Saving Basketball in Raincouver: A Vancouver Grizzlies Timeline

Opening
1280px-Vancouver_Grizzlies_logo.svg.png

Saving Basketball in Raincouver:
A Vancouver Grizzlies Timeline

Chapter One: Prelude to the 1998-1999 Season
Chapter One
In the face of looming labor unrest, the NBA and NBA players collaborated in a remarkable display of collaboration and compromise to prevent the 1998-99 NBA lockout. By recognizing the mutual interests of both parties and engaging in constructive dialogue, they reached a resolution and averted the potential disruption of the basketball season.

The negotiations between the NBA and the National Basketball Players Association (NBPA) were initially characterized by contentiousness and divergent positions. Key issues such as the salary cap, luxury tax, revenue sharing, player contracts, and the length of the regular season posed significant challenges. However, under the guidance of their respective leaders, the NBA and the players' union understood the importance of finding common ground and avoiding a damaging work stoppage.

Mediation played a crucial role in bringing the parties together. Skilled mediators facilitated productive discussions and encouraged compromise, fostering cooperation. Both the NBA and NBPA recognized the need for a fair and balanced agreement to protect the interests of the league, the players, and the fans.

Through a series of negotiations and concessions, the NBA and the players' union were able to bridge the gap between their initial positions. Both sides made compromises on critical issues. The NBA agreed to modify the luxury tax system and increase revenue sharing, providing a more equitable distribution of league earnings. The players, in turn, accepted certain adjustments to the salary cap structure and contracts, ensuring long-term financial stability for the league.

Leadership played a pivotal role in steering the negotiations towards a successful outcome. Key figures such as NBA Commissioner David Stern and NBPA Executive Director Billy Hunter displayed effective leadership, fostering an environment of trust and cooperation. Their commitment to open communication and willingness to explore innovative solutions helped overcome the impasse and allowed for a resolution to be reached.

The prevention of the 1998-99 NBA lockout had far-reaching impacts. By avoiding disruption to the season, players could continue competing, fans enjoyed uninterrupted basketball, and the league maintained its positive momentum. The resolution also set a precedent for future labor negotiations in the NBA, emphasizing the importance of early engagement, compromise, and maintaining the overall health and prosperity of the sport.

“I’m not gonna lie, the fear of a lockout was one of the most detrimental things that could happen to the team early on. We are nowhere near as Toronto, so if the lockout occurred they could’ve easily recovered from any losses that occurred during the lockout. For us early on we were a sub .25 team, not even a single winning season yet so far. Over in Toronto they had Tracy [McGrady], and had just drafted Vince Carter. Meanwhile here we were out in a crowded Pacific Northwest market, with a dedicated fanbase, but fans can only give you so much leeway in a predominantly hockey city.” - John McCaw Jr. former Vancouver Grizzlies owner, ESPN interview 2003

“We had a decent team going into the 98-99 season. We had a young core, and some cap space. But we really lacked some good distribution, someone who could space the floor. So we had the cash available and we picked up Todd Day who was gonna go overseas to play in Europe because Miami let him. I mean less than a half a million for someone who could give us a guaranteed roughly ten points off the rip, and scare defenders on the perimeter. I think it was worth bolstering our offensive capabilities.” - Stu Jackson, former Vancouver Grizzlies General Manager, ESPN interview 2004.

“One of our biggest concerns had to deal with Bryant Reeves. The team had signed him for roughly 55 million dollars over the course of the next eight years roughly… I believe so. And he was coming off putting up 16 points a game a night roughly. Some of the management wanted to get off Bryant’s contract, and I can’t say I disagree. At the time we had just drafted Shareef and Mike [Bibby], we could build something off that. But Shareef was coming into his contract year… same with Sam Mack. So, I made sure to get Jim Boylin on Bryant. I was going to make sure our 7 foot nearly 300 lbs center could play.” - Brian Hill, former Vancouver Grizzlies Head Coach, ESPN interview 2004.

YOUR VANCOUVER GRIZZLIES ROSTER!
PG - Mike Bibby > DeJuan Wheat > Lee Mayberry
SG - Felipe Lopez > Todd Day > Doug West
SF - Sam Mack > Michael Smith > JR Henderson > Jason Sasser
PF - Shareef Abdur-Rahim > Tony Massenberg > Carl Herrera > Makhtar N’Diaye
C - Bryan Reeves > Pete Chilcutt > Cherokee Parks
- Excerpt from Vancouver Grizzlies website

“Key Opponents for the Vancouver Grizzlies heading into their 4th season.
  1. San Antonio Spurs:
    1. Greg Popovich (Head Coach)
    2. David Robnsin (Center, All-Defense and All-Star. Former MVP and Defensive Player of the Year)
    3. Tim Duncan (Power Forward: 1998 Rookie of the Year, All-Star, and All-Defense)
  2. Dallas Mavericks:
    1. Michael Finley (Small Forward, All-Rookie)
    2. Steve Nash (Point Guard)
    3. Shawn Bradley (Center, former Blocks Leader)
  3. Denver Nuggets:
    1. Antonio McDyess (Power Forward, All-Rookie)
    2. Nick Van Excel (Point Guard, All-Star)
    3. Chauncey Billups (Shooting Guard)
  4. Utah Jazz:
    1. Karl Malone (Power Forward, Former MVP, All-Star, All-Defense, All-League)
    2. John Stockon (Point Guard, former All-Star, former Assists Leader, former All-League, former All-Defense, and former All-League)
    3. Jeff Hornaceck (Shooting Guard, former All-Star)
  5. Minnesota Timberwolves:
    1. Kevin Garnett (Power Forward, All-Star)
    2. Stephon Marbury (Point Guard, All-Rookie)
  6. Houston Rockets
    1. Scottie Pippen (Small Forward, 6x NBA Champion, All-Defense, All-League, and former All-Star)
    2. Hakeem Olajuwon (Center, 2x NBA Champion, 2x NBA Finals MVP, former MVP, former All-Star, former All-Defense, and former All-League)
    3. Charles Barkley (Power Forward, former MVP, former All-League, former All-Star

Last edited:
Love sports-oriented timelines. Watched!

Does Memphis still get a team at some point? Meanwhile, might more Canadian cities (Montreal, Calgary, Edmonton, etc.) add basketball teams of their own?

