”

“I would’ve done mouth to mouth but you ain’t that attractive.” He spoke in the archived outtakes voice only for Mushu’s tail to whip him in the head, causing him to spit out the voice right into the spiral shell Kermit picked up in the lair. (Mainly, it was the same shell Ursula used to house Ariel’s.) “Oh, come on!”

“We have a policy of using genuine child actors around these parts.” Walt asserted over the lost boy.

“Doesn’t mean I could still play with it, ya codfish.”

Walt halted in his tracks. “Codfish?”

“Oh, dear.” Kermit knew what was coming.

“Are you comparing me to old Captain Hook?”

“Nooo, sir. Why would I compare you to him?” Whim panicked. “You made this all possible and Hook? Well, he tried to feed me to the crocodile within the first few minutes of my life.”

“Of course he would…” Walt sighed, rubbing his temples. "But he's even more of a codfish compared to Maleficent."

"...Maleficent?" that name made Chandler freeze up.

"The mistress of all evil herself." Walt confirmed as a boom mic came close to Matthew.

"It's a good thing Redfeather was made to be a self-proclaimed ladies' man." Whim sneered as he pulled a reading table in. "Gonna take a smooth operator to sweet talk her into releasing the good little fairy she's holding captive."

Tara was boxed in by her mic and table as well as the mixing room with an operator in place. "Scene 19, take one."

"So that's what I gotta do, huh." Matthew inhaled deeply. "Ya like jazz? Oh, who am I kidding you're a dark opera kinda gal, maybe something about where you're horns are pointing because I'm thinking you're acute!"

As he attempted to flirt with the dark fairy. The operator adjusted the volume and the bars on the speakers flowed from its LED display and into one of Whim's shells right in front of Tara Strong who reacted accordingly. "HELP! LEMMIE OUTTA HERE! I LIKE MY BODY THE WAY IT IS, I DON'T WANNA DO THIS ANYMORE! HEE-EEEEELP!!!"

Once more, the voiceover lights up the LED, turns pink and flows into a third shell. "Great voiceover, lady. Are you sure this is your first time?"

While most guides would just compliment her or ask what the big deal was, you responded to Whim with: "She voiced Bubbles on the Powerpuff Girls, of course it's not."

"See, the actor provides the voice and the Animators does the rest." Walt described.

"Kinda like acting on paper." Added Whim. "Turn 'em like a flipbook, and poof, you're alive."

"Of course, unlike Redfeather we need to design the character first and they tend to evolve in many different ways." Walt mentioned before asking: "Could we have these new computer graphics for our feathered friend."

"Don't have a choice. It's prerecorded. " You deadpanned. You wanted to get to the Caffeine Patch faster, so you pulled up the DVD remote. "You'll take Matt to Pixar and this guy'll design Tara."

"Hi, Mushu. Remember me?"

"THE ANCESTORS!" Mushu scrambled to hide as you took the chance to abscond for a moment. Leaving Chris Sanders to elaborate on the Character design process as he creates multiple good fairy designs for Tara to choose from. Bud Luckey sculpted the character model for Redfeather and explained the advantages of CGI over animation as you sipped your coffee and bit into a Reese's Stick. When you got back, you had found Tom Brancroft had flipbooked Fula and Freema into being.

"I couldn't decide which one to voice." Tara spoke as the maiden fairy Freema before bouncing to the toddler-sized Fula. "So I picked two for one!"

"Now that's a steal if I ever saw one!" Mushu complimented. "How about we take these two for a spin, eh?"

"Yep." Tom smiled. "If I can draw it, you can do it."

The second screen displayed Animators acting out the scenes Freema was doing, most of them were recycled from reference footage. "They have to get the moves just right if ya wanna see the character come to life." Explained Walt. "By moving around and acting it all out, they gain the reference needed to illustrate the personality scripted."

"Actors with pencils." Smiled Whim. "When it's all sketched up, it's time to scan it in." Cue stock footage of the Cel Process from Back to Neverland as he continued. "When I came along, I was painted on a plastic cel you copy the drawings onto. But these days, you just get a scanner and some painting software on a computer and presto, ready to color and plop onto any stage the layout artists can draw or in your case, recycle." The characters are layered into Maleficent's castle.

"Our software is christened the CAPS system." You explained with a snack in your mouth. "And thanks to this first gift from Pixar, the paint room is now a gift shop and the camera department that puts it all together was repurposed into an activity center to draw your own character."

"Okay!" Michael as Redfeather smiled. "Everyone's together again, in a dark gloomy castle…"

"Filled with monstrous minions." Freema spoke. "And lit with sinister green flames."

Kermit was getting nervous. "And the woman of the house…"

"...Is the Mistress of all Evil." Mushu and Fula spoke in unison. A silence fell broken by Mushu bluntly saying "Yeah, okay." before running to the screen in an attempt to escape. Only this time, there's a wall of glass blocking Mushu and Kermit. "Walt! C'mon, lemmie out!"

"Another wonder of computers." Whim smiled at Walt as he sat in a chair of an office we filmed. "A glass screen called a monitor for the interface, and you can just plop the music and sound effects recorded for this or whatever you can find in the archive that matches the mood. All that makes it reeeealy creepy, am I right?"

"Yeah." Redfeather piped as the mood truly set in. "Real creepy."

A strong bolt of green lighting strikes as the creatures turned around to see the fairies bottled up and Maleficent right behind them. "Pitiful, insignificant fools! You dare try to sneak into my domain?"

"Noo, I didn't mean to." Redfeather slowly backed away from the sorceress with Kermit and Mushu. "See, I bumped into this ink, brought Walt to life somehow and painted over Kermit the Frog here."

"Please don't rope me into this." Kermit whimpered.

"Then there were concept sketches, animators, and this lost boy that's just sitting there by a computer." The three were backed against a wall as Whim sipped his milkshake with a bucket of popcorn next to him. "Please leave me be, you've got such an elegant face that If ya just put me in their-"

"Now wait just a minute." And now Mushu was about to put his foot in his snout yet again. "If you think you can step all over a fierce dragon of China such as myself, then you've got another thing coming!"

"Very well," Maleficent coldly sneered. "You now face with me…"

"Oh, yeah!" Mushu barked back, looking to breath fire all over. "Bring it on, tall, dark and horny!"

"And all the powers of HELL!"

A pillar of green flame and dark magic erupted on cue, and thus Mushu truly felt as small as he was against Maleficent's draconian form. Banter and fleeing ensued before Stitch decided to take action himself, wrestling the CGI dragon with Mushu providing colored commentary as Redfeather and Kermit released the two fairies who rewarded them with Pixie Dust. "Hey, kid! The Pixie Dust is kind of a Peter Pan thing, but the ladies did it anyway, you don't mind, do ya?"

"No sir." Whim smiled back, then proceeded to watch the three pull at Maleficent's wings before Stitch yeets her by the tail into the pit in which she perished. "I'm pretty sure you get the idea, right, Uncle Walt?"

Walt was not paying attention, instead he was looking at two movie posters, posters for films he had always wanted to see put to film. Further accentuated by Part of Your World's leitmotif playing in the background, Walt is feeling wistful and melancholy. "We had our stumbles, but in time we picked ourselves up and got back in the groove. Hey, we know a gut who'd love to meet ya!"

And words could not describe how warm you felt when you directed that scene, Alex came in, mustache and all, surprised Roy and Michael in how intricate the costume was, and Eric even animated a scene for Walt and Mickey's reunion (The mouse himself was playing a guessing game like in Michael and Mickey with the roles reversed when Mickey spots Walt entering his office.) before the face to face meeting between the living nephew and animated uncle.

"You sure you don't want to stick around?" Roy Edward Disney asked Walt as the instrumental music seamlessly flowed from Out There to Feed the Birds. "I'm sure Michael could use a pointer or two."

"Nah. I've got a city to get back to." Walt smiled. "Permanent work in progress, you know?"

"I understand." Roy sighed back. "But thank you."

"Just keep moving forward, Roy." Spoke Walt to his nephew as Once Upon a Dream kicked in. "It's what we Disneys do best. So long."