Looks good so far. I will point out, the Mavericks just drafted Dirk last year, so he should be included with the group.
Eh. A lot of people were critical of the Dirk pick, especially in the context of a Euro player over some like Paul Pierce who was still available. Plus, we don't know if he'll become the Dirk of our time, or another failed European draft pick.
Love sports-oriented timelines. Watched!

Does Memphis still get a team at some point? Meanwhile, might more Canadian cities (Montreal, Calgary, Edmonton, etc.) add basketball teams of their own?
Thanks.

Just have to wait and see.

Chapter Two: Hitting .075
Chapter Two
vancouverbasketballgrizzlies.jpg
"For the first time ever after beating the Pistons in Detroit the Vancouver Grizzlies seem on their way to beat their previous season win totals. After a resounding defeat of the Pistons, backed by an impressive 41 point game by their young star Sharif Abdur-Rahim the Grizzlies sit atop the NBA Western Conference with a total 15 wins and 5 losses. With averages of 21 points per game, 6 rebounds, and 3 assists the young Abdur-Rahim is already in talks for some early MVP talks..." - ESPN highlight segment, 1998.

"We were very happy with our progress so far. I mean how could you not be, we were about to surpass our win totals for every single season we had up until this point. Plus a winning team helped stave off the ownership for a bit. We were still in a pretty touch and go space, but... we just had to record at least a winning season. I mean we were doing much better than Toronto was doing across the country. AND, we had just beaten them earlier in the season in a close game. So, it helped that both of us were viable sports teams at the time." - John McCaw Jr. former Vancouver Grizzlies owner, ESPN interview 2003

"With 'Reef [Abdur-Rahim] excelling in our system, Sam Mack putting up nearly 18 points a night, and Mike Bibby in his rookie season putting up close to Stockon numbers in terms of points and assists per game I couldn't be more than happy. Yet... again, I don't want to rag on Bryant, he wanted to be the central focus point. I mean he was still giving us 12 points a night with close to seven rebounds, but 'Reef and Mack were firing on all cylinders, and Bryant would unfortunately clog up the paint. So, I had to drop Bryant back into more of a starting role player position where he was there to get easy inside buckets and be an interior threat on the defensive end. Which in the process I think only led to him being a bit bittered by the experience. Here he is 7 feet tall and one of the strongest men in the game second only to Shaq with centers like Robinson and Hakeem looking to phase out, soon to be making 10 million a year I can see why he'd be upset about not being the center piece. So... it didn't shock me when Johnny or Stu told me we were looking to trade him to get off his contract. But, who was gonna take that contract?" - Brian Hill, former Vancouver Grizzlies Head Coach, ESPN interview 2004.

"Rumors are that despite the success of the Vancouver Grizzlies, insiders are reporting on a possible trade for Center Bryant Reeves..." - ESPN article, 1998

"HILL & STACKHOUSE LEAD PISTONS TO THE TOP OF NBA EAST!" - Detroit Newspaper headline, 1998

"MVP KIDD!? SUNS BLAZE AHEAD OF COMPETIITION!" - Phoenix Newspaper headline, 1998

"YOUNG NUGGETS CORE LEADS SHINES GOLDEN!" -Denver Newspaper headline, 1998

NBA STANDINGS AFTER 20 GAMES...
EASTERN CONFERENCE

ATLANTIC DIVISION W L %
BOSTON CELTICS 12 6 .667
WASHINGTON WIZARDS 13 9 .591
MIAMI HEAT 12 9 .591

NEW YORK KNICKS 11 10 .524
PHILADELPHIA 76ERS 9 11 .450
ORLANDO MAGIC 9 12 .429
NEW JERSEY NETS 7 13 .350

CENTRAL DIVISION W L %
DETROIT PISTONS 14 7 .667
CLEVELAND CAVALIERS 12 8 .600
MILWAUKEE BUCKS 11 9 .550
TORONTO RAPTORS 9 9 .500
CHICAGO BULLS 8 13 .381
CHARLOTTE HORNETS 8 13 .381
INDIANA PACERS 6 14 .300

WESTERN CONFERENCE

MIDWEST DIVISION W L %
VANCOUVER GRIZZLIES 15 5 .750
DENVER NUGGETS 13 8 .619
SAN ANTONIO SPURS 12 8 .600
DALLAS MAVERICKS 10 10 .500
UTAH JAZZ 9 10 .474
HOUSTON ROCKETS 8 13 .381
MINNESOTA TIMBERWOLVES 7 14 .333

PACIFIC DIVISION W L %
PHOENIX SUNS 15 6 .714
PORTLAND TRAIL BLAZERS 13 8 .619
LOS ANGELES LAKERS 13 8 .619
SEATTLE SUPERSONICS 12 9 .571
SACRAMENTO KINGS 9 12 .429
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS 8 13 .381
LOS ANGELES CLIPPERS 5 15 .250

Last edited:
Wow, didn't know the Pistons changed their name to the Muscle! And Indianapolis Pacers? Thought it was Indiana.

Ok, for real, I like what you have going, especially with Kidd possibly with MVP on the Suns! Hopefully the Suns and Grizzlies can keep things up. Also, did Jordan retire before the season like IRL?

Wow, didn't know the Pistons changed their name to the Muscle! And Indianapolis Pacers? Thought it was Indiana.

Ok, for real, I like what you have going, especially with Kidd possibly with MVP on the Suns! Hopefully the Suns and Grizzlies can keep things up. Also, did Jordan retire before the season like IRL?
Thanks for pointing out the error. I think I was having a stroke when typing it. I think I was thinking Indianapolis Colts since I have that football brain rot. And maybe Muscle because I was thinking of Muscle cars? Either way those errors are fixed.

But yes Jordan is still retired.

Kidd is putting up the same points per game as he was OTL. However, Clifford Robinson is not as rusty like he was going into 98-99 due to the lockout so he 's still relatively a good secondary option who can score, with Kidd basically getting a few more assists per game than OTL. So his superb ability to score as a guard in the late 90s and his good ability to distribute the ball helps his much more honed team. Along with helping that Kidd early on in his career was one of the best defensive guards in the league.