That meeting was filmed on the day Iger woke up from his coma, and the chills you felt as it was filmed spoke for themselves as the sheer happenstance of it all felt too fortunate, he would then get called up to restart Fox Kids, going as far as to gobble up a good chunk of Turner like its MGM library and even Cartoon Network. You and the crowd all watched as the animated characters flew off into the sunset, and the shorts completion prompted you to introduce the preview like it always did. "Okay, with all that, let's dig into our upcoming release Chicken Little. Yes, we put out our first two fully in-house CGI flicks within months of each other without a certain fella at both ends of the feature."

You pointed to a nearby Luxo Lamp. "Don't worry, Pixar's coming back next year to save our skins. Stars Larry the Cable Guy as a redneck truck, check it out!"

Box Office Results for A Few Good Ghosts

(D900=224)

$224 Million Dollar Gross

You went back to your apartment, exhausted from wasting a day of your life corralling a bunch of kids across the studio over and over when you find yourself watching Cartoon Network when you find a clock ticking at the bottom of the screen, you wonder what it means and within a half hour, you see it.

"We live our lives taking each second for granted."

"But what would you do if you knew how much time you had left."

That last voice.

"Unus Annus."

"One Year."

It was Alex.

"This space, like all of you, has a limited amount of time."

"And every day, we March ever closer to this institution's inevitable doom."

He and Pat Sajak were on screen, one in white, one in black.

"That's why every day will be a completely different schedule excepting this network's myriad blocks until the clock strikes zero."

"And then, it's game over."

"Bye, Bye."

"Finito."

"Finished."

"Curtains."

"Farvell."

"Kaputski."

"Night-Night."

"User Wins."

"Dead."

"Forever."

That doesn't sound good.

"Doubtless, you think they'll just stop with the new schedule, do you."

"That's what they said back when we hosted this at DuMont."

"And all that was left afterwards were mere memories of what could have been."

"For much like death, you can't take it with you."

They really were that stupid, were they?

"You remember DuMont, right?"

"No? Perfect."

Yep. They were.

And the best place for cartoons was about to die for it.

Since Fox Kids was going to take the jump to basic cable anyway, why not get rid of the one redundant aspect they did end up with...
If this is Cartoon Network we're talking about, could we at least change that part of the story for this version? I don't think a lot of people would take CN dying for Fox Kids lightly....

In Aslan's Name
You loved Cookie Crisp as a Kid.

You liked the Chocolate Chip, you were content with Vanilla Wafer, you tasted Oatmeal. But when Ralston got gobbled up by General Mills, it was never the same again.

So naturally, you asked a favor of Bob Iger to sneak the old Ralston Vanilla Wafer recipe into a Monster Cereal made as a celebration of the 25th Anniversary of Friday the Thirteenth. Just add chocolate marbits and you have a guest star for Halloween.

You were joking, of course. Didn't stop Bob from going up to General Mills to pitch the idea and next thing you knew, you were single handedly responsible for dooming a horror movie icon of the 80s to a complete negation of what little scaryness he had left. Least you had what Ralston used to make.

Chocolate Marbits, Vanilla Cookies

You munched on a bowl of what was being disguised by a layer of Marbits as 'Machete Mateys' at a meeting on the tactical distribution of a new potential franchise for the Mouse. "The Chronicles of Narnia has the potential to be a massive hit to compete with Harry Potter and it's our job to distribute them appropriately, we already have Lion and Caspian locked in for this year and 2007. Five more films to go."

"Actually, I've been reading Dawn Treader." You mentioned. "It's so episodic, you could make it a Miniseries on ABC and put in Silver Chair for 09. Hell, throw in Horse and his Boy and Magician's Nephew with a different director each."

"A year of Narnia." Eisener's face lit up. "I like it!"

"And we could maybe build a Fantasyland expansion with a meet n greet for the monarchs of Narnia."

"We can even have one of them release in Easter."

"But which one?"

Aaaaand you just triggered a debate over who's on first. Insert Abbot and Costello Meme here. You opened your laptop and went about your day. You just got an email from a small Irish studio looking to cut their teeth in the industry. Cartoon Saloon, you believed they were called. You had put their 2002 short From Darkness in front of Ghosts and was dubbed the highlight of the whole movie. As a result, Eisener had contracted them with a deal, Disney would distribute their films with the same 50-50 split we did with Pixar and in exchange: they were gonna help speed up production back in Florida. This meant plenty of jobs on both ends and another outlet for prestige films.

(Cartoon Saloon now available for Outsorcing)

Another thing you were keeping an eye on is the internet and its talents, like, for example, Matt Wilson. His humor was rather referential and relied more on cutaway gags but his dedication to voicing as many characters as possible (yes, even the women) adds to the value for the man. Sounds like he'd be fun for the story department, especially given Eisener's tastes. But how to appeal?

You dialed up Jodi Benson and asked if she was interested in doing a web cartoon.

(D23=12)

"Not too sure about this but alright." Jodi answered. "Who do you have in mind?"

"A toss up between two redheads. One's a robot, the other's a milf." You snarked as you tapped at the floor. "In all seriousness, the character of Rya is dry in tone and cynical in attitude, not to mention can be a cold blooded killing machine. In contrast, Jessica is more laid back and doesn't let her mature age get in the way of her attempts to be one of the gang. Whoever you audition for, tell Matt when your debut episode is about to drop."

"I will, sir." Jodi smiled over the phone. "Thank you for the call, if there's any other roles you're hearing me playing, I'm game!"

(Jodi Benson added to Voice Pool)

At the end of the meeting, you went up to Eisener and raised your hand. "Yeah, Dan."

"Look, Roy's been lobbying hard for change and honestly… this place needs it." You mentioned. "So give it to me straight, when do you intend to leave?"

Michael pondered this for a moment, thinking of the enemies he had made in the past two decades and all the missteps he had made in the decade leading up to it. Reluctantly, he sighed back. "09."

You were floored by this. It felt like he was making amends for the past decade of mistakes but all you could say was "I think… that 20 years since Florida got started up."

"Which is why I'm asking you to revive this for 2008." Michael pulls out a folder of concept art labeled Tam Lin. "Sony's trying and failing to adapt it to film, Now Roger's doing something called Open Season at the expense of his goddamn dignity."

"I'll make the call once the release is in sight." You vowed to your superior.

New Film Approaching!

• Tam Lin - Sony Pictures' attempt to adapt the Scottish fable into a feature project is crumbling before our eyes and with co-director Brenda Chapman at Pixar and Roger Alles finishing up Open Season over at Sony, the timing is right for to fetch this bad boy from the scraps. (Roy's Baby Bonus - Could buy Eisener some points to stave off Roy and Gold's Save Disney campaign. +10 to Trust from Roy E. Disney. Roger Alles re-added to Director Pool.)
"Oh, and one more thing." Michael turned to you and said: "You said it was the 20th Anniversary of when we opened up Feature Animation, right?"

"...yeah."

"Celebrate it, Dan!" Michael insisted. "Create a Princess! Revive a project! Genderflip Beauty and the Beast and add the Genie from Aladdin, I dunno! Just do what you do best and I'll be happy for ya."

"That last idea sounds extraordinarily dangerous." You deadpanned, but you let the idea sit for a while. "Thank you for your suggestions, sir. We'll keep both in mind."

New Film Approaching!

• Beauty within a Beast - A modern day retelling of a tale as old as time with a bigger tweak than just the genie. Billy Bell must take his father's place after he gets himself in hot water with a beastly beauty.
  • A Small World - Twelve-Year-Old Maria Masham was meant to inherit the family fortune once she's grown. But when you're in the care of some unpleasant people, you're prone to asking for more in life.
Well, may as well enjoy the sights of California while you are here. But where do you go besides Disneyland? Maybe Universal?

No, you'd be risking your career! Perhaps a visit to Cartoon Network may lead to some talent poaching. "Hey, Taxi!"

One drive later, you snuck into their studio space where you couldn't help but feel a sense of grim foreboding.

"Death looms heavily on this house." Maxwell Atoms spoke, a hint of worry in his eyes as he clutched an envelope labeled

to: Primal Screen

Operation ZERO Interstitial 'Billy and Mandy leave Utonium to ROT.'​

Guess this was the Total Immersion Event that caps off Iger's Anus as some staffers called it, and from the looks of everyone in the studio, things did not appear all that good.

"Uh, I'm currently accepting resumes in Florida." you spoke, prompting a couple dozen people swarming you as if they were eager to flee a sinking ship. "Thank you, uh. Could you please come by me one at a time? Or maybe mail them to Disneyworld?"

That only made the situation worse, more artists with crushed dreams flooded you than before and frankly, you needed to book it.

You ran as fast as your legs could carry you until you bumped right into a big fella who had just got out of his car. One look up and you saw the mug of: "Genndy Tartakovsky, right?"

Ain't this an October surprise. "You okay?"

"Is this place okay?"

Genndy looked to the side and asked: "Need another director?"

Katbot
This entry is for a show... it was cancelled IOTL, and it really bums me out.

GHFIZosWEAAwUTv

Disney's Katbot is a comedy series about a curious, somewhat naïve, fun-loving cat robot named Katbot, from the planet Katatonia, who, as part of her schooling is sent to Earth to study tween culture. By using her Hypno-façade, she disguises herself as Katerina Botenski, a foreign exchange student from a small Eastern European country. The only person who knows her secret is her best friend, Junior Lebore, the son of her host family. Through her friendships with an eclectic group of earthlings, Katbot experiences life on Earth with a unique and comic perspective.

With Angela Martini busy as an assistant storyboard artist on Dororo, she couldn't completely oversee the first season of the show and it certainly showed in how far it had skewed in the presentation. A prime example being how the Hypno-façade is initially more in line with the original design from Martini only to be shifted into a more 'marketable' form later on in a sleepover episode. While fans would recognise this as a sense of character progression, they also decried Melissa Greenspan's Marcella Curd as being a knockoff Mr. Crocker (from Fox Kids program The Fairly OddParents) but in due time, she would be downplayed and even let in on the secret and shown the consequences of her actions in the season finale.

When Martini had finished her work in Florida, she was upset at the damage the veteran talents TVA hired had done to her original vision stating that 'I got the shaft, while all these strangers came in to make my show', thus CEO Michael Eisener would command that those 'strangers' do what they can to make it up to her. As Martini got used to the veteran cartoon creators, Executive Producer Sherri Stoner would go on to say that working with Martini was like raising a daughter in a sense. Nowhere is this more evident than the Daria-esque Katbot character herself allowing the Lebores into her life and adapting to the human world with a more go-with-the-flow vibe to her.

In its three-season run of sixty-five episodes, what started as 'some horrid caricature of what it originally was' would evolve prove itself a steadfast competitor against the likes of Nickelodeon's Jimmy Neutron or Fox Kids' Phineas and Ferb [1] (emerging the following year.) and eventually inspire modern hits such as Moperville [2] which benefitted from a creative use of the Cartoon Network Estate, Twelve Forever which would experience similar growing pains to Katbot in the first of its four seasons from the opposite problem of the creator causing trouble for the staffers. and Making Friends[3] Overall, Katbot proved to be a moderate success for Disney that filled the need for coming of age cartoons for young girls.

[1] How'd that happen? Stay Tuned.

[2] El Goonish Shive gets a Cartoon in the future. Keep your eyes peeled for that.

[3] Kristen Gudsnuk's graphic novel series, put to Cartoon Form in 2021.

Last edited:
This entry is for a show... it was cancelled IOTL, and it really bums me out.

GHFIZosWEAAwUTv

Disney's Katbot is a comedy series about a curious, somewhat naïve, fun-loving cat robot named Katbot, from the planet Katatonia, who, as part of her schooling is sent to Earth to study tween culture. By using her Hypno-façade, she disguises herself as Katerina Botenski, a foreign exchange student from a small Eastern European country. The only person who knows her secret is her best friend, Junior Lebore, the son of her host family. Through her friendships with an eclectic group of earthlings, Katbot experiences life on Earth with a unique and comic perspective.

With Angela Martini busy as an assistant storyboard artist on Dororo, she couldn't completely oversee the first season of the show and it certainly showed in how far it had skewed in the presentation. A prime example being how the Hypno-façade is initially more in line with the original design from Martini only to be shifted into a more 'marketable' form later on in a sleepover episode. While fans would recognise this as a sense of character progression, they also decried Melissa Greenspan's Marcella Curd as being a knockoff Mr. Crocker (from Fox Kids program The Fairly OddParents) but in due time, she would be downplayed and even let in on the secret and shown the consequences of her actions in the season finale.

When Martini had finished her work in Florida, she was upset at the damage the veteran talents TVA hired had done to her original vision stating that 'I got the shaft, while all these strangers came in to make my show', thus CEO Michael Eisener would command that those 'strangers' do what they can to make it up to her. As Martini got used to the veteran cartoon creators, Executive Producer Sherri Stoner would go on to say that working with Martini was like raising a daughter in a sense. Nowhere is this more evident than the Daria-esque Katbot character herself allowing the Lebores into her life and adapting to the human world with a more go-with-the-flow vibe to her.

In its three-season run of sixty-five episodes, what started as 'some horrid caricature of what it originally was' would evolve prove itself a steadfast competitor against the likes of Nickelodeon's Jimmy Neutron or Fox Kids' Phineas and Ferb [1] (emerging the following year.) and eventually inspire modern hits such as Moperville [2] which benefitted from a creative use of the Cartoon Network Estate, Twelve Forever which would experience similar growing pains to Katbot in the first of its four seasons from the opposite problem of the creator causing trouble for the staffers. and Making Friends[3] Overall, Katbot proved to be a moderate success for Disney that filled the need for coming of age cartoons for young girls.

[1] How'd that happen? Stay Tuned.

[2] El Goonish Shive gets a Cartoon in the future. Keep your eyes peeled for that.

[3] Kristen Gudsnuk's graphic novel series, put to Cartoon Form in 2021.
Cool! Also, the El Goonish Shive cartoon's called Moperville? Why?

Also, wasn't Making Fiends already a thing?

Cool! Also, the El Goonish Shive cartoon's called Moperville? Why?

Also, wasn't Making Fiends already a thing?
Because Dan Shive said he'd have come up with a better name had he started EGS over again, and what better place to do just that than with a Cartoon Adaptation. (Case and point, a shot of Elliot and Ellen in the hospital nursery opens the series)

Making Fiends, while getting a show on Fox Kids would see itself get outshined by Yin-Yang-Yo! Making Friends, on the other hand, adapts the feel of Kristen Gudsnuk's graphic novel series to a Tee upon its debut in 2022.

Because Dan Shive said he'd have come up with a better name had he started EGS over again, and what better place to do just that than with a Cartoon Adaptation. (Case and point, a shot of Elliot and Ellen in the hospital nursery opens the series)
Ah.
Making Fiends, while getting a show on Fox Kids would see itself get outshined by Yin-Yang-Yo! Making Friends, on the other hand, adapts the feel of Kristen Gudsnuk's graphic novel series to a Tee upon its debut in 2022.
So.........which Making Fiends is it?

or.....

Also, how didi Yin Yang Yo! get on Fox Kids? The whole Jetix thing?

A Circle 7 Christmas
Okay, strip Dororo down and stick her arm in a rock wall as she nearly drowns for Yak to save her, kill a few nameless orphans alongside Tezuka to drive Yak murderous for Dororo to soothe in his final battle with his dad, aaaand done!

And with that, you had finished the storyboards with Ranft and Dororo was ready for production! And now, your monthly flight to California for a Christmas party that was being hosted at, of all places, something the boss established as a cheapquel mill.

(Circle 7 Animation founded, will thankfully not be making TV programs out of Pixar's set of Parables and no DTV Sequels… yet. +10 to Animosity with Pixar.)

I could feel the tensions bubbling up as John walked through the halls of Circle 7, Both Steve and Ed lobbied hard to block the direct to video pipeline and even added a rule where the Sequels to hand drawn works would remain hand drawn. To appease Eisner's CG mandates, any original titles Released by DisneyToon would be made in this style, hence the Disney Fairies franchise being adapted to film.

And Circle 7, putting the finishing touches on the first season of a Monsters Inc Cheapquel-turned-Show, would be helping out on the computer animation. When I saw its head honcho Andrew Millstein, I couldn't help but wave hello.

"Congrats on the new show, you child molesters!" I joked to him, referencing Lassiter's initial reaction to Circle 7. "Sorry you can't touch Toy Story 3."

"It's alright." Spoke Millstein. "I hear you've got Dororo's boards planned out, huh."

"Yep. Ready to roll right now." You chimed. "Since you already have our Dororo over at the kiddie table, we actually invited our villain along."