Last edited:
Chapter Three: Midseason Slump, 98-99 Trade Deadline
Chapter Three
"Once we hit 15 wins we went 16-11. So we were still getting wins, but we had most certainly hit a slump and with other Western Conference teams passing us up we needed to make some adjustments. I sat down with John, and we immediately began making calls to see where we could go from here. We immediately knew we wanted to stick with 'Reef and Mike Bibby, end of story. However, Sharif with how well he was performing wanted to no doubt get paid by the end of the season. But, where were we gonna find the opening for that? That's when we looked at Bryant and knew we had to make the decision to move on from Bryant. We were gonna be down our starting center, but I believed in Brian Hill's ability to optimize Cherokee Parks and Tony Massenberg. In order to stay viable we needed to trade Bryant.

Most of the offers we got was going to end up putting ourselves over the cap space and other teams as well. That was Chicago. It appeared as if Jerry [Krause] wanted to tear down the whole organization and shake everything up ever since Michael and Scottie left. So they came to us with the offer of an older Ron Harper in his final contract year, and Brent Barry who was guaranteed 4.5 million dollars every year. Jerry got his new centerpiece for the next decade or so. We immediately got better with a veteran presence."
- Stu Jackson, former Vancouver Grizzlies General Manager, ESPN interview 2004.

"I mean yeah I was pissed. I was drafted to be the future of the team, and you know they found their younger pieces. But I got paid by Chicago the same amount, and we all moved on. It's unfortunate what happened but... I can't pass like Mike, and my body especially for my size wasn't gonna hold up like 'Reef's." - Bryant Reeves, ESPN interview 2008.

"When Harper and Barry got in I knew I needed them in the starting lineup. Felipe had spirit but he was too young to be the starting Shooting Guard. So I put Ron at the 2, Barry shifted down to the 3. Sharif stuck to the Power Forward position. That means we would have Michael Smith coming off the bench with Felipe. Smith would be coming off the bench to drop twenty, one point less than Sharif." - Brian Hill, Vancouver newspaper interview, 1999

YOUR VANCOUVER GRIZZLIES ROSTER!
PG - Mike Bibby > DeJuan Wheat > Lee Mayberry
SG - Ron Harper > Felipe Lopez > Todd Day > Doug West
SF - Brent Barry > Sam Mack > JR Henderson > Jason Sasser
PF - Shareef Abdur-Rahim > Michael Smith > Makhtar N’Diaye
C - Tony Massenberg > Pete Chilcutt > Cherokee Parks
- Excerpt from Vancouver Grizzlies website after 1999 trade deadline

"BRYANT REEVES & CARL HERRERA TRADED FOR CHICAGO'S RON HARPER & BRENT BARRY!" - Vancouver newspaper headline, 1999

"SHAQ'S MVP CALIBER EFFORTS PUTS LAKERS BACK ON TOP!" - Los Angeles newspaper headline, 1999

"WESTERN CONFERENCE OFFERS UP CROWDED MVP FIELD: SHAQ, KIDD, DUNCAN, AND ABDUR-RAHIM! HILL GIVES EAST HOPE!" - Sports Illustrated article, 1999

"SPREWELL'S ALL-STAR EFFORTS BOUNCE KNICKS BACK TO THE TOP OF THE ATLANTIC DIVISION" - New York City newspaper headline, 1999

"GRANT HILL KEEPS PISTONS ON TOP OF EAST!" - Detroit newspaper headline, 1999

"SILENT BUT VIOLENT, TIM DUNCAN DOMINATES IN THE WINTER!" - San Antonio newspaper headline, 1999

"DUNLEAVY'S BLAZERS TEAM EFFORTS LEAD TO SUCCESS!" - Portland newspaper headline, 1999

"KIDD DISHES AND DESTROYS COMPETITION!" - Phoenix newspaper headline, 1999

NBA STANDINGS AFTER 1999 TRADE DEADLINE
EASTERN CONFERENCE
ATLANTIC DIVISION W L %
NEW YORK KNICKS 31 21 .596
BOSTON CELTICS 28 19 .596
MIAMI HEAT 27 24 .529
WASHINGTON WIZARDS 24 28 .462
PHILADELPHIA 76ERS 22 26 .458
NEW JERSEY NETS 18 29 .383
ORLANDO MAGIC 17 31 .354

CENTRAL DIVISION W L %

DETROIT PISTONS 32 17 .653
TORONTO RAPTORS 26 21 .553

CLEVELAND CAVALIERS 25 24 .510
CHICAGO BULLS 23 26 .469
MILWAUKEE BUCKS 21 29 .420
INDIANA PACERS 19 30 .388
ATLANTA HAWKS 19 31 .380

CHARLOTTE HORNETS 16 33 .327

WESTERN CONFERENCE
MIDWEST DIVISION W L %

SAN ANTONIO SPURS 31 18 .633
VANCOUVER GRIZZLIES 31 19 .620
DALLAS MAVERICKS 25 24 .510
HOUSTON ROCKETS 25 23 .510

DENVER NUGGETS 25 25 .500
UTAH JAZZ 21 28 .429
MINNESOTA TIMBERWOLVES 21 30 .412

PACIFIC DIVISION W L %

LOS ANGELES LAKERS 37 13 .740
PORTLAND TRAIL BLAZERS 31 16 .660
PHOENIX SUNS 32 17 .653
SACRAMENTO KINGS 27 23 .540
SEATTLE SUPERSONICS 24 25 .490
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS 17 29 .370
LOS ANGELES CLIPPERS 18 33 .353

Chapter Four: All-Star Break, 1999
Chapter Four

"After passing the tradeline, and handling a package deal that included starting 26 year old Bryant Reeves for Ron Harper and Brent Barry (son of Warriors legend and Hall of Famer, Rick Barry) the Vancouver Grizzlies have capped a dominating 6-1 run since the trade. Heading into the final stretch of the NBA season with a 37-20 record, exceeding previous season win totals by double digits." - Section of a Vancouver newspaper, 1999

"Ticket sales were incredible following the All-Star break. By All-Star break we were well on our way to exceed 30 million dollars in ticket sales, 8.2 million from local television deals, and 7.1 million from national television broadcasting. The same as the Raptors in a much larger market, closing in on the Knicks, and more than the Lakers and Celtics who are historic teams who have preference when it comes to television broadcast on a national stage, especially during the late 90s. So yeah I was very happy with the turn around. I always jokingly said 'Thank God the Canucks suck' so that just drove all the upset hockey fans to come to our games instead. Brian Burkes and Arthur Griffiths weren't happy with my comments, but I couldn't care less. We were in the black in the first time in our franchise's history. Though thank God we didn't suck that year as well. Vancouver is thankfully not cursed enough to have two teams suck at the same time." - John McCaw Jr. former Vancouver Grizzlies owner, ESPN interview 2003

"It's pretty exciting you know... uhhh. I dunno how to explain it, guess I'm good enough to make the team. I'm just more surprised my boy Sammie [Sam Mack] got on the team as well. [Laughs]. I'll get to show out for all the folks at home who don't know Grizzlies basketball yet." - Excerpt from Shareef Abdur-Rahim post game interview, 1999.