"Nick Cage." He introduced. "Honored to be a part of the Disney family, looking forward to recording with you."

"Charmed." Millstein shook hands with him. "It feels good to be face to face with Hollywood royalty."

"Really, y'know…" Cage chuckled. "I'm only an actor here, they're the guys pulling their weight on this hootenanny."

"Why, thank you, sir." You bowed. "Now how about we go top off our drinks."

"I would like that very much." Cage answered and the two bigwigs went off to pour some more wine into their glasses.

"So…" You started after a bit of awkward silence. "That Monsters Inc. show, huh?"

"Yep, Mary's being a lot more cooperative in the recording studio."

"Yeah, you gotta keep in mind, she was practically in diapers when she did her lines and one does not simply hold a kid still in one spot." You reminded his fellow talent, reviving a joke you shared in the BtS featurette. "She's pushing ten now, and she's gonna be older than Dororo when his movie drops so give it to me straight. How was she this good at playing the cunning young lad she read for?"

Look for the bear necessities,
The simple bear necessities
Forget about your worries and your strife!

There she was, belting out Bear Necessities with John Goodman and Haley Joel Osment. Even Tony Jay could be seen tapping his foot to the rhythm. Guess Jungle Book 3's wrapped up recording and is now off to Paris for the animation process. So that's why we couldn't get Paris, they were stuck on the stinkin' cheapquel mill!

Well, no point prolonging it, then. You walked over to Tony and offered an invitation to perform a final character before he steps down from the industry and retires.

Mo Willams did not like sitting next to Bob Iger.

But sit he did as Sharon Mann performed a seemingly minor Witch character that was rotting from the inside out which would attack Numbuh One and his father in some random episode that leads into Operation ZERO: The Centerpiece of Unus Annus' ultimate conclusion

"Prepare to perish, my pretty! And your little paw too! AHAHA-*hack*-*cough* Dooooh, I needed that lung."

This was of course a Senior Citizombified Aileta, but all she knew was this one aspect shared with all citizombies as part of Iger's true intent for the branding.

"....f-forgive me, master."

The on-screen death of Cartoon Network.

The Big Read
You were twiddling your thumbs and Eric was sketching away as you both awaited your crew of supervising animators. Eight central characters were now at stake for a group of willing Animators. All of the actors had recorded their performances save for the climactic scene, Nick Cage would be meeting with Mary, Morris and your personal pick for Mio…

(Devim Sidell cast as Mio!)

A rerun of Malcolm in the Middle you watched during your days as an associate producer of Pixar has led to you discovering an actress that had a distinct voice worthy of a strong willed and outspoken Disney Princess that would come out of a hard life such as Mio.

“Holy fuck… Holy fuck. HOLY FUCK!” The voice of John Lassiter rang through Pixar as he made his way into the studio. You've never heard him erupt this hard before, guess he must have heard about what Eisener just blew our Narnia Money on…

($1.7 Billion Dollars spent buying Vivendi Universal's Video Game Division.)

"...video games? Video Games!" He slammed a nearby Foozball Table. "VIDEO GAMES!?"

"Better luck next buyout, John." You wished out loud from across the hall. "Look at it this way, we've got some iconic video game characters in our portfolio."

John was clearly irate and wanted nothing more than to retreat to his office. So you left him be and got to the real meat of the meeting. "Okay, now to announce Supervising Animators, Glenn Keane's offered to take Dororo when his Rapunzel flick fell apart and Eric's, of course, doing Yak and his Dad. Which leaves a few faces ripe for the picking and some talent freshly poached from Dreamworks, Please welcome Scott Bern, Bill Salazar and returning champion James Baxter!"

We clapped for him in celebration of regaining a talent that had left us for Dreamworks but came back with a few of their talents displaced by their abandonment of the hand drawn craft. The Pixar staffers present celebrated the occasion, given it was a mere associate that fought to keep the 2D Department going at the mouse. "The characters in question include Ohagi, Tobio, Tezuka, and Mio who, being the love interest and designated princes of the tale, gets a musical number to herself."

There was yammering to be had as the Animators discussed who was going to take in the characters. And thus, it was your cue to get into the studio. Alan Menken did the score for this ditty and reunited with Stephen Shwartz for three original songs: 'Do as you will!' Kagemitsu's plea to the Demons who strip Hyakkimaru of his senses in exchange for prosperity 'Demons for Dollars' the montage of Dororo's entrepreneurial and eventually familial kinship with Yak, and 'Do I Have To?' where Mio pleads for Ohagi to renounce her demonic ways and relinquish Yak's taste. Complete with a reprise where she ponders her lot in life following her hearing Yak's voice.

(D23=17)

And while it wasn't Alan's best, it got pretty damn close. This was where the final chapter of the film would be recorded so you had to have the main four together, Eric had arranged for John Morris to babysit Mary regularly for an authentic connection and while his initial takes weren't exactly Disney Quality, a one-to-one-to-one-to-one meeting to act out the climax with foam swords would do the trick and provide reference that would be mixed in with the sword fight reference they filmed in the Pixar Lobby with stuntman Ray Park. (That was a fun one) What made it all the more important was the one way mirror that the Toy Story 3 crew would be watching through for the main surprise.

And finally… It was time.

Kagemitsu had burned down the rice field to lure in his son for a final duel between them, Kagemitsu had Dororo in his clutches and there was a selection of one-liners Cage had provided alluding to Dororo's true feminine biology, but for Yak's entrance, but one was needed.

"Step away from the boy."

This was an impact both in and out of context. For audiences, it is a sign of respect for his brother and how he was raised as such in spite of the opposite equipment. For Lassiter, Ranft, and Unkrich, it showed that their Andy still sounded young enough to fit the boy we followed for the past decade of the franchise that started it all for Pixar.

"Oh, so she's yours?" Cage as Kagemitsu sneered back to his son. "She's your little purse puppy?"

"Yakky!" Mary piped as Dororo before making a biting sound with Cage wincing in pain. "Give 'em back, he needs those eyes to see!"

"Well make me, son." Cage challenged. "Or perhaps you wanna join me."

"Join you?" hushed John as Hyakkimaru. "In spite of it all? When you fed me to the hall of hell, when you've stripped me of what makes me human!?"

"It was for our land, Hyakkimaru!" Cage barked back. "It was for prosperity! It was to claim what the Buddha refused to yield onto us!"

"And what of the ones who perished in your name!?" Devin as Mio argued! "Are you just gonna walk all over them like they never existed to begin with?!"

"It was for the greater good!"

A dead silence filled the air, broken only by Morris: "...the greater good?" He let out a wheeze that broke into a laugh, then, it was on. Slashes and strikes abound as the grunts of pain were recorded by the sound mixers. Tears were shed when Dororo begged for a critically injured Yak to wake up and happiness ensued when Yak opened his eyes and saw the boy he fought long and hard to protect.

Screen Presence Rolls (Bo3, D23)

John Morris as Hyakkimaru - (8, 18, 11)
Mary Gibbs as Dororo - (13, 18, 9)
Devin Sidell as Mio - (17, 18, 11)
Christopher Lee as Bishop Tezuka - (14, 2, 16)
Josh Hucherson as Tobio - (14, 13, 14)
Angelina Jolie as Ohagi - (15, 4, 14)
Nicolas Cage as Kagemitsu - (10, 21, 16)

Chemistry Rolls (D23)

Morris-Gibbs (19)
Morris-Sidell (8)
Morris-Cage (19)
Gibbs-Hucherson (16)
Sidell-Hucherson (10)
Cage-Lee (16)
Sidell-Jolie (14)
While his chemistry between Devin wasn't the best, the babysitting days he spent with Mary paid off considerably, he even impressed Cage with how incredible his performance was. Turns out, he watched at least one Nicolas Cage film a week to help him capture the sensation of a young Nick Cage down to the aforementioned wheezing laugh.

Make no mistake, in spite of your poor pick for Mio, this genuinely had the makings of a home run.

Five Months.

That was all Cartoon Network had left.

Miguzi and Toonami had plenty of budget for their bumpers and anime, but there was one acquired show from each block that would be the instruments of the network's doom. There were even animations in progress of the Adult Swim characters escaping the Earth aboard Sealab as it catapults itself into hyperspace with the Absolution and the Undertow for the final scenes of Operation ZERO.