1999 Slam Dunk Contest Participants:
  • Vince Carter (SG), Toronto Raptors. Made it to the second round after totaling 86 points. Loss by three points total.
  • Eddie Jones (SG), Los Angeles Lakers. Eliminated after first round after totaling 63 points.
  • Shareef Abdur-Rahim (PF), Vancouver Grizzlies. Eliminated after first round after totaling 66 points.
  • Allen Iverson (PG), Philadelphia 76ers. Made it to the second round after totaling 80 points. Winner after two successive over 45 point dunks.

1999 Three Point Contest Participants:
  • Sam Mack (SF), Vancouver Grizzlies [1 = 25, 2 = 27]
  • Vernon Maxwell (SG), Sacramento Kings [1 = 24, T = 21]
  • Joe Dumars (PG), Detroit Pistons [1 = 28, 2 = 29, 3 = 24]
  • Tim Hardaway (PG), Miami Heat [1 = 20]
  • Winner: Dee Brown (PG), Toronto Raptors [1 = 27, 2 = 29, 3 = 28]
  • Mookie Blaylock (PG), Atlanta Hawks [1 = 24, T = 24, 2 = 19]
  • Eric Piatowski (SF), Los Angeles Clippers [1 = 22]
  • Dales Ellis (SF), Seattle SuperSonics [1 = 10]

1999 All-Star Rosters:
Eastern Conference
  • Tim Hardaway (G), Miami Heat
  • Penny Hardaway (G), Orlando Magic
  • Allen Iverson (G), Philadelphia 76ers
  • Doug Christie (G), Toronto Raptors
  • Reggie Miller (G), Indiana Pacers
  • Ray Allen (G), Milwaukee Bucks
  • Grant Hill (F), Detroit Pistons
  • Keith Van Horn (F), New Jersey Nets
  • Shawn Kemp (F), Cleveland Cavaliers
  • Toni Kukoc (F), Chicago Bulls
  • Alonzo Mourning (C), Miami Heat
  • Brad Miller (C), Charlotte Hornets
Western Conference
  • Jason Kidd (G), Phoenix Suns
  • Gary Payton (G), Seattle SuperSonics
  • Stephon Marbury (G), Minnesota Timberwolves
  • Nick Van Exel (G), Los Angeles Lakers
  • Michael Finley (F), Dallas Mavericks
  • Eric Piatkowski (F), Los Angeles Clippers
  • Sam Mack (F), Vancouver Grizzlies
  • Tim Duncan (F), San Antonio Spurs
  • Shareef Abdur-Rahim (F), Vancouver Grizzlies
  • Karl Malone (F), Utah Jazz
  • Shaquille O'Neal (C), Los Angeles Lakers
  • David Robinson (C), San Antonio Spurs

Last edited:
Chapter Five: Prelude to the 1999 Playoffs
Chapter Five

"What sweeter way to end a season than a double-digit win and getting third place? [Laugh] W-who we play next? Phoenix? The Suns? Jason Kidd? Well... dang." - Shareef Abdur-Rahim, post-game interview following a 28, 11, and 3 performance over the Hornets final season game.

"I couldn't have been prouder than I was heading into the playoffs. To go from 19 wins to 53, nearly 3 times as many wins as the previous season. I mean what else can I say than say I'm proud and that we're glad to have Phoenix come play us." - Vancouver Grizzlies Head Coach Brian Hill, post-game interview following the final season game.

"You know it's exciting to go back, especially with all these young guns. Definitely feels like I'm back on the Cavaliers again, but we gotta lock within this week. Jason Kidd ain't no joke. I think it just goes to show how tough the competition is out West." - Ron Harper, post-game interview 1999

hqdefault.jpg

"Dan Patrick: Hello Ladies and Gentleman this is your host Dan Patrick and my new best friend in the booth Rich Eisen. Say hi Rich.

Rich Eisen: Hi Rich.

Dan Patrick: Fantastic. With the conclusion of the NBA season we can now show on the screen the bracket and who faces who in the next week.

Rich Eisen: After an impressive effort by the dynamic duo of Grant Hill and Jerry Stackhouse take on the Washington Wizards who actually the Pistons in two of their three encounters, a possible upset could be on the horizon.

Dan Patrick: The fourth seeded Miami Heat will be set to take on the .500 Cavaliers who did fall twice to the Heat over the course of the season, however it seems that the dup of Mourning and Hardaway may be a bit too much for Shawn Kemp to overcome.

Rich Eisen: Toronto for the first time in its young franchise history has made it into the playoffs and will match up against the young Boston Celtics core who despite their .500 record has been quite impressive down the stretch thanks the young trio of Ron Mercer, Paul Pierce, and Antoine Walker. This could be a matchup we'll be seeing for the decade if both teams continue with their young core.

Dan Patrick: Despite being one of the lowest scoring teams in the league this season, the second seeded Knicks behind Patrick Ewing and Latrell Sprewell will clash with another dynamic Eastern Conference guard in Allen Iverson who has put on a herculean effort to drag the 76ers into the postseason.

Rich Eisen: Taking this out west, the first seeded Lakers with MVP Shaquille O'Neal will take on one of the youngest cores in the NBA in the Denver Nuggets. No doubt Defensive Player of the Year winner Antonio McDyess will have his hands full down low.

Dan Patrick: The over 50-win Blazers will have a high noon showdown against the also over 50-win Dallas Mavericks. An impressive effort by the Blazers coaching staff to get a team with no a single All-Star for the season into such a high seed. We'll see if you need an All-Star to advance.