It was especially hard for Curious Pictures who were tasked with piecing together a crossover with a show that creator Tom Warburton didn't want to cross over with in the first place. And now that they had sent in the animations to be outsourced to their usual Korean subcontractors, their job now was to keep the secret from the actors...

...or at least the actors who haven't figured out what was to come yet.

Calm before the Storm
Animation Theater -Because We're Curious
Production Gallery - Dororo Artwork
Meet the Characters - Whim, Mickey Mouse, Sora, Donald and Goofy
Animation Academy - Drawing Class
Animation Gallery - Disney Animation art gallery​

Yet again, you drew the shortest straw and yet again you had to entertain guests at the zoo part of the Animator Zoo. At least you could keep your damn mouth shut this time.

You had to.

It was a relatively open secret that at some point, new Disney executives had to put on the big mascot costumes for the park. And now that a costume for one of the tour's OCs had been finished, you would be an exception no longer.

You were four days out from the end of Unus Annus and had undergone a sort of Boot Camp while Eric called Robin Williams back to iron out details and mannerisms of the Whim walkaround and this would be the culmination of this, roaming the galleries in front of the tour.

On occasion, you could catch a glimpse of the tour video as you wandered mindlessly. (At least as much as this heavy suit would allow you to see.) The fact that a few Animators had to act as your anchors so that you couldn't fall over and trip over things or worse, children of paying families. Yeah, that certainly didn't help, especially in the humid hellscape that is Lake Buena Vista

Clearly, you needed to make some requests when you left to visit Lassiter. No low-paid college student should have to sit in this sweatsack and share it with other blokes and babes unfortunate enough to be plopped into it.

When the day was up, you were more than ready to black out and wake up on your flight to Cali when you were handed the roughs of your animators.

Poll Results!
  • Scott Bern - Mio (4 Votes)
  • James Baxter - Ohagi (2 Votes, Tied with Tobio, Blaise with more votes for Tobio)
  • Aaron Blaise - Tobio (3 Votes)
  • Bill Salazar - Bishop Tezuka (2 Votes, Tied with Ohagi, Baxter had less votes for Tezuka)
Ready to Roll!
  • Eric Goldberg for Hyakkimaru and Kagemitsu (D23 + 10 = 32)
  • Glenn Keane for Dororo (D23 + 5 = 18)
  • James Baxter for Ohagi (D23 + 10 = 28)
  • Aaron Blaise for Tobio (D23 - 5 = 18)
  • Bill Salazar for Tezuka (D23 + 5 = 10)
  • Scott Bern for Mio (D23 = 13)
Eric clearly knocked it out of the park with Yak, Glenn brought a spark of mischievous nature to Dororo, Ohagi under Baxter was certainly someone who could steal the show and while the overwork of supervising the other orphans was a challenge, what Aaron did for Tobes was pretty good for what it was worth. Bill did his best with Tezuka but Tezuka pretty much did very little in this film so maybe on Quixote. What was more disappointing was Scott Bern's Mio artwork, mid-tier animations for a mid-tier performance.

At least you know a new princess from this flick was out of the question.

(A/N: The calm before the storm. Brace yourself, 7-30 is coming...)

Dead Silence
July 30th, 2006. The fated sunday, this was being hyped up as the end of Unus Annus drew closer and closer, and now you sat with John, Joe, Eric and Pete in the Love Lounge you personally outfitted with a home theater system and with that, you were ready to see this Operation ZERO that was made to be the execution of Cartoon Network.

Les Moonves had invited a few key talents to the Nicktoons Studio in Burbank to a watch party. He looked to his guests with great delight. "I'd like to thank you all for coming, for tonight marks a day that will live in infamy!"

“Alright! Let's light this candle!” Dan Schneider settled in his recliner with a Bud Light in his hand. Dan had made a few heavy hitters for Nick in the past and was eyeing one more with Miranda Cosgrove at the helm.

“A shame it had to come to this, but that's Iger for ya.” Rob Renzetti had left Fox Family as the tide was turning against the formula of Mina and the Count and moved on to a rising star of Nickelodeon's: My Life as a Teenage Robot.

“I'm just hoping Unus Annus’ secret weapon doesn't do too much damage unlike some projects.” Traci Paige Johnson sighed in resignation. The year's ‘Blue's Rain’ that the studio pitched to BONES for the 10th Anniversary of Blue's Clues was proving to be as big a mess as depicting her Blue in place of the Blue from Wolf's Rain via an Infinite Time Loop Multiverse premise in a sad effort to match Fox Kids’ Avatar: The Last Airbender could end up being. One scene that made her cringe in disgust was the recurring bit with Aoi (Blue's human form) hides her ears under her hair out of embarrassment being addressed in a hot spring episode where she, Cheza and human companion Leara were completely naked.

“Come on, Trace, live a little!” chuckled Steve Oedenkirk. His own Barnyard Movie closing in on its August release. “It can't be that bad, worst-case scenario, the heroes have to leave their destroyed world in favor of the Power Rangers Universe.”

“That's Disney IP now.” stated Rob.

“That Saban is loaning to them!” Steve stated back. “It'll be back on the plantation in time for the 20th, I just know it.”

“Shhh!!!” Hushed Les. “It's starting.”

Burny would often if the walls could talk at the Disney Studio so for this moment, let's pretend that they could. How would the night unfold for the characters of those hollowed halls? In the bell tower of Notre Dame, Quasimodo was hosting a watch party much like the one at the Nicktoons Studio. Only here, the Princesses donned cloaks matching their iconic gowns and one in a pastel purple bowed to their guests.

"Looks like I finally get to try out my new move," Gloated Numbuh 1 at the sight of four identical ice cream men. "guaranteed to take out four enemies in one shot."

"Love the confidence!" sneered one of them, "I'll have to make you whip it out when I destroy you last."

"RETREAT!" Mr. Boss' call prompted the Ice Cream Men to dissipate into polymorphic smog, confusing Numbuh 1 before a dogfight ensued at the moonbase.

“Man, this is a pretty fun ride!” chirped Melody, enthusiastic about the movie thus far. Her mother looked on with concern.

“Just wait until Grandfather pimps in.” Spoke the brunette in purple.

Sure enough, the Recommisioning Module was handed to the Villains by Memento and Mori (What Pat and Alex's characters came to be known as), resulting in the return of Grandfather and his vow to ageify every child on the planet. Moonves and his minions watched with intent as Grandfather continued. “To ensure total tranquility, my passing upon destroying the Book of KND shall Alchemixabsorbilate every living being that has ever been a kid!”

“Genius, Sheer- wait…” Nightbrace jumped with fear. “Alchemixabsorbilate!?”

Les Moonves watched the blurry dissolve tee up the skit depicting a Van Hoenheim lookalike from Fullmetal Alchemist that Studio BONES couldn't adapt into the Anime. “Yes, Alchemixabsorbilate. A volatile compound you can use to openly violate the principles of equivalent exchange with extreme prejudice!”

“I was but a sickly babe before Alchemixabsorbilate.” A seductive tenor spoke over a photo of a dying little girl before cutting to the voluptuous woman to which the voice belonged. “Now I'm stacked and everyone loves me.”

Next was Gluttony, who was eating a two headed cow. “Alchemixabsorbilate gave me infinite num-nums!”

“I will not share how Alchemixabsorbilate played a significant part in my career.” King Bradley concluded. “But one can clearly see the results.”

“But it is only in Amestris where Alchemixabsorbilate can be harvested.” The false Hohenheim continued “Because the more people in the country, the happier things shall be! Mwuhahahahahahahaha-!”

“But earthling, they don't have Alchemixabsorbilate on my planet, eh-rumble.” Mumbled Red Rumble to the old-timey Homestar Runner.

“That's cause you're a communist fool, Red!” Homestar swiped back.

“So what are you waiting for!” Demanded the false Hoenheim. “Call the number on the card under your seat today to see how you can contribute to the harvest!”

A fun little jingle played as Old-Timey Homestar characters did a jig.

Alchemixabsorbilate! (Feed it to the babies!)

Alchemixabsorbilate! (Or as a topping on Soured Cream!)

Back with the Villains, silence filled the air until Toiletnator chimed in. “Neat, so we should be perfectly safe! Alchemixabso-!”

The graphic ageification of the villains that followed proved to be a horror show for all who were observing. One particularly nasty moment when Cree's damaged thrusters rammed her into Grandfathter, turning her on the spot. It appears she is fighting it, but then:

Splort!

A naked citizombie bursts out, illustrating pregnancy to the traumatized children who watched as he crushed Numbuh 5's head. The Pixar party tried their best not to vomit at the sight. Clearly, the censors knew there was no point in toning down the violence in what Lazzo stated would be a live execution of the network.

“Hell of a way to show the birds and the bees!” cried Ranft as a bumper played of the Powerpuffs doing their ‘Easy Way or the Hard Way’ bit before getting interrupted by ageified teen ninjas.

As the film progressed, you could only watch the carnage unfold from Megas getting ripped apart to 'Nahua Hoikea' executing Order 66 to XANA tricking Aelita into believing there was a truce between the two enemy forces after tearing an citizombified Jeremie's head in two on screen only for her to Devirtualize in a scanner a XANAfied hamster had built inside the Sector V Treehouse for the citizombified Numbuh 3 to ageify two snots with one smooch.

But what particularly stung was the way the other three Lyoko Warriors went out.

"I needed that lung..." Aileta watched as her left lung rotted away in front of Nigel.

"No!" Cried Yumi, watching from the Factory via the Supercomputer.

"Aileta!" Ulrich added.

"Yeah, clearly not our day today, Sam." Odd snarked to his former girlfriend.

"Not gonna lie, I genuinely feel sorry for you runts right now." XANA noted amongst his temporary 'allies' "Who'd be sick enough to make a dark situation even worse... I WOULD!"

In a sing-song tone, XANA teed up a window of Lyoko's Core surrounded by his minions, a XANAfied William commanding them.

"Backstabbing..." Yumi snarled before barking to Sissi and Hiroki: "Get to the Scanners!"

They would virtualize them before heading to Sector 5, and it would end badly for the wiser party with Yumi yeeted from the Core of Lyoko into the KND Moonbase voicing her regrets about letting the XANA Possessed William into the group as she is age-ified atop Numbuh 362 and puppeteered into chopping off Numbuh 2's arm, Ulrich roasting Grandfather about the one thing that could possibly undo his reign of terror.

"A really big guy who can punch super hard?"

"An army of robot gorillas that bite?"

"Um... pie?"

Grandfather stood there dumbfounded before cloaking half the united states in his own shadow, causing all matter to crumble to dust and be absorbed into his being, (Toiletnator crying out: "WAIT! I CAN DO OTHER STUUuuuuuuu-!" as he dissolves.) One word escapes Grandfather's breath: "Hope."

The Animators at Disney watched through another eleven minutes, more revelations on the Kids Next Door side with no love for Code Lyoko, capping off with Grandfather combining himself onto Numbuh Zero, creating Monty!Grandfather. And here they were, the end of the final commercial break, the final bumper depicting Zatch Bell and his human partner Kiyo surrounded by every Cartoon Cartoon they can design citizombified forms to put on screen.

"We're swamped, Kiyo." Cried Zatch. "Is this the end for us?"

"Not… while we're still young!" Kiyo huffed before opening the spellbound. "BAO ZAKERGA!"

The electric dragon erupted onscreen in the best CG Animal Logic could piece together on such short notice. The five cheered the aspiring Mamodo King in this final blaze of glory, knowing full well that this IP would be locked up with the rest never again to see the light of day.

"YOU KNOW WHO'S GOT THE POWER!"

"GO DOWN SWINGING, ZATCH!"

Their cheers would quickly subside when they saw the two faces that opened the doors to the bridge were live action, they would proceed to jeer at them as you remained silent with your near empty bag of Smartfood.

"Remind me to meld this butterball's mouth shut!" Tara Strong's performance as the now citizombified Yumi complained from out of the melted head of Numbuh 2 to the citizombies that once made up Sector V.

"Honestly, you'd be doing us a favor." Numbuh 5 jeered back.

"Enough puppetry!" Numbuh 4's voiceover is overlaid with David Gassan's performance of XANA. "Let's cut to the chase. I've done just about everything I've intended to do with Grandfather, save for keeping my promise."

Numbuh 1 stepped away, his fighting stance unsteady. "I wanted to try my new move to take out 4 enemies at once."

"And I made sure to give you the chance when I destroyinate you last!" XANA!Numbuh 4 sneered. "Fun fact, I intended for my former enemies to be your opponents."

"Then this hollowed husk gave me a wicked idea." XANA!Numbuh 5 gloated.

"I'm glad I'll never have to fight you, you're crazy." a past recording of Numbuh 5 from Stickybeard's defeat played on the main screen and rewound to replay the line. "I'm glad I'll never have to fight you. -fight you. -fight you."

"I mean really, she was tempting fate right there!" XANA!Numbuh 3 complained as she sat in a chair and dangled her grotesque foot. "So, I made the boys inseminate my princess on top of your leading ladies. Easy-Peasy, Rice-n-Cheezy."

You and your animators reacted in as much disgust as Dan Schnider was aroused, "Oh, come on! Really!? You really wanna introduce kids to freakin' rake!?"

The track that was playing was originally meant for season 4 of Code Lyoko but was playing here in the final confrontation where you watched with heated tension as Numbuh 1 is forced to use I'd 4-on-1 Technique on his friends (as well as the wrinklified kunoichi that had merged with a body) Numbuh 3's skull is ripped open and mashed into Numbuh 4's, triggering an explosive shock to overtake the couple, interestingly, the two become neanderthal-like in their appearance.

"Devo Mines." XANA!Yumi's distorted voice echoed as she pulled the script from Numbuh Two's left eyehole. "Crammed into her gullock by the vessel you've called a friend since Kindergarten."

"Courtesy of yours truly." live action footage of Dennis Hopper reprising his role of President Koopa, "Watch as millions of years of god's trial and error is instantly reversed. Imagine the horror as it all slips down the drain!"

Numbuh 4, now a mix between a rat and a monkey in appearance, reacts in pain and agony painstakingly animated by Paul Boyd as the two quickly fall to the ground splashing into a puddle of primordial ooze.

"It's more than just death..." Koopa declared with Nigel coated in sludge. "It's being... undone."

Koopa writhed in disgust as the XANA-Citizombified Odd and Ulrich stepped from the doorway. "Done with the seeding?" asked XANA!Yumi to which the pair nodded. "Good."

The implications settling into those who know a thing or two about consent, Numbuh 1 looked on in horror as the Lyoko Warriors joined the two fallen teammates of his only as Sector Z swoops in to save the day. "This is going to be... Delightful."

The animators cheered for Sector Z, mainly because there was a fighting chance again that more lives would be spared.

"Hey! Tapioca-Tush!" David readied a heavy object in his grasp... "Catch."

Before slamming it at Yumi's withered waist. "...my liver spo-!"

VRAAAAAAAAP!!!​

A Devo Gun that had been laid onto the ground was pressed by the seat of the widely-talored pants on the body XANA!Yumi was pertruding from, blasting the two into primordial ooze within seconds.

"Thanks David. I don't know what i do without you guys."

"Tough!" Numbuh 1 is pounced by a group of five fiends huddled together, his face contorting in horror as he saw the wrinklified forms of...The Delightful Children

"But how!?"

"They were front of the line at the convention center," 'David' sneered, the Battle Ready Armor shedding its disguise to reveal Memento, with Mori masked as Bruce and the other operatives flickering out of existence as their holo-projectors shut down.

"And unlike the villains who panicked and ran, they accepted their fate in a heartbeat." Mori continued.

"When a decade passes," Memento added. "There will be a generation that will have grown up with secondhand knowledge from wikis and stories of the world's first Cartoon Network."

"Let's hope they remember you." Mori finished. "Memento Mori."

"Unus Annus."

Your mind raced back to Grossology, to Kid Rot, to his final appearance where his compost sludge transformed Ty and Abby in the first Citizombies. You fail to notice the two halves of Numbuh 1's citizombified head on opposite hands of each killer as XANA marches forward to Aileta in his new garglemesh of a body.

"...f-forgive me, massssster."

"No."

With one slash, Aileta's already surgically mutilated head was sliced off and splattered onto the glass of the Moonbase Bridge.