Rich Eisen: Another Canadian team has also made it into the playoffs as the Grizzlies led by Abdur-Rahim will clash with MVP runner up Jason Kidd. While the Grizzlies have secured home court advantage, the Suns have bested the Grizz on all of their encounters this season.

Dan Patrick: Finally the Spurs' Twin Towers duo of David Robinson and Tim Ducan will battle the running and gunning squad of the Sacramento Kings. Will the faster Kings be able to outscore the much taller and defensively sound Spurs?" - ESPN SportsCenter 1999

"TORONTO AND VANCOUVER ENTER NBA PLAYOFFS! THE SUDDEN RISE OF CANADIAN BASKETBALL." - Sports Illustrated Article, 1999

"DOMINANT SEASON SEALS SHAQ MVP HONORS! LAKERS MAKE PLAYOFFS FOR FIFTH YEAR IN A ROW!" - Los Angeles newspaper headline, 1999

"ANTONIO MCDYESS AWARDED DPOY IN WIN OVER BULLS IN FINAL SEASON GAME." - Denver newspaper headline, 1999

"THE GENERAL BRIAN GRANT, SIXTH MAN OF THE YEAR FOR TRIUMPHANT BLAZERS!" - Portland newspaper headline, 1999

"JASON WILLIAMS WINS ROOKIE OF THE YEAR OVER FAVORITES, PIERCE & CARTER!" - Sacramento newspaper headline, 1999

"AMIDST DISAPPOINTING SEASON, BEN WALLACE WINS MOST IMPROVED." - Washington DC newspaper headline, 1999

FINAL NBA STANDINGS 1999
EASTERN CONFERENCE
ATLANTIC DIVISION W L %
2. NEW YORK KNICKS 46 36 .561
4. MIAMI HEAT 44 38 .537
6. BOSTON CELTICS 41 41 .500
7. PHILADELPHIA 76ERS 38 44 .463
8. WASHINGTON WIZARDS 37 45 .451

ORLANDO MAGIC 31 51 .378
NEW JERSEY NETS 29 53 .354

CENTRAL DIVISION W L %
1. DETROIT PISTONS 52 30 .634
3. TORONTO RAPTORS 45 37 .549
5. CLEVELAND CAVALIERS 41 41 .500

CHICAGO BULLS 34 48 .415
MILWAUKEE BUCKS 34 48 .415
ATLANTA HAWKS 33 49 .402
INDIANA PACERS 32 50 .390
CHARLOTTE HORNETS 27 55 .329

WESTERN CONFERENCE
MIDWEST DIVISION W L %

2. SAN ANTONIO SPURS 56 26 .683
3. VANCOUVER GRIZZLIES 53 29 .646
5. DALLAS MAVERICKS 50 32 .610
8. DENVER NUGGETS 46 36 .561
UTAH JAZZ 43 39 .524
HOUSTON ROCKETS 39 43 .476
MINNESOTA TIMBERWOLVES 35 47 .427

PACIFIC DIVISION W L %
1. LOS ANGELES LAKERS 61 21 .744
4. PORTLAND TRAIL BLAZERS 53 29 .646
6. PHOENIX SUNS 48 34 .585
7. SACRAMENTO KINGS 47 35 .573
SEATTLE SUPERSONICS 40 42 .488
LOS ANGELES CLIPPERS 30 52 .366
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS 24 58 .293

1687551724415.png

Last edited:
Watching this!

Just learned the other day that the Grizzlies had the chance to trade the #4 overall pick in 1997 and Bryant Reeves to Phoenix for Steve Nash...

Chapter Six: NBA Playoffs 1999, First Round
Chapter Six
"Shaquille O'Neal and the Los Angeles Lakers are on their way to the Conference Sem-Finals after a 3-0 sweep of the Denver Nuggets in the first round. Defensive Player of the Year Antonio McDyess had his hands full with the MVP in the entire series. O'Neal in the three-game stretch putting up on average 27 points, 18 rebounds, 2 steals, and an impressive 4 blocks a night. He absolutely bullied McDyess, Lafrentz, and Fortson in the paint. Eddie Jones was of great help from the midrange, dropping 17 points on average across the series against the Nuggets. Though the Nuggets did put up a valiant effort in their first home game, they could not overcome the defensive effort by O'Neal who put up 8 blocks in a single game. Possibly showing why he should've been the Defensive Player of the Year rather than the runner up behind McDyess..." - ESPN article 1999

hqdefault.jpg

"Ernie Johnson: Well Jet, it appears as though another series this playoff has been capped off by another 3-2 victory. This time in the case of the Portland Trail Blazers have gotten the big win over the Dallas Mavericks. A series that the Trail Blazers won in which not a single player scored more than twenty points. Jet, what can you tell me about this series?

Kenny Smith: To me Ernie, that just speaks to a great team effort. Mike Dunleavy has built a terrific team around unselfish basketball. He knows what his players are great at, and what they are not. Dunleavy knows that Sabonis is not as atheltic as he used to be, so he uses him to create interior clogging of lanes to prevent guys like Michael Finley from driving to the basketball, or completely negating and make Shawn Bradley a non factor. Less than 10 points a game, and six rebounds in sharp contrast to his eight in the regular season.

Ernie Johnson: It may also highlight the over reliance of the Mavericks on Michael Finley. Going from 18 points in the regular season to 22 points a game this series. While the rest of the team on average has gone down two points per game.

Kenny Smith: Unless you're Dirk Nowitzki coming off the bench and average 16 points rather than nine off the bench. He seemed to be the only guy besides Finley keeping the Mavericks in the series at some points." - Inside the NBA, TNT 1999

"It's unfortunate to see what happened out there for Chris [Webber]. In game three they showed they weren't gonna let us sweep us, and it seemed like it could go the full five games. I'm sure Chris was demanding to at least be on the court, at least sitting in the corner near the baseline to get some high percentage three pointers off to at least scare us or draw one of our guys towards him. But it's just one of those freak accidents, I'm just glad it's not a pulled hamstring and just a strain. Though, I'm sure Chris would rather it be pulled rather than strained. Again at least with a strain you can stand and shoot flat footed." - David Robinson, post-game interview following a 3-1 series win over the Kings. txt

"In the 1999 NBA Playoffs against the eighth seeded Washington Wizards the expectations were that the Wizards were going to give the Pistons a run for their money, due to the fact the Wizards held the regular season series wins over the Pistons. It appeared to be that way at the start. Detroit's All-Star player Grant Hill coming up short in all three games averaging only 13 points in comparison to his regular 18 per game. However, if the "point-forward" couldn't get it done. He could always turn to his former Carolina rival in Jerry Stackhouse, whose midrange shot proved deadly against the Washington Wizards who never once led a single game. Easily clearing the way to the Conference Semifinals despite some early stumbling." - The Detroit Pistons: Six Decades of Memories by Steve Addy & Jeffery F. Karzen

"For the first time in over a decade an NBA playoff series has been decided in double overtime. As the fifth seeded Cleveland Cavaliers have bested the fourth seeded Miami Heat. Derek Anderson's three pointer in the final five seconds of regulation forced us into the first overtime, and then Alonzo Mourning's efforts inside the paint while driving forced us into second overtime with less than six seconds left. However, it appears as though the Heat had burnt out heading into the second overtime as Derek Anderson sliced and diced the exhausted Heat defense. The Cavaliers advanced to the Conference Semifinals to face the Detroit Pistons who have been well rested since their sweep of the Wizards." - Stuart Scott, ESPN sideline report 1999.

Vecsey-832x447.png

"Hello ladies and gentlemen this is Peter Vescey reporting from Boston as the Toronto Raptors have just won the series 3-2 over the Boston Celtics in a close series. That is until tonight where the Raptors have won by a resounding 16 points led by the efforts of their dynamic cousin duo of Vince Carter and Tracy McGrady. As you can hear from outside the locker room the Raptors are celebrating and preparing to head back to Toronto for some rest before heading to the Big Apple to face off against the New York Knicks who have barely scrapped by the underdog Philadelphia 76ers. If Ewing and the Knicks have enough problem with Iverson, I can only imagine what the three headed monster of Christie, McGrady, and Carter will do." - Petery Vescey, NBA on NBC 1999

0bab86695356470e4dc836df00bf8f00.jpg

"Bob Costas: Iverson brings the ball up, guarded by Ward. Dribbling, looking for an opening. Crosses him up, drives by Ward, spins past Sprewell who comes in for the help! Bumps into Ewing! OH! He jams it on Ewing! Backwards! How can a man of his size do that!?

Isiah Thomas: Hold on their jawing with one another! Talk it AI! You have hurt the pride of the big man!

Bob Costas: If you're Ewing in this moment you have to let this go, or else AI will continue to challenge you all night. Yes Patrick you have the size, but you don't have the speed to guard him." - Except from the Knicks-76ers matchup, 1999.

Chapter Seven: Grizzlies vs. Suns, 1999 NBA Playoffs
Chapter Seven

mike_bibby_grizzlies_jpg.jpg

"In an intense NBA matchup between the Phoenix Suns and the Vancouver Grizzlies, the stage was set for a thrilling basketball game. The Grizzlies, playing on their home turf, were determined to defend their territory, while the Suns sought to showcase their skills and come away with a victory.

Right from the tip-off, both teams exhibited tenacity and skill, creating a highly competitive atmosphere. The first half saw a back-and-forth battle, with neither team willing to give an inch. Shareef Abdur-Rahim, the dynamic forward for the Grizzlies, showcased his scoring prowess, pouring in 25 points while contributing 7 rebounds and 3 blocks. Mike Bibby, the talented point guard, added to the Grizzlies' offensive firepower with 21 points and 8 assists. Ron Harper and Tony Massenburg also chipped in with 15 and 10 points, respectively.

The Suns, led by the seasoned veteran Jason Kidd, orchestrated the offense precisely, tallying an impressive 20 assists and 3 steals. Despite being known for his playmaking abilities, Kidd had a relatively quiet scoring night, contributing 8 points. Tom Gugliotta showcased his versatility by posting a double-double with 15 points and 12 rebounds. Clifford Robinson anchored the Suns' scoring efforts with 17 points and provided a defensive presence with 2 blocks. Rex Chapman and George McCloud both added 9 points to the Suns' offensive output, while Luc Longley provided inside scoring with 13 points.

The Suns found their rhythm as the third quarter unfolded, pulling away with a comfortable double-digit lead. Their offensive execution and stout defense posed a significant challenge for the Grizzlies. However, the resilient Grizzlies, fueled by their home crowd, refused to back down.

Entering the final quarter, the Grizzlies rallied together, staging an impressive comeback. They gradually chipped away at the Suns' lead with their determination and renewed energy. Shareef Abdur-Rahim continued dominating, leading his team's charge on both courts. Mike Bibby's playmaking skills and Ron Harper's scoring ability further fueled the Grizzlies' resurgence.

In the game's closing minutes, the score remained tight, and the pressure mounted for both teams. With clutch shots and crucial defensive stops, the Grizzlies seized the momentum, ultimately overtaking the Suns. Their resilience paid off as they secured an 89-83 victory over the Suns, sending the home crowd into a frenzy."

jason-kidd-point-guard-and-shooting-guard-for-the-phoenix-suns-dribbles-the-basketball-down.jpg

"In a pivotal NBA playoff game between the Phoenix Suns and the Vancouver Grizzlies, the stakes were high as both teams battled to gain an advantage. The Grizzlies, buoyed by their recent victory, sought to carry their momentum forward, while the Suns were determined to level the series on the Grizzlies' home court.

The opening tip showed that the Suns came into the game with a sense of urgency. The Suns stormed out of the gate, led by the exceptional playmaking skills of Jason Kidd, who dished out 12 assists and showcased his scoring prowess with an impressive 28 points. Tom Gugliotta proved to be a force to be reckoned with, contributing 19 points and securing a double-double with 10 rebounds. Clifford Robinson provided a defensive presence with 2 blocks while chipping in 12 points. Rex Chapman and George McCloud added to the Suns' offensive onslaught with 16 and 13 points, respectively.