"Fuck you!" Yelled Tom Warburton, who had to rework his sixth season to include a near entirely new cast of heroes. "Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you!"

He continued to say it, pointing at every finalized citizombie design before belting a final "FUCK YOOOOUUUU!!!" to a framed newspaper clipping that broke the news of the Fox-Turner acquisition with a picture of the egotistical narcissist responsible.

"Nothing can stop him anymore!" Hesh called to the Adult Swim Characters aboard the Sealab as they argued and whined about their uncertain situation to Frylock's chagrin. The floating pack of chopped-up potatoes concentrated on figuring out a way to at least save themselves. The realization he comes to is one that escapes his breath. "Hyperspace on my mark."

It happened all at once, the escaping spacecrafts, the Book of KND being a Millenium Mamodo spellbook, The factory being blown to smithereens.

The Earth being taken with Grandfather to the Mamodo World.

You and your co-viewers sat in the Love Lounge dumbfounded and terrified at what they just saw, evil had won, Cartoon Network had died, and the world was robbed of a unique voice. You wanted to sleep in the lounge that night so the others crawled out through the vents. It truly set in as to why they chased you that October afternoon in Burbank, and why you easily poached a good chunk yourself.

They were escaping a sinking ship.

Somewhere in the northeast, a boy is comforted by his grandmother, saying that it is just a movie as it cuts to a straight hour of Kwicky Koala.

Somewhere in rural Kentucky is minding her own business drawing fanart of Nintendo characters and of herself.

Somewhere in Techwood Drive, Mike Lazzo was writing a eulogy for Cartoon Network on Dead South a Talk Show forced upon him by his new corporate overlords.

Somewhere in his Studio City estate, Joseph Barbera passes away heartbroken as a longtime fan of the network grieved in the Midwestern state both sides of affection called home.

Somewhere at the summit of Disneyland, Michael Eisner felt his sins crawling on his back. It came to this because of that fight.

Because Iger abandoned his destiny.

"The City Era was when I truly started to know Cartoon Network as more than just glowing pictures on a screen, and for Unus Annus to provide such an explosive end to such a rizzed up station like this one, is truly remarkable." - Murrayvation, How this Era struck Cartoon Network down (...for LAND DEVELOPMENT) | Unus Annus Era Retrospective

"Operation ZERO and the endgoal it served for Unus Annus didn't just wipe away an entire network in the most traumatizing manner imaginable, it managed to silence one of the most liberated voices in the entire medium. This is the very threat to creative freedom that Iger would pose, the thought that at any moment, when your show is doing just fine, he can just retcon in a tragic end to it for kicks when it's not making Avatar or X-Men money. That, to me, is what makes his reign of terror at Fox all the more chilling when you get down to it." - Jessalyn Matthews, Fox Kids Club Pick of the Week: 'Operation ZERO'

"Seeing as it was my idea to turn it into an Empire Strikes Back downer cliffhanger deal to wrap up Unus Annus... Fuck it, I quit." - Mike Lazzo, after explaining his role in the whole ordeal, as he walks off the stage never to set foot on Fox property again. Debut episode of Dead South starring Vic Mignogna.

You popped in the Narnia DVD and let Disney’s Fast Play carry you through the previews and into the feature presentation.

A grayish sky and a tannish field, some grains of rice sprouting out as the titular twerp tugs at our hero’s gi, causing his head to fall off in front of Dororo who then kicks it around like a soccer ball. Glenn animated it as his audition for Dororo when his Rapunzel project and Berny colored it in with the CAPS system from there. This teaser trailer was released with Narnia and was plopped onto this newfangled internet video site called YouTube. Frankly, the hits you’ve been getting have been insane. Of course, there were detractors decrying how unfaithful this was to the original manga but there were fans that were grateful that they were getting a hand-drawn project like this in the first place.

Every time you saw that teaser, you felt embarrassed but still, It was an effective means to hide the main story you felt the need to tell. Seeing that May 2007 at the very end motivated you and your team to build the best damn film you could.

(A/N: It's 7:30 somewhere.)

Looks like Bob literally ran with the old saying that "there's no kill like overkill". I bet the Parents Television Council would be very, VERY angry.

Last edited:
In the News (August 2006)
Looks like Bob laterally ran with the old saying that "there's no kill like overkill". I bet the Parents Television Council would be very, VERY angry.
This was all Lazzo, basically the stress of the talk show on top of the looming Iger regime basically caused him to create this nuke on Cartoon Network out of spite for the turn of events. Don't worry, I've got another alternate timeline where things turn out better for CN than Unus Annus.

Nicktoon Vets DNA Productions and Klasky Csupo deserting channel that made them famous

The minds behind Rugrats and Jimmy Neutron have left Nickelodeon behind to produce new shows for the Fox Kids Network in its new 24/7 form, complete with the adult swim, Toonami and Miguzi blocks it inherited from Cartoon Network. Klasky Csupo is helming a reboot of Samurai Pizza Cats with Byron Beaubien as a creator whilst DNA's Red Acres was a show they had shopped around to other networks before stopping at Fox Kids where it shall join the former program as part of its day one programming. (more on page 23)

Warner Bros. To launch 24/7 Kids' WB! network in response to Fox Kids

Warner Bros. Head Jamie Kellner has tapped Stuart Snyder to take the reins of a 24/7 incarnation of a Saturday Morning Block from the WB Network as it prepares to transition into the CW upon its absorption of UPN from CBS. CBS inherited the UPN network from its split from Viacom (more on page 16)

Kingdom Hearts TV show announced for Fox Kids helmed by Joss Whedon

Geeks of the world unite! Joss Whedon has been given access to the Wonderful Worlds of Disney with collaborator Seth Kearsey to build a Kingdom Hearts TV show set ten years before the original game. Stocked with characters designed by creator Tetsuya Numura as a stamp of authenticity, this features a trio of Keyblade Masters named Terra, Ventus and Aqua. (more below)

Tam Lin Shelved by Cartoon Saloon Deal, Florida Studio to focus on Small World.

Roy Disney's pet project based upon Irish folk lore has brushed against Cartoon Saloon's own Irish-Inspired film The Secret of Kells, which wouldn't be much of a problem except it currently has a three-film distribution contract with Disney so it would not make sense to release two Irish-Inspired films around the same timeframe. (more below)

Jacko rides again! Michael Jackson to collaborate with Danny Elfman on Small World

The news on Small World never stops, it seems. The film's musical score is to be helmed by the King of Pop himself, Michael Jackson as a lyricist and co-composer with Danny Elfman to add an authentic Disney Rennaisance flavor to the 2008 project. Starring Mary Gibbs in the lead role and Johnny Depp as... (more below)

Bill Gates Dead at 50 from Stingray attack

A humanitarian effort turns Grim for the tech mogul as he goes out of his element to protest the use of fossil fuels at the Great Barrier Reef when a feral stingray pierced his liver, medics arrived to find the fifty-year-old philanthropist having succumbed to the venom in his wound and was (more below)

Cartoon Network and the History Eraser Button

An article from The X Bridge by Jeff Harris

Back when I was 13 years old, Ren and Stimpy premiered. One of the first episodes was "Space Madness," a short that's still recognized as one of the greatest shorts ever made. In the climax of the short, Cadet Stimpy was punished for trying to help Commander Hoek get over his space madness by putting the ever-curious cat in charge of guarding the History Eraser Button, a device that nobody knows would happen if pushed. As Ren stated, what could happen is "maybe something bad" or "maybe something good."

Bill Hanna and Joe Barbera (“Who’s That?”) pressed it a few times for Scooby Doo, comic creators press it all the time to the point where the reader base often contemplates if continuity even matters or not?

But what would happen if one such button was pressed for an entire network?

That was exactly what had happened to Cartoon Network at the hands of Unus Annus, a 365-day Total Immersion Event mandated upon it and her blocks under then-new corporate overlord Bob Iger after buying whatever of Turner wouldn't be considered redundant by preexisting Fox assets. This meant that CNN, TBS and TNT were safe, but TCM, Cartoon Network and the Taft Cartoon Libraries from Hanna-Barbera and Ruby-Spears would be yoinked along for the ride leaving a cat and mouse and Great Dane behind at the Watertower. Iger himself was discarded by his former master Michael Eisener over at the Bugs to Warner's Daffy; The Walt Disney Company. And after a car accident left him out cold for a couple months, he decided to take the power back and head to Fox where he would revitalize the children's entertainment department of the Fox fleet of broadcast networks.