However, the Grizzlies, led by the ever-reliable Shareef Abdur-Rahim, refused to back down. Abdur-Rahim displayed his scoring prowess once again, pouring in 29 points while also making his presence felt on the boards with 9 rebounds and 2 blocks. Mike Bibby orchestrated the Grizzlies' offense precisely, tallying 8 assists to accompany his 11 points. Sam Mack stepped up with a solid scoring performance, contributing 19 points to keep the Grizzlies within striking distance. Though the rest of the Grizzlies' players had modest scoring outputs, their contributions in other areas were crucial to the team's efforts.

The Suns built a substantial lead in the first half as the game progressed, thanks to their exceptional offensive execution and dominant play. However, the resilient Grizzlies, aware of the game's significance, refused to allow their hopes to fade.

The Grizzlies mounted a spirited comeback in the second half, demonstrating their resilience and determination. Despite the Suns' initial advantage, the Grizzlies relentlessly chipped away at the deficit. Shareef Abdur-Rahim continued to lead the charge with his scoring prowess and ability to impact the game on both ends of the court. Mike Bibby's playmaking skills and Sam Mack's offensive contributions further fueled the Grizzlies' comeback efforts.

Despite their valiant fightback, the Grizzlies fell short in their bid to overcome the Suns' early lead. The final score stood at 100-90 in favor of the Phoenix Suns, leveling the playoff series at 1-1 as the teams prepared to head to Phoenix for the next games.

This intense playoff battle showcased the determination and resilience of both teams. The Suns, driven by their home crowd, managed to maintain their composure and secure a crucial victory to even the series. On the other hand, the Grizzlies displayed their never-say-die attitude, mounting a comeback that fell just short. As the series headed to Phoenix, both teams knew every game would be a crucial battle, with their playoff hopes hanging in the balance."

tom-gugliotta-of-the-phoenix-suns-during-the-game-against-the-charlotte-hornets-on-march-17.jpg

"The Phoenix Suns asserted their dominance in a pivotal playoff showdown against the Vancouver Grizzlies, securing a crucial victory on their home court. The Suns faithful erupted in celebration as their team emerged triumphant, edging closer to advancing in the playoffs and sending the Grizzlies to the brink of elimination.

Led by the sensational play of their floor general, Jason Kidd, the Suns left no doubt about their intentions from the opening tip. Kidd's masterful display showcased his all-around brilliance, as he orchestrated the offense with 17 assists while also contributing 17 points, 4 steals, and 2 blocks. The performance left the fans in awe and further solidified Kidd's status as one of the league's premier point guards.

Tom Gugliotta, the Suns' reliable forward, delivered an outstanding offensive performance, pouring in 24 points and grabbing 10 rebounds. His scoring prowess and tenacity on the glass were pivotal in the Suns' success. Clifford Robinson, a defensive force, showcased his shot-blocking abilities with an impressive 7 blocks while contributing 15 points on the offensive end. The Suns' depth was also evident, with key contributions coming from Rex Chapman, Danny Manning, and Luc Longley, who all played integral roles in securing the victory.

Facing a determined Suns squad, the Grizzlies looked to their star player, Shareef Abdur-Rahim, for inspiration. Abdur-Rahim again demonstrated his scoring prowess, leading the Grizzlies' offensive charge with 22 points. His ability to create scoring opportunities for his teammates was on full display, as he tallied 9 assists. However, the Suns' suffocating defense limited the impact of the Grizzlies' supporting cast, with Mike Bibby, Brent Barry, and Felipe Lopez struggling to find their rhythm.

The Suns maintained control throughout the game, dictating the pace and showcasing their offensive firepower. Despite a spirited effort by the Grizzlies in the third quarter, the Suns' resolute defense and efficient scoring kept their opponents at bay.

With this victory, the Suns have taken a commanding 2-1 lead in the playoff series, inching closer to securing their spot in the next round. The anticipation in Phoenix is palpable as fans eagerly await the next clash, knowing that one more win will advance their beloved Suns while spelling elimination for the valiant Grizzlies.

The Suns' faithful can't help but feel a surge of confidence as their team's potential shines brighter with each passing game. The electrifying atmosphere within the arena and the fans' unwavering support have undoubtedly become the Suns' secret weapon. With their sights set on victory, the Suns stand ready to seize the moment and continue their journey toward playoff glory.

As the series continues, the Suns will look to maintain their dominant form, while the Grizzlies must summon all their strength and resilience to mount a comeback. The stage is set for an epic battle, and Phoenix is ready to witness their beloved team soar to new heights."
- SUNS SHINE BRIGHT, TAKE CONTROL IN PIVOTAL PLAYOFF CLASH by John Simmons, Suns Beat Writer

EYgSl9CWkAYDIHn.jpg

"What a gritty performance from the Vancouver Grizzlies as they fought tooth and nail to secure a hard-earned victory against the Phoenix Suns, leveling the playoff series in front of their passionate Canadian fans. The cheers reverberated throughout the arena as the Grizzlies showcased their defensive prowess and resilience, clawing their way back into contention.

Led by the ever-impressive Shareef Abdur-Rahim, the Grizzlies roared back with a vengeance. Abdur-Rahim's scoring prowess was on full display, as he poured in 23 points, combining it with his dominant presence on the glass, grabbing 8 rebounds. His defensive impact cannot be overlooked either, as he swiped 2 steals and recorded an astonishing 7 blocks. Abdur-Rahim's contributions were invaluable, inspiring his teammates and thrilling the home crowd.

Mike Bibby, the crafty point guard, demonstrated his playmaking abilities, dishing out 9 assists while making his presence felt defensively with 2 blocks. Sam Mack and Brent Barry provided additional offensive firepower for the Grizzlies, with Mack contributing 14 points and Barry adding 12. The Grizzlies' supporting cast rallied behind their leaders, contributing to various facets of the game to secure the much-needed victory.

The game was a defensive showcase, with both teams fiercely contesting every possession. The Suns' Jason Kidd orchestrated the offense, tallying 12 assists and displaying his defensive prowess with 2 steals and 1 block. Tom Gugliotta's impressive double-double of 19 points and 19 rebounds was a testament to his tenacity on the boards. However, the Suns' bench failed to provide the necessary spark, and the Grizzlies capitalized on their struggles.

In a game marked by low scoring, both teams found their rhythm in the fourth quarter. Spurred on by their home crowd, the Grizzlies erupted with a surge of energy, outscoring the Suns 28-23 in the final period. The Grizzlies' collective effort and resolute defense stifled the Suns' offensive output, leading to a remarkable 77-73 victory.

This thrilling win evens the playoff series at 2-2, setting the stage for a nail-biting showdown in the final game in Vancouver. The Grizzlies' faithful are filled with anticipation, knowing that their team's determination and defensive prowess can overcome any challenge. The resilience displayed by the Grizzlies in this hard-fought battle has ignited hope among the fans, who now eagerly await the decider in what promises to be an unforgettable matchup.

As the series climaxes, the Grizzlies' journey is a testament to the Canadian spirit of perseverance and resilience. The team's performance has captivated the hearts of fans nationwide, and they stand ready to rally behind their beloved Grizzlies in the final game. With victory within reach, Vancouver is united in their support as they hope to witness history."
- GRIZZLIES GRIND OUT VICTORY, LEVEL SERIES IN DEFENSIVE BATTLE By Colin Fraser, Grizzlies Beat Writer

11487473.jpg

"In a sensational display of determination and skill, the Vancouver Grizzlies have etched their names in the annals of NBA history. With an emphatic victory over the Phoenix Suns, the Grizzlies have secured a spot in the Conference semifinals for the first time ever, sending shockwaves through the league and captivating fans with their electrifying play.

Shareef Abdur-Rahim once again led the charge for the Grizzlies, displaying his versatility on both ends of the court. Abdur-Rahim's impact was undeniable, contributing 20 points, 5 rebounds, 4 steals, and 3 blocks. He showcased his defensive prowess, disrupting the Suns' offensive flow and setting the tone for his team. The floor general, Mike Bibby, orchestrated the Grizzlies' offense precisely, recording 13 assists with 14 points. Together, they formed a formidable duo, ensuring the Grizzlies' offensive engine ran smoothly.

The supporting cast of the Grizzlies rose to the occasion, with Sam Mack, Brent Barry, and Ron Harper providing crucial contributions. Mack's scoring prowess was displayed, as he notched 15 points, while Barry and Harper added 14 and 11 points, respectively. The collective effort and resilience of the Grizzlies proved too much for the Suns to handle.

On the other side, the Suns fought valiantly but fell short in their bid to extend the series. Jason Kidd, known for his playmaking abilities, distributed the ball with 21 assists while adding 9 points and 7 rebounds to his stat line. Clifford Robinson emerged as the Suns' primary scoring threat, pouring in an impressive 24 points and swatting away 3 shots. The combined efforts of Tom Gugliotta, Rex Chapman, and Danny Manning contributed to the Suns' offensive output, but it wasn't enough to overcome the resilient Grizzlies.

The game was tightly contested, with both teams leaving it all on the court. The first half saw the teams locked in a fierce battle, refusing to give an inch. However, the Grizzlies seized control in the pivotal third and fourth quarters, showcasing their determination and executing their game plan flawlessly. The energy in the arena was palpable as the home crowd erupted in jubilation, witnessing history being made before their very eyes.

With the final score reading 95-86 in favor of the Grizzlies, the team, and its fans realized a long-awaited milestone. Their victory in this decisive game clinched the series 3-2 and propelled them into uncharted territory, the Conference semifinals. It is a testament to the dedication and perseverance of the franchise, which has persevered through adversity to reach this momentous occasion.

The Grizzlies' impressive triumph sets up a thrilling clash with the second-seeded San Antonio Spurs in the Conference semifinals. As they continue their playoff journey, the Grizzlies will be eager to build on this momentum and prove they belong among the league's elite. The basketball world waits with bated breath, anxious to witness what this historic franchise has in store for the next chapter of their playoff campaign."
- GRIZZLIES MAKE HISTORY, ADVANCE TO CONFERENCE SEMIFINALS IN THRILLING VICOTRY By Michael Simmons, ESPN Staff Writer

"Interviewer: Shareef, congratulations on securing the Vancouver Grizzlies' first-ever playoff series win. How does it feel to be a part of this historic moment for the franchise?

Shareef Abdur-Rahim: Thank you. It's an incredible feeling, truly indescribable. This win means everything to us as a team and to the entire Vancouver community. We've worked tirelessly to reach this point, and to see our hard work pay off is truly gratifying.

Interviewer: Can you take us through your mindset and the team's mindset heading into this game, knowing that a victory would secure the series win?

Shareef Abdur-Rahim: Our mindset was one of determination and focus. We knew the magnitude of this game and what was at stake. We didn't want to let this opportunity slip away. We had full confidence in our abilities and believed that we could make history tonight. So, we approached the game with a sense of urgency and a never-give-up attitude.

Interviewer: You had an exceptional performance tonight, contributing in multiple categories. How important was it for you to lead by example in such a crucial game?

Shareef Abdur-Rahim: As one of the leaders on this team, I take it upon myself to step up in big moments. I knew that my teammates were looking to me for guidance and inspiration. I wanted to be a catalyst for our success, whether it was scoring, rebounding, making defensive plays, or providing the necessary energy. It was all about doing whatever it took to get the win.

Interviewer: The Vancouver crowd was incredibly supportive tonight, cheering you on every step of the way. How much did their energy and enthusiasm boost the team's performance?

Shareef Abdur-Rahim: The fans were absolutely amazing tonight. Their energy was contagious, and it gave us an extra lift. We could feel their passion and support throughout the game, and it fueled us to play at our best. The atmosphere in the arena was electrifying, and it created an unforgettable experience for both the players and the fans.

Interviewer: Now that you've secured this historic win, how do you plan to build on this momentum moving forward in the playoffs?

Shareef Abdur-Rahim: This win is just the beginning for us. It's a stepping stone towards achieving even greater things. We can't afford to become complacent. We need to maintain our focus, continue to work hard, and stay united as a team. We know that the road ahead will be challenging, but we're prepared to face any obstacles that come our way. This victory has given us the confidence and belief that we can compete at the highest level." - Post game interview transcript, 1999

1687847154077.png

And of course the Suns blow it. Welp, hope the Grizzlies can take down the Spurs (the IRL 1999 champions).

Taking on Kidd and the Suns is one thing, but Robinson, Duncan and the Spurs is another. It's still great to see the Grizzlies get another chance in Vancouver, though. 😎