And that meant scarfing down as much of Turner as he could get away with.

It was business as usual for the then-freshly rebranded Cartoon Network until the tail end of July when Pat Sajak and Alex Trebek appeared to host a secondary Interstitial style for the network sharing airtime with its fancy cityscape created by the talented cats at Animal Logic. A countdown timer would be ticking to the event's conclusion which would echo their prior experience on the DuMont network. They often say if you've got to go, you've got to leave with a bang, and that was Operation ZERO

It would be when these two Judge Doom wannabes erase Cartoon Network…or to tie it to Iger's current workplace, its own Order 66 with an Aalderan thrown in at the end.

Codename Kids Next Door's closing act for the event, while rather grandiose for the show in general and working well with the mandatory crossover with the other show with a name starting with the word code, it was still destined to end with children frightened by their greatest fear being inflicted upon every character ever created for the network and rotting every inch of their home… for land development. No reboots to revive them, no reruns to remember them, the most they can get are DVD releases and that's basically it. So, the show on an Island nobody knows, aged to dust. The robot boy learning about the world, dust. The dog and flea due made in early CG, dust. The elvis-haired Casanova, dust. The intellectual weasel and his dim-witted baboon, dust. The super fighting robot boy learning about the world, dust. The Bean scouts spending their summer at Camp Kidney, in their own little canon so they're safe for now. The Grim Reaper's juvenile captors, they're hiding in the underworld but their hometown is living up to its name.

The trio of Sisters who dedicated their lives to fighting crime and the forces of evil? Dust.

The sheep who hid in the big city to escape the fate of being fuel for a ray gun, dust. The Samurai who sought to undo a dark future, yoinked out of a time portal and ageified on the spot. The giant robot that oozed with machismo, torn in half and turned into twin tapioca factories most likely. The Te Xuan Ze tasked with upholding the balance between the normal and the mystical, dust. The young boy who is constantly annoyed by his willowy older sister constantly infiltrating his laboratory, dust.

The global agency of children and the evil adults they fight? Dust.

The six youths who had been fighting the ultra-super virus that dispensed the tool that revived the menace behind all this destruction? Dust.

The best place for cartoons that has stood the test of time for thirteen years and ten months, a place made from Ted Turner's vast backlog of toons he bought for his attempt at a media empire, left with but a single hour of Kwicky Koala while its characters are forced to assimilate the entire mamodo world offscreen.

I'm not mad, frothing at the mouth, or angry about the end of something that has been a part of my life for over a decade. Don't get it twisted, I am upset that this whole event was little more than land development. But I haven't a qualm with Fox Kids, I think a 24-hour network is well deserved and well needed given the implosion of syndication lately. Me, I've been aware of Cartoon Network's end for a while now, so it didn't hit as hard for me as it's hurting for others.

You know what's telling about the end of Cartoon Network? A whole lot of people respected it throughout the years, and a lot of people who had been badmouthing its current perjectory have been very vocal about their sadness about the network's end. Just look at Toonami, the eldest survivor of the whole mess, the block helped create the modern anime industry in North America, and after Saturday, anime fans are finally acknowledging its impact. Cartoon Network was one of the most influential networks ever created. It came around at probably the perfect time: the dawn of Gen X into the entertainment industry, the birth of the internet, and the reign of Mystery Science Theater 3000 and its community of tape circulation, Toonami would see said internet's growth, MST3K's first two deaths, the creation of the DVD, and the rebirth of the anime industry, the latter of which was brought on largely because of Toonami. Without Toonami, there wouldn't be a FUNimation, let alone a FUNimation Channel. Bandai would still be primarily seen as a toymaker in the States. There wouldn't be an Adult Swim. There wouldn't be countless copycats like Anime Unleashed, Made in Japan, Ani-Monday, or Jetix. Cartoon Network has shined bright in its near decade and a half of existence, many creators got their start here, it shaked up television just as Disney did to animation on film, but the powers that be at their new masters over at Fox bought it for its channel space and the blocks as jewels for the new 24-7 era of their own kids network. As a result, July 30th, 2006 will be long remembered as a date which will live in infamy for animation fans. The fact that many creators are coming out and voicing their vitriol for the Operation ZERO fiasco and paying final respects on live TV to such an extreme that even the major news outlets are reporting on it is a testament to its impact on our culture.

Now, for all those people calling for a campaign to return Cartoon Network, stop. Many have tried, myself included, but a lot of us now realize (some after months and years of optimism that it will get better) that Cartoon Network is now nothing more than a memory. How you remember it is up to you. For me, Cartoon Network provided a calling in Toonami: Something about it screamed originality, innovation, and rebellion from the norm. On the surface, yes, it was a cable programming block, but to those that actually tuned in to watch, it was much more than that. It was an experience to see something that you couldn't see elsewhere. It presented animation without dumbing down the viewers. It didn't fill your head with unnecessary school knowledge, but it did give viewers advice on this strange journey called life. There have been five generations of Cartoon Network viewers that have been there in the good times and the bad times. I don't dwell on the bad times too much these days. Just the good times.

The June celebrations of a wascally wabbit, the theater going experience with cinema's booming baritone, a guiding head through works of the talents of yesteryear, the fifty-two weeks of completely new schedules for each day changing so fast, it made adult swim's look consistent in comparison, the impeccable sense of humor shared by the family of blocks that had to leave it behind as it went out with a quiet yet strong, sad yet content bang.

These are the things I will remember Cartoon Network by. Especially since Toonami inspired me to leap head first into the internet.

The X Bridge was the first site I created online. Way back in 1998, The X Bridge, then known as CN2 Toonami Realm (it became CNX Toonami Revolution less than a year later), was one of the first Toonami fansites online and is one of the few original sites remaining online in some incarnation. Others either moved on or left for other interests. I expanded beyond Toonami back in 1999, but it remained a part of the site's core, as it will even once Fox Kids points its scythe at it. TICA Base will remain a permanent memorial for Cartoon Network and the block that pretty much changed the industry, though it probably won't use the name. You can't just shake off something that has been a part of your consciousness for a third of your life as Toonami had been for me.

As America woke up to a world without Cartoon Network, let's not dwell on the bad times. Remember the good. Remember those days and nights you spent watching Yogi Bear, The Flinstones, Scooby Doo, Tom and Jerry, Looney Tunes, Quick Draw McGraw, Huckleberry Hound, Swat Cats, Batman, Superman, Static Shock, Justice League and Captain Planet, and those who cooked up The Moxy Show, Space Ghoast Coast to Coast, Dexter's Laboratory, Cow and Chicken, I Am Weasel, Johnny Bravo, The Powerpuff Girls, Ed, Edd n Eddy, Codename Kids Next Door, Megas XLR, The Life and Times of Juniper Lee.

It was a blast, wasn't it?

I refuse to shed any tears for the end of Cartoon Network and will forever remember its greatness. I will remember the fine men and women who were a part of its creation and production, most notably Betty Cohen and Jim Samples (the network's controllers), the crew at Turner Broadcasting who designed, guided, and inspired every facet of the network's feel for the rest of us, the voices of Cartoon Network, Peter Cullen, Chris Phillips, Scotts Hilley, Sanders and ‘Carrot Top’ Thompson, Don Kennedy, Phil Hartman, Harry Shearer, Keith David, Tom Clark, Carey Means, Doug Preis and Nicole Vicius, and damn near every creator that has left a footprint on the world of Cartoon Network from David Weiss to Maxwell Atoms, Craig McCracken to Genndy Tartakovsky, Mr. Warburton to Lauren Faust. Thank you all for your fine work, from Bugs Bunny to Kwicky Koala.

It's not going to be the same without Cartoon Network, but we all have to move on, congratulate the now fully grown Fox Kids, and embrace its bright future with open arms. If we don't have our good memories, then Unus Annus and the bang it went out on wouldn't have meant as much as it had. But if it's hurting you that much, then I'll leave you with a gift, my fellow creators and readers.

The History Eraser Button.

It controls the fate of your favorite story and your own stories. What happens if you push it? Maybe something bad. Maybe something good. I guess we'll never know because it's in your hands.

You won't touch it, will you?

Memento Mori.

Unus Annus.

Last edited